• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Will narcan/naloxone reverse a methadone prescription?

lanky_enki

Greenlighter
Hey there guys. I hope this is the right place for this sort of unhealthy question. Please don't waste your time with anything other than the question asked. I know it's unhealthy what I am about to ask.

I'm prescribed 60mg of methadone a day and have went 48 hours without the drink and still would feel nothing after doing a 24+mg shot of hydromorphone. If I were to use the narcan to knock the methadone off my opiate receptors would I be able to feel the hydros after this? Has anyone tried this?

My guess on what is going to happen when you attempt this is, first you will go into precipitated withdrawal once you take the narcan. Then when you try shooting the hydro's the narcan is just going to block them as well, either just barely getting you well or leaving you still in a state of withdrawal. If you are already in withdrawal then you might just make it worse.

I know you don't want to hear this but your plan has little chance of working, and even if it does you are going to have to suffer quite a bit for a one off high. If you want to try to get high on hydro you are probably going to have to endure the hell of methadone withdrawal for a while.

My guess on what is going to happen when you attempt this is, first you will go into precipitated withdrawal once you take the narcan. Then when you try shooting the hydro's the narcan is just going to block them as well, either just barely getting you well or leaving you still in a state of withdrawal. If you are already in withdrawal then you might just make it worse.

I know you don't want to hear this but your plan has little chance of working, and even if it does you are going to have to suffer quite a bit for a one off high. If you want to try to get high on hydro you are probably going to have to endure the hell of methadone withdrawal for a while.

I think he means to take the hydromorphone after the narcan wears off. I guess that, in theory, this could work. Though I wouldn't take my word for it as I've never attempted something like this.

I have often used heroin and/or oxy while on MMT (160mg/day) though, and I'd simply just wait as long as I could before using the H, between 36-48 hours would already allow for it to work for me. I guess it still blocked the heroin somewhat at that point, but it definitely got me high as a kite anyway if I took enough. Alternatively, when I didn't care about wasting some, I'd just switch to heroin immediately. Doing it this way, I'd always waste a good portion of the first few doses but I didn't have to suffer any withdrawal. I'd just take enough to keep myself out of withdrawal with the H or oxy until the methadone completely left my system, and then proceeded to get high as normal.

I wouldn't put myself through precipitated withdrawals personally, instead I'd just wait it out for as long as possible.

Not sure if this is helpful. :p

I think he means to take the hydromorphone after the narcan wears off. I guess that, in theory, this could work. Though I wouldn't take my word for it as I've never attempted something like this.

I have often used heroin and/or oxy while on MMT (160mg/day) though, and I'd simply just wait as long as I could before using the H, between 36-48 hours would already allow for it to work for me. I guess it still blocked the heroin somewhat at that point, but it definitely got me high as a kite anyway if I took enough. Alternatively, when I didn't care about wasting some, I'd just switch to heroin immediately. Doing it this way, I'd always waste a good portion of the first few doses but I didn't have to suffer any withdrawal. I'd just take enough to keep myself out of withdrawal with the H or oxy until the methadone completely left my system, and then proceeded to get high as normal.

I wouldn't put myself through precipitated withdrawals personally, instead I'd just wait it out for as long as possible.

Not sure if this is helpful. :p

Yeah that was my plan. Do the narcan and wait for it to run it's route and then do a fat shot of hydro. I swear this methadone sticks in my system longer than most or I am just wired differently. 160mg/day is a lot, I do not want to go on a high dose, and for you to be able to feel anything after 36 hours makes me jealous :p Sure you are using heroin, not hydromorphone, but they are both very strong opiates. I've never really had much heroin or any at all because I live in Saskatchewan and only gotten some in Seattle and Vancouver before and who knows if that was heroin or fentanyl or...pretty much why I like prescription more.

Could it be that I am just permanently jaded to opiates and am chasing a high that my messed up system is no longer able to feel? I really miss the warm energy and crushing rush of dilaudid. Have you guys been able to get properly high again after quitting methadone treatment?

Have you ever been in precipitated withdrawal??? It's like heroin withdrawal times a 1000... Fuck that shit. Not worth that kind of agony... Hell fuckin no lol

Plus you being on 60mg of methadone your tolerance is probably high from the meth... You probably wouldn't feel it that strong anyway.

Last edited:
I don't think this will work. The narcan will knock off the methadone but only for a short while since narcan has a short half life. Then when the narcan wears off the methadone will reattach, no?

Dude, I wouldn't do this if you pay me 10,000. You're talking about putting yourself into precipitated withdrawal... On purpose?

I know you said to just stick to the question, but I get the feeling you said that to avoid people crying for you to think about your health. OK, that's fine, I can get that. I'm a heroin addict, Ive never been too dedicated towards my health either. What I'm super dedicated towards however is not being dope sick, and what you're suggesting could make you wish you were just dope sick.

First of all, it you've never been seriously sick in withdrawal before, don't do this. Trust me, it's a big mistake. Don't even consider this unless you've been in serious withdrawal before so you know what you're getting into.

Which is the other thing, if you do this you'll likely be stuck waiting it out.

Just the idea of this makes me feel a little off. Channeling a million memories of being sick.

OK so back to the actual question. Might it make the hydromorphone feel better when the narcan wears off? Maybe. Which is NOT a yes. It's a maybe. I kinda doubt it'll help that much though cause ultimately you won't be in withdrawal long enough to lose much tolerance.

The thing is though, if you'd be willing to do this at all, it seems like it'd make a lot more sense to just go cold turkey for a little while instead.

It's your life man, my answer is maybe, but probably not by much. but I think it sounds utterly insane.

There's also the danger that if you try and use a lot more than you normally would to fight the narcan, the narcan could wear off putting you into an overdose. But if you have enough of a tolerance to be experiencing this problem at all that seems unlikely to me.

Last edited:
What will happen is you're going to block your opioid receptors with naloxone causing precipitated withdrawal. Once the naloxone has left the system, methadone will once again occupy the receptors, bringing you back to square 1. Ingesting an antagonist will not make the agonist (methadone) disappear. The methadone will still be in your bloodstream.

Also, this is more suited for BDD, so I'm going to move the thread.

Bad, very bad idea, unless you love to feel withdrawals.

Basic idea is told already: naloxone will knock methadone from receptors, not from bloodstream, and naloxone will also block all other opioids from working because these don't have such a high affinity to receptors as antagonists do.

By the way, buprenorphine has very strong affinity. F(r)iend of mine who is on methadone maintenance has once almost as brilliant idea of shooting bupe. Needed ambulance afterwards... and hell that buprenorphine is long lasting shit...