Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

will department of child protection get involved if I get on suboxone program

Drderms

Bluelighter
Ok so I've got a 6 month old little girl and I have been using codeine (CWE) and poppy seed tea for about a year now daily and its getting to the point where I don't get high anymore just use to feel normal so I made an appointment to get on the suboxone program had an interview over the phone they asked if I had kids I said no from fear of department of child protection getting involved , they then asked me to bring 100 points of identification they also said that if I do decide to be put on suboxone I would have to sign papers and agree to be a REGISTERED DRUG USER on the government system so my question is will the department of child protection see that or get involved for using drugs to get on suboxone even tho I am the best father I always put my child first and would do anything for her , has anyone else gotten on suboxone or methadone for a opiate substitute whilst being a parent it just scares me and if anyone else has experiences or know of anything bad happen in the same situation please let me know so I can cancel my appointment i have called multiple drug services and they don't have an answer for me any info would be helpful .

No they won't get involved. Me and my partner are on subutex and suboxone too. As long as there is absolutely no evidence of any domestic violence or abuse they won't get involved. We had a baby on subutex/morphine. They'll ask the mother lots of questions. They'll take her to another room like what happened to me and ask you lots and lots of times if there is any problems. Like yelling, and stuff. As long as there is no evidence then they'll not involve the department.

we had a scare though when we think a nurse in western sydney health accessed our details. Also the nurses in maternity are absolute bitches when it comes to treating the men of women having a babies in hospital. Its sad but just tell your man to stay away. those bitches get scared the moment my men questioned them over the test they did every hour. THey kept marking the wrong things like saying our daughter was crying when she had been asleep the whole time!

They'll hold over your head that your baby sick and like about the hourly test they take. every hour they would bang into my room. waking me and the baby up. OF course she didn't settle. of course she cried! they made me feel like the worst mother in the world because of this. I had to delete what i just wrote about the nurses.

Back to the program. Don't worry about telling them you have kids. just keep to your appointments, stay clean, take your suboxone and never ever push in queue at the clinic. Remember don't piss until youve been to the clinic for your dose.

The only disadvantages to the program is that it'll take you a good year to get takeways and flexible dosing. dosing every second day is hard when your working esepeically in retail like me. and don't trust your doctors promises unless they are in writing. tell them you want the promises in writing on the computer if they offer you any flexible dosing.

international and domestic travelling is also problem. thats why i made this account because i want help on what to do with travelling.

No they won't get involved. Me and my partner are on subutex and suboxone too. As long as there is absolutely no evidence of any domestic violence or abuse they won't get involved. We had a baby on subutex/morphine. They'll ask the mother lots of questions. They'll take her to another room like what happened to me and ask you lots and lots of times if there is any problems. Like yelling, and stuff. As long as there is no evidence then they'll not involve the department.

we had a scare though when we think a nurse in western sydney health accessed our details. Also the nurses in maternity are absolute bitches when it comes to treating the men of women having a babies in hospital. Its sad but just tell your man to stay away. those bitches get scared the moment my men questioned them over the test they did every hour. THey kept marking the wrong things like saying our daughter was crying when she had been asleep the whole time!

They'll hold over your head that your baby sick and like about the hourly test they take. every hour they would bang into my room. waking me and the baby up. OF course she didn't settle. of course she cried! they made me feel like the worst mother in the world because of this. I had to delete what i just wrote about the nurses.

Back to the program. Don't worry about telling them you have kids. just keep to your appointments, stay clean, take your suboxone and never ever push in queue at the clinic. Remember don't piss until youve been to the clinic for your dose.

The only disadvantages to the program is that it'll take you a good year to get takeways and flexible dosing. dosing every second day is hard when your working esepeically in retail like me. and don't trust your doctors promises unless they are in writing. tell them you want the promises in writing on the computer if they offer you any flexible dosing.

international and domestic travelling is also problem. thats why i made this account because i want help on what to do with travelling.

thank you so much I will tell them I have kids and I don't mind going to the chemist everyday I don't need takeaways because Im not travelling like you , it must be hard . I will be staying clean after I get put on suboxone what do you mean by dosing every second day I thought you dose daily thanks :)

They shouldn't get involved, unless there's something you're not saying. But - a little off topic, you're swapping a mild opiate addiction for a very serious/strong addiction. Suboxone is basically a living nightmare to come clean from compared to codeine/CWE.

EDIT: Even if you're taking a relatively large dose of codeine 600-1000mg/day, in all likely hood even a relatively small dose of suboxone, like 1mg (the smallest they prescribe in Aus is 2mg) will likely get you completely smashed. I'd really caution against this, even if you're struggling to get off the codeine, I don't see swapping it over for suboxone being a good solution. Sure, it's a bit cheaper, depending how much codeine you're buying and sort of more stable (sort of not though, because you're tied to a chemist) - it's a huge habit, one that is difficult to come back from.

Last edited:
Are you Aboriginal?

The only time I've heard of children being removed only for drugs is when one of the parents (usually the mother) is Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander. I have one friend in Adelaide who had her children removed because a social worker reported that she was smoking weed, of all things. Non-Aboriginal women don't usually have children removed unless there is violence, abuse or serious neglect.

I have spoken to programs that work specifically with drug dependent mothers (in NSW) and they all say they automatically report to child services when you enroll, but this doesn't necessarily mean your children will be removed. Maybe worth an anonymous call to the service you're going to be using to ask if they report mothers on their program as a default?

They shouldn't get involved, unless there's something you're not saying. But - a little off topic, you're swapping a mild opiate addiction for a very serious/strong addiction. Suboxone is basically a living nightmare to come clean from compared to codeine/CWE..

stop it. Suboxone is way easier to quit seeing you can taper down quite easily. There are dozens of guides on the internet about long tapers and how the trick is to get to 0.5 or 0.25mg a day when you jump. At which point any sickness is quite benign.

I have spoken to programs that work specifically with drug dependent mothers (in NSW) and they all say they automatically report to child services when you enroll, but this doesn't necessarily mean your children will be removed. Maybe worth an anonymous call to the service you're going to be using to ask if they report mothers on their program as a default?

Really. A have a friend who went onto the program (after i had a chat about my own experience) and they had a child/pregnancy involved. Apparently they were told by the nurses/clinic/dr that they wouldn't report anything to department.

Though since going through the program the amount of lies these professional tell are staggering. I wouldn't be surprised if they did report people after telling them expressly that they weren't.

Really. A have a friend who went onto the program (after i had a chat about my own experience) and they had a child/pregnancy involved. Apparently they were told by the nurses/clinic/dr that they wouldn't report anything to department.

Though since going through the program the amount of lies these professional tell are staggering. I wouldn't be surprised if they did report people after telling them expressly that they weren't.

Different programs might have different rules. Here's the clinical guidelines for substance use in pregnancy http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/mhdao/...substance-use-during-pregnancy-guidelines.pdf

And here's the Mandatory Reporters Guide - it has a specific section on substance abuse. You can clearly see that what the NSW government thinks are major risk factors are not necessarily what we would agree with. http://sdm.community.nsw.gov.au/mrg/screen/DoCS/en-GB/summary?user=guest

I'm a father not a mother. And no I'm not aboriginal. Just to make sure , I called the programe and pretended to be someone else and asked if it automatically gets sent through or if it comes up in the departments system . And they said no everything is confidential ,so I don't even see a reason to tell them about my child if it doesn't get come up on the departments system Unless violence or abuse or the children are at any harm which she's not they keep everything confidential. And for the guy saying suboxone is horrible to come off , I know a lot of people that have successfully come off suboxone when there ready , I want to be on suboxone not just for withdrawals but also for very strong cravings like I can't stop thinking about opiates I do codeine and poppy tea everyday but also do other opiates when there available ive already made the appointment and I can't wait to commence treatment I'm sick of spending MY cash on opiates. Thanks for the replies guys

stop it. Suboxone is way easier to quit seeing you can taper down quite easily. There are dozens of guides on the internet about long tapers and how the trick is to get to 0.5 or 0.25mg a day when you jump. At which point any sickness is quite benign.

That hasn't been my experience at all. I've been tapering for the past year (after 3 years on 24mg) and have only managed to halve my dose, and even then have gone through discomfort plenty of times when I made the mistake of reducing too fast. Granted I'm fairly sensitive to the withdrawal, I imagine thanks to the number of times I've put myself through it due to what my pattern of use was like (I suspect a process like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindling is in effect, and friends have had similar experiences, although it's only been studied for GABAergic drugs), but I've spoken to other people tapering and it isn't the painless, breezy process you describe.

I can't speak for actually jumping off, since I haven't gotten there yet, but here's an article by a suboxone doctor about what to expect after jumping off long term use http://www.pbod.org/detoxing-suboxone-fear-caused-lack-knowledge/ . And I did fairly constant "mini-tapers" during my first year on the program so I could swap back to other opiates for a few days, all of which were very uncomfortable. You can spread out the process as much as you want, but getting your brain back to homeostasis after bombarding it with opiates for an extended period of time is going to involve discomfort as some stage or another - just a fact of life.

And Mostly-Human is right, even a low dose of suboxone is going to have a strong effect on someone used to CWE's and equivalent seed tea doses - and clinic doctors don't generally prescribe low doses, instead generally pushing patients up onto the higher doses (16mg+) to make them more firmly dependent on the suboxone and thus less easily able to revert to other opiates. So it's quite likely that OP will walk around fairly fucked up every day (and not in a fun way) for a few weeks/months, and then be left with a big habit and the consequent side effects.

Then there's the whole issue of actually, you know, being on the program. It's cheaper than other habits, but the daily $5 - $10 still adds up. And there's going to pick up your dose every day (for a year, until it's just every other day, and then in another 6 months you "only" have to go in twice a week), and if you're at a clinic (thank God I dodged that bullet) I've heard nothing but horror stories about the nurses, the doctors and the other clients (oh, and the urine tests). And just as a bonus, you instantly get thrown into the "scamming drug addict" column by every doctor you see, which is fun.

I'm not saying people shouldn't go onto suboxone (although the system does need some major reforms) - someone has to make that decision for themselves. But getting onto suboxone after CWE/PST abso-fucking-lutely is a big leap in terms of upgrading your opioid dependence, and it comes with a whole load of financial, social and medical baggage. And getting off suboxone is nowhere near as easy and painless as just cutting a slightly larger slice off your dose every week. And then you're right back where you started unless you've actually used the time on suboxone to figure out why you became so enamored with opiates and how to get your life and your head in a place that will allow you to live life without them.

All of that should be taken into account before the decision is made. In this particular case, I would say at the least that someone in the OP's situation should at the least make a couple serious attempts at a self taper (with guidance from a doctor and a mental health professional, ideally) before considering suboxone.

Thanks for the advice crankinit your post was very helpful. The problem is not just withdrawals I also crave the drug a lot ,and do other opiates when there available but I stopped hanging with old mates when i started getting urine test 2 days a week.
So it's almost impossible to get other opiates . That's why I CWE and doctor shop and get stronger opiates like oxynorm .
i hate being sober , I've been doing drugs since I was 14 and I'm now 22 . I think suboxone on a low dose like 2mg won't get me fucked up . The only concern I have is being a registered drug user , and if I do have a sore back I can't get opiates they will just prescribe voltaren (diclofenac) anti amflamitorys , my appointment is on the 19th of November , I'm considering cancelling my appointment , main reason I don't wanna get treated like a drug seeker every time I see a doctor when I'm truly in pain , your advice has really got me thinking crankinit I really appreciate the time you took to help me with your post , I get like 500 views on this post but no one can get give me advice that will help me , except for you and throwaway1984 . There's always a downside to something good , thanks again crankinit :)

Not a problem, I hope you manage to find a way to stabilize your opiate use. But there's absolutely a stigma attached to suboxone and if I'm honest, I'd say that once a doctor finds out you've been on the program, your chances of getting other opiates from them is going to be pretty much zero (there's also the problem with other opiates not working while you're on suboxone anyway). And expect to be treated differently by doctors as soon as they find out you're on the program, even if you're seeing them for something which has nothing to do with opiates or drugs (I had to shut down a lecture about how I should be tapering faster from a fucking allergist once - he just launched off on the subject as soon as I mentioned suboxone as one of the meds I was taking).

That said, unless it's different for clinics (I get my prescription from my psychiatrist), I'm fairly sure other doctors aren't automatically alerted that you're on suboxone. My experience has been that there's no database which makes "DRUG ADDICT" pop up next to your name every time they type it into the computer, doctors have only found out when I've told them or another doctor has.

The only part I'm not sure about is how this works regarding medicare and authority scripts.

That said, unless it's different for clinics (I get my prescription from my psychiatrist), I'm fairly sure other doctors aren't automatically alerted that you're on suboxone. My experience has been that there's no database which makes "DRUG ADDICT" pop up next to your name every time they type it into the computer, doctors have only found out when I've told them or another doctor has.

Yeah - this is correct. When I was last on the (sub) program, I had one doctor for that and another doctor for everything else. My regular doctor definitely didn't seem to have any indication I was on suboxone. In fact, I had a case of shingles (quite painful) and my regular doctor prescribed me so 30mg codeine "forte" tablets (lol) and gave me a bit of a warning that they might make me drowsy, etc. Certainly did not appear to have any knowledge that I was in fact a heroin addict.

EDIT/OTT: Way off topic, but narcotics do NOTHING for nerve-pain/shingles! I switched back onto H from the sub, for the duration of the shingles and it did nothing to ease the pain, absolutely nothing. Apparently this is pretty common for nerve pain. Eventually my doctor put me on some old tri-cyclic anti-depressants that had some side-affect of assisting with nerve pain, they did actually help - the heroin did nothing.