Why Police Lie Under Oath

03POLICE-articleInline.jpg

New York Times

THOUSANDS of people plead guilty to crimes every year in the United States because they know that the odds of a jury’s believing their word over a police officer’s are slim to none. As a juror, whom are you likely to believe: the alleged criminal in an orange jumpsuit or two well-groomed police officers in uniforms who just swore to God they’re telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but? As one of my colleagues recently put it, “Everyone knows you have to be crazy to accuse the police of lying.”

But are police officers necessarily more trustworthy than alleged criminals? I think not. Not just because the police have a special inclination toward confabulation, but because, disturbingly, they have an incentive to lie. In this era of mass incarceration, the police shouldn’t be trusted any more than any other witness, perhaps less so.

That may sound harsh, but numerous law enforcement officials have put the matter more bluntly. Peter Keane, a former San Francisco Police commissioner, wrote an article in The San Francisco Chronicle decrying a police culture that treats lying as the norm: “Police officer perjury in court to justify illegal dope searches is commonplace. One of the dirty little not-so-secret secrets of the criminal justice system is undercover narcotics officers intentionally lying under oath. It is a perversion of the American justice system that strikes directly at the rule of law. Yet it is the routine way of doing business in courtrooms everywhere in America.”

The New York City Police Department is not exempt from this critique. In 2011, hundreds of drug cases were dismissed after several police officers were accused of mishandling evidence. That year, Justice Gustin L. Reichbach of the State Supreme Court in Brooklyn condemned a widespread culture of lying and corruption in the department’s drug enforcement units. “I thought I was not naïve,” he said when announcing a guilty verdict involving a police detective who had planted crack cocaine on a pair of suspects. “But even this court was shocked, not only by the seeming pervasive scope of misconduct but even more distressingly by the seeming casualness by which such conduct is employed.”

Remarkably, New York City officers have been found to engage in patterns of deceit in cases involving charges as minor as trespass. In September it was reported that the Bronx district attorney’s office was so alarmed by police lying that it decided to stop prosecuting people who were stopped and arrested for trespassing at public housing projects, unless prosecutors first interviewed the arresting officer to ensure the arrest was actually warranted. Jeannette Rucker, the chief of arraignments for the Bronx district attorney, explained in a letter that it had become apparent that the police were arresting people even when there was convincing evidence that they were innocent. To justify the arrests, Ms. Rucker claimed, police officers provided false written statements, and in depositions, the arresting officers gave false testimony.

Mr. Keane, in his Chronicle article, offered two major reasons the police lie so much. First, because they can. Police officers “know that in a swearing match between a drug defendant and a police officer, the judge always rules in favor of the officer.” At worst, the case will be dismissed, but the officer is free to continue business as usual. Second, criminal defendants are typically poor and uneducated, often belong to a racial minority, and often have a criminal record. “Police know that no one cares about these people,” Mr. Keane explained.

All true, but there is more to the story than that.

Police departments have been rewarded in recent years for the sheer numbers of stops, searches and arrests. In the war on drugs, federal grant programs like the Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant Program have encouraged state and local law enforcement agencies to boost drug arrests in order to compete for millions of dollars in funding. Agencies receive cash rewards for arresting high numbers of people for drug offenses, no matter how minor the offenses or how weak the evidence. Law enforcement has increasingly become a numbers game. And as it has, police officers’ tendency to regard procedural rules as optional and to lie and distort the facts has grown as well. Numerous scandals involving police officers lying or planting drugs — in Tulia, Tex. and Oakland, Calif., for example — have been linked to federally funded drug task forces eager to keep the cash rolling in.

cont at
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/03/opinion/sunday/why-police-officers-lie-under-oath.html

Pushton;11289515 said:
That oath they make you recite is there for their protection, and as a gimmick used to discredit an individuals testimony. I mean after all, if you lie about the color of the shirt you were wearing, then everything you have said must be a lie as well. They then use that little oath you took as a tool to eliminate anything you may have done, good or bad for the defense/prosecution. Then the judge can have you charged with perjury is some instances allowing you the right to stay in jail until whatever the judge has decided is your repentance is paid in full.

That is just my take on it all. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yep it works like this for civil trials too. All you need is a shark of a lawyer and a sociopathic personality (smooth and charming) and you can make the judge believe anything. Victims pathologies often lead them to appear incompetent in front of the judge, they think emotion and common sense will win out when that isn't the way the justice system works at all (not going to get into it but I and my family have been betrayed by the justice system big time more than once)

Glad I'm not seeing a bunch of pro-leo b.s. on here like most sites "well it's only a very tiny minority that behave that way" No it's only a very tiny minority that are stupid enough or unlucky enough to get caught.

Something similar to this happened to me in Texas. Here in California, after I was raped and while I was in the hospital , the male cop asked if he could take me out to dinner when I get well!?!!??

bongerman;11281283 said:
Wow a wake up call. If your interested in more corrupt police stories look up the Miami river cops. It was back in the 1980's. Can't believe this is really what's happening

I am from PR., and here the police must lie in order to get people in jail. They never have enough evidence, and have to fabricate things to at least make believe that they are doing their job. Is a Shame...

In drug cases, they plant drugs on people's cars and do a lot of crazy dishonorable stuff..

Luis

bongerman;11281283 said:
Wow a wake up call. If your interested in more corrupt police stories look up the Miami river cops. It was back in the 1980's. Can't believe this is really what's happening
I read in the plain dealer that the grand jury would indict an apple if it was put in front of them. its amazing the way the legal system works, its all about money and if you dont have it plan on spending time in jail and your family paying for you. It makes no since none of it. Honestly i wasnt a past criminal I would try and get into the judicial system and make things right one way or another. This whole article is soo correct about how corrupt these police out here can be!!!:!

They lie because they are lazy jerks. It is human nature to lie. I've had plenty of experience dealing with lying police officers. IMO let them lie, it makes it easier to beat your case if you can prove they are lying. And don't feel bullied into pleading guilty either, they always expect this, which is why they fabricate evidence and lie in the first place. Read them like a book and you learn... A law library is also a good place to go if you find yourself in this situation. Theres one at my Uni, I beat nearly all my cases by going to the library and reading the laws i was charged under. If all else fails get a good lawyer, you know the kind thats good at representing you and lies just as well if not better than the police....

I think things are pretty different in the US to in Aus though.

The justice system concerning drugs is so f'd up. You get charged with a possession and they try to scare you with all these horrible scenarios to get you to just make a deal. The courts just want money!!! probation, drug tests, fines, fees, its all a business reallly, and they want there money. First never believe what a cop says, they'll tell u your friend ratted on you and said its all yours so you better say something to protect yourself. I had a friend who overdosed on Heroin at a friends house I was also at, and the detective told me my friend had died and I should tell where he got the H to defend his honor or something, and it was ALL LIES my friend was alive in the hospital. If your ever arrrested for drugs DONT SAY ANNYTHING EXCEPT LAWYER PLEASE cops hate this cause they cant ask you any questions and thats how they trip you up, askin the same thing over and over waitin for you to slip. Keep your head together, dont say anything..

The_Rogue;11281540 said:
We can't fire them all, so what on earth are we going to do? (be more careful?! how??)
maybe all police should record absolutely everything (while on duty) from cameras on their person.

make police work public and transparent.

I've done a few years in prison on a few occasions so there is no love lost between me and cops. When they ask me questions I lie my ass off and never tell them the truth (or whole story). In kind they lie their asses off and never tell the truth. They do their job and I do mine. I've walked a lot more times than I've been inside. It's just a game nothing personal.

OP, as a sheriff's deputy, I would like to apologize on behalf of officers who make it their job to "arrest people" instead of protecting and serving the communities they are in.

I am personally not aware of any instances where any deputy or city police officer in my area has lied under oath. I will say, however, that various types of lies are commonly told during investigations or even regular traffic stops.

I read a lot of stories where people claim that police officer's lied on the stand. I have also talked to a lot of cops who ascertain defendants and witnesses lie on the stand. It is honestly one of those "he said/she said" type issues. Who's really telling the truth?

In any case, if the claims are true of anyone perjuring themselves, shame on them. They're 100% wrong for doing so - LEO or likewise.

suburban white boy here. swim caught with 2 bags of H. parked in his car texting for 20mins when police officer drives up and approaches my vehicle. no reason he should have done that. im still confused why. maybe a nosey neighbor called for me parking in front of their house. but i wasnt doing anything yet. just on the phone. anyway FFW, court day. Cop lies under oath saying he approached my vehicle due to the fact i was "suspicous and looked under the influence.." i dont know how someone can look UTI when passing by. but then again lied when asked if my car was on or off and in park or not with the lights on or off. COPS lie. its just so they can make their case for the prosecutor. luckily he story didn't quite add up and i had a smart judge who threw that shit out of court. its all about probable cause. Thank GoD for probable cause. wish swim luck for the DUI charge from same night... same cop same shit...

Marie1010;11305045 said:
Something similar to this happened to me in Texas. Here in California, after I was raped and while I was in the hospital , the male cop asked if he could take me out to dinner when I get well!?!!??

What a fucked-up, sad story. Sorry for you.
Please emerge stronger and victorious. <3

my dad has been retired now for about the same amount of time that he was a police officer.

i caught him in a lie today. i am 54 years old, people. his game is finally slipping... this is the first time i have ever caught him.

I found myself in a jam when two undercover cops verbally attacked and intimidated my late fiance and I back in 2010. We went to get out of my truck when a 'suspicious' car circled the bar parking lot I meant to apply at and sit filling out other job application while there as well... There were two guy (one at each door), with no badges displayed, hands on their guns, and bullet-proof vests on screaming, "Get the fuck out of the truck!!!" at us. My girlfriend asked, "Why? What did we do?" as we were led to the back of the truck (after we realized we weren't getting car-jacked, and the men were cops). The cop replied, "Shut the fuck up, you know what you did?" My late fiance said she didn't. The cop told her to 'shut the fuck up' again. I was patted down and had nothing on me... the cop then headed for my open truck door. My late fiance had just been bailed out of jail for felony shoplifting the day before... So I said, "Anything in the truck is my property." (not saying the word 'illegal' as my logic was that I was taking responsibility but could claim I feared my electronics would disappear). The cop was going to search my truck without a reason, I could tell, so I figured I had to save my late fiance. After a minute, maybe two, the cop came back with ONE pipe. This led to a circus of 10+ cop cars, 15-25 cops, and them playing with all our stuff. I agreed to 'narc' to save us being arrested... but never followed through (I didn't buy drugs in the town we were in anyways... though the narcotic officers wanted me to bring in dealers from the city. When I offered them a guy with illegal firearms, just to see what they'd say... the response was, "We don't care about guns."). At my arraignment I was taken into custody and forced to make bail because of this. The cops said the pipe was in clear sight, but why did it take him over a minute to return with it then? I fought the case up to Circuit Court. There, we came to "discovery" when the prosecutor has to lay their cards on the table. The evidence was only the testimony of the cops, the shit they found, and my late fiance's testimony. They claimed they were doing a "welfare check" as my window was cracked (not in violation of TN law). My lawyer explained that no judge would say his cop was lying as that would undermine the entire system... the public believes cops are perfect. And the jury doesn't decide if evidence is valid or not... they would be instructed that the cop's story was the truth. I plead out, getting a year of probation and three days in jail for Simple Possession of Marijuana and Drug Paraphernalia. My fiance and I almost went back to the narcotics officers with a recorder on to get them to encourage us to import crime and say they didn't care about illegal firearms... but the thought of a kilo of cocaine magically appearing in the bed of my truck was too scary. I ended up afraid to leave the house and dropped all but one of my college classes. A police officer friends with my late fiance said that the Franklin PD are very corrupt... like cops killing cops shit. Our nation's police departments are revenue generating machines; not protection for citizens. What is even scarier is that they are equipped with military-grade equipment more and more.... I feel like this is what Germany in the 1930s must have felt like.

