• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Will using one day make me dependent again?

ovo1024

Bluelighter
so i finally got clean off opiates, i was a Heroin addict alll of 2019 not real heavy, but smoking a $20 sack everyday or almost everyday 0.2 to be specific, obviously some days i was broke and some days friends would get me well if i was sick, but i never went longer then 72 hours without using cuz i would be to sick and usually get something. well anyways 5 weeks ago i got seven 8mg suboxone strips i did my own taper and took my last half strip 3 weeks ago. a few days followed of bad but not terrible withdrawls, then i finally started feeling better. its been 15 days opiate free no heroin or suboxone and i feel normal again! i have my energy back. i feel no withdrawl symptoms nothing. i dont wake up sick anymore for the first time in a year, but today i wanted to get high one time so i bought 3 points, a 30 sack i can tell my tolerance definetley went down cuz i smoked half the sack and been high for hours lol in the morning im gonna finish the sack and dont plan on getting anymore, really. but im worried, will this usage cause me to go into withdrawl? or will i be okay like i was?

so i finally got clean off opiates, i was a Heroin addict alll of 2019 not real heavy, but smoking a $20 sack everyday or almost everyday 0.2 to be specific, obviously some days i was broke and some days friends would get me well if i was sick, but i never went longer then 72 hours without using cuz i would be to sick and usually get something. well anyways 5 weeks ago i got seven 8mg suboxone strips i did my own taper and took my last half strip 3 weeks ago. a few days followed of bad but not terrible withdrawls, then i finally started feeling better. its been 15 days opiate free no heroin or suboxone and i feel normal again! i have my energy back. i feel no withdrawl symptoms nothing. i dont wake up sick anymore for the first time in a year, but today i wanted to get high one time so i bought 3 points, a 30 sack i can tell my tolerance definetley went down cuz i smoked half the sack and been high for hours lol in the morning im gonna finish the sack and dont plan on getting anymore, really. but im worried, will this usage cause me to go into withdrawl? or will i be okay like i was?
probably ull feel a little down for a couple days, not enough to give ya pain but be careful. Many ppl and I thought we could do this tons of times. Eventually that scalated pretty fast and ended up hooked again.

One single use will probably cause some amount of light withdrawal, or maybe not because you weren't addicted very long. However, you're almost guaranteed to slip back into active addiction. I was addicted for 10 years, heavily, and withdrew many times fully, and always convinced myself I could use "just one day", and every single time I ended up using daily again, not immediately but the one slip led to an increasing number of slips and I was back where I left off very quickly.

In fact, last summer I had been clean for 6 years, didn't even have cravings anymore. I was in a really 'trying time, and I had the chance to dose some morphine once. I just did it, told myself it was just that once. Actually had kind of a bad experience, I was way too high, spent the next day throwing up constantly. But sure enough, a month after that I did kratom. Started doing it more often, then switched to poppy tea again (what I used before I quit). Then got some suboxone. Spent 6 months chipping away, now I'm once again dealing with cravings and withdrawal. As an addict, you really can't use opiates without going back to where you don't want to be. Sad but true.

I REALLY fully believed I was no longer an opiate addict. I really didn't struggle with it anymore, it was in the past, I could have people using in front of me and offer me some and I had no problem with saying no, and it didn't make me crave it. But that one slip... I'm afraid I will always crave opiates now because the craving is back. I truly regret that slip, one of the big mistakes of my life. :\

The first time I relapsed like you're considering, the resulting addiction made the first time seem like nothing. It gets worse every time. It was about a year into my usage, I had quit for a 3 or 4 months and was feeling good. I think the next time I quit was a few years after that. Then I quit for 6 months and felt good again. Then I slipped again and entered the worst years of my life. I had a lot of short-term quits in there too but I quit 3 major times in my life. Even a 6 year period of no opiates didn't save me from slipping again, once I let myself do it that first time.

If you haven't done it yet, you could break what is likely to become an awful, soul-sucking cycle in your life. It will never be easier than it is right now.