Gator;11408520 said:
OP, as a sheriff's deputy, I would like to apologize on behalf of officers who make it their job to "arrest people" instead of protecting and serving the communities they are in.

I am personally not aware of any instances where any deputy or city police officer in my area has lied under oath. I will say, however, that various types of lies are commonly told during investigations or even regular traffic stops.

I read a lot of stories where people claim that police officer's lied on the stand. I have also talked to a lot of cops who ascertain defendants and witnesses lie on the stand. It is honestly one of those "he said/she said" type issues. Who's really telling the truth?

In any case, if the claims are true of anyone perjuring themselves, shame on them. They're 100% wrong for doing so - LEO or likewise.

Police and DA's engage in what is called "Charge Stacking" in which they pile on charges to the point that a plea bargain seems the only option. Reddit founder Aaron Swartz found himself victim to this practice (even though it is unlikely he committed an actual crime), and committed suicide earlier this year. According to Silver Circle Underground, 95% of criminal cases result in the defendant accepting a plea deal (even when they aren't guilty). We are intimidated into forfeiting our right to a trial by jury. Two interesting articles... one scholarly and one about Aaron's case.

http://www.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/serials/files/regulation/2003/10/v26n3-7.pdf

http://silverunderground.com/2013/01/rest-in-peace-internet-freedom-activist-aaron-swartz/

Jman6181;11343774 said:
The justice system concerning drugs is so f'd up. You get charged with a possession and they try to scare you with all these horrible scenarios to get you to just make a deal. The courts just want money!!! probation, drug tests, fines, fees, its all a business reallly, and they want there money. First never believe what a cop says, they'll tell u your friend ratted on you and said its all yours so you better say something to protect yourself. I had a friend who overdosed on Heroin at a friends house I was also at, and the detective told me my friend had died and I should tell where he got the H to defend his honor or something, and it was ALL LIES my friend was alive in the hospital. If your ever arrrested for drugs DONT SAY ANNYTHING EXCEPT LAWYER PLEASE cops hate this cause they cant ask you any questions and thats how they trip you up, askin the same thing over and over waitin for you to slip. Keep your head together, dont say anything..

stivsmegg;11292010 said:

I know all to well the horrors of facing a trial by jury. It's not something favorable, even if you are truly innocent. And even if the cops don't conspire to insure their oft times unlawful and twisted beyond reality re-accountments under oath make you out as a detriment to society. There are other fundmentally worse senerios to consider... One: the additional expense, all attorneys have one fee for defending you AND an additional fee if you go to trial. (upwards of $10,000, and must be paid in full prior to trial) Two: the prosecuting DA will resend any prior offers of reduced sentencing. Three: once tried the judge hands down sentence (usually max). FOUR: it pisses everyone involved off. Especially the juriors, who do not want to be "involuntarily inducted" for duty and only want to get it over with and out of there.

I must attest that the US judicial system, from cops to courts, has in no small way reversed the premise of "innocent until proven guilty" TO "guilty and must prove yourself innocent." Which innocent is only possible in varying of guilty, in as much as only about 2% of people arrested have charges dismissed. And even those are still for ever scared by the process, have to pay bond, attorney and court fees! Not to mention have their name, address, dob, arresting information forever available on court docket searches.

To address original post about police lieing... ABSOLUTELY! And not just lieing, but faulsifing evidence, braking rules of reviewing statements and discussing with co-witnesses details, are deeply prejudice, and for the most part more emotionally unstable, socially depraved and truth be known - are more criminal, on a daily bases, than any ten people they arrest... I can say this not only from the backseat of the patrol car with sadly over 30 years of such nightmares, have known a few biblically but have four badge carrying family members....

I have stories that could not even be posted here on this topic because as the saying goes , "truth is stranger than fiction" ... and do I have some personal and close stories on cops and , well, they are human? Most. Everyone fucks up. And in the end, it really doesn;t matter cuz everyone is out to save their own ass. if we could only sit around a bonfire with some beers and stuff and I would make your jaws drop.