One single use will probably cause some amount of light withdrawal, or maybe not because you weren't addicted very long. However, you're almost guaranteed to slip back into active addiction. I was addicted for 10 years, heavily, and withdrew many times fully, and always convinced myself I could use "just one day", and every single time I ended up using daily again, not immediately but the one slip led to an increasing number of slips and I was back where I left off very quickly.

In fact, last summer I had been clean for 6 years, didn't even have cravings anymore. I was in a really 'trying time, and I had the chance to dose some morphine once. I just did it, told myself it was just that once. Actually had kind of a bad experience, I was way too high, spent the next day throwing up constantly. But sure enough, a month after that I did kratom. Started doing it more often, then switched to poppy tea again (what I used before I quit). Then got some suboxone. Spent 6 months chipping away, now I'm once again dealing with cravings and withdrawal. As an addict, you really can't use opiates without going back to where you don't want to be. Sad but true.

I REALLY fully believed I was no longer an opiate addict. I really didn't struggle with it anymore, it was in the past, I could have people using in front of me and offer me some and I had no problem with saying no, and it didn't make me crave it. But that one slip... I'm afraid I will always crave opiates now because the craving is back. I truly regret that slip, one of the big mistakes of my life. :\

The first time I relapsed like you're considering, the resulting addiction made the first time seem like nothing. It gets worse every time. It was about a year into my usage, I had quit for a 3 or 4 months and was feeling good. I think the next time I quit was a few years after that. Then I quit for 6 months and felt good again. Then I slipped again and entered the worst years of my life. I had a lot of short-term quits in there too but I quit 3 major times in my life. Even a 6 year period of no opiates didn't save me from slipping again, once I let myself do it that first time.

If you haven't done it yet, you could break what is likely to become an awful, soul-sucking cycle in your life. It will never be easier than it is right now.
Thank you for the advice and yes i believe you, im not new to this at all. im 27 and been a heavy user of all drugs for 7 years (Methamphetamine, Alcohol, Benzos, Opiates) ive just never got clean off opiates until 2 weeks ago, so thats why i was asking this question. Xorkoth you are a good mod tho!

Thanks. :) Hopefully that helps you to be strong. I've been a heavy user/addict of most of the drug classes too (GABAergics, opiates, marijuana, stimulants, hell, even psychedelics at one point). Opiates grab me by the balls way harder than anything else. Except maybe GHB, that really got me in a similar way and I gave that up. Fortunately it takes a lot of trouble to source, unlike opioids, which I can get at various stores around here (kratom, and poppy tea which is one of the best opioids IMO).

One of the biggest problems with this is that you will likely feel mostly ok after this, maybe a hint of wd for awhile but if so then nothing you won't be able to handle. This can be seductive because you'll falsely realize you can use and avoid all the previous pitfalls. The reality is most likely different and once you fully realize this it'll be too late (again).

Another thing: if you are going to chip like this, it might be better to get just enough so you can use once. If your getting high, sleeping then getting high again in the morning then you are just tempting withdrawals to happen that much more...

"Here in the 2020 Winter Olympics we have someone attempting the Slippery Slope".

One of my favorite lines from a political podcast I listen to and also a perfect encapsulation of trying to use opiates after being addicted and getting clean. It is just not possible for people like us to indulge occasionally. I've tried it many times and it always ends in being broke and terribly sick. I wish it was possible, but the sad reality is it is not. The withdrawals compound and tolerance sticks, and your itch becomes more and more unscratchable.

You can return at any point. It's stessful knowing that but some people who are clean for many years and remain on low doses of subs have been like: "Well I guess I'm not an addict anymore." They proceed to stop what ever treatment and return. In some cases when dependency comes back one's usage is far worse than it ever has been in the past--like they're making up for lost time.

It's dangerous to dabble in opiates after previously being an opiate addict. It's playing with fire. Not to shame you or make you feel guilty, but for most people opiates have to be either in or out of their lives completely. There's very little ground when it comes to the class of substance.. and we all know too well how easy it is to slip back into a daily habit lifestyle again.

Last edited: