Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Why NOT to vote Lib this year

killarava2day

Ex-Bluelighter
Peter Costello should practise what he preaches
June 9, 2004

Jesus was above all a dissident, a fact the Treasurer would do well to keep in mind, writes Clive Hamilton.

The Howard Government's willingness to smother dissent poses a threat to the democratic process in Australia. Like individual citizens, community groups are being worn down and are increasingly reluctant to engage in the democratic process because they no longer believe that they can make a difference.

There is a pattern of attacks on the independence of various institutions and non-government organisations that provide checks on the power of government.

The Australian public service has been transformed radically from one that understood it had a duty to serve the public to one that simply takes orders from ministers. While once there was scope for competing ideas, and senior bureaucrats would warn ministers that certain actions were contrary to the public interest, there is no place for contending views today. Sycophancy is the order of the day.

The military has a proud reputation for providing fearless advice to the government while maintaining strict loyalty. The separation of the political and military spheres was always respected, indeed, fiercely defended. Yet during the children-overboard affair, highly respected officers were gagged or "verballed", and there is now a deep resentment within the armed forces over the way they have been politicised.

Earlier this year Federal Police Commissioner Mick Keelty warned the public that, on the basis of his expertise, the risks of a terrorist attack on Australia were higher than ever as a result of our intervention in Iraq. The Government browbeat him into issuing a humiliating retraction.

Early in its term, members of the Howard Government hit out at the so-called "judicial activism" of the High Court, targeting judges it disagreed with. In the face of virulent attacks on the integrity of the High Court by right-wing commentators, the Attorney-General refused to defend the court.

Justice Michael Kirby has spoken out on a range of human rights issues and for his troubles he was the subject of a scurrilous attack on his character by Liberal senator Bill Heffernan in Parliament. The message was clear: speak out and suffer the consequences.

So much has been written about the suppression of the independence of the ABC that it hardly needs comment. So worn down is it after the constant badgering from Canberra that ABC news and current affairs are now only a shadow of their former selves.

Finally, a report published by The Australia Institute in 2001 identified widespread disquiet among university teachers and researchers about the deteriorating state of academic freedom in Australia.

Three-quarters of the respondents to a survey of academics in the social sciences said that academic freedom had declined over the previous four years, that is, since 1996. Many expressed disquiet at the erosion of their freedom to teach what they thought best and nearly half said they were reluctant to publish contentious research results, especially if these were critical of the institutions that provided financial support for their research.

There appears to have been a systematic attempt by the Howard Government to reshape Australian society, to remake it in the image of the economics textbook, in which we are each imagined to be no more than self-interested consumers.

In this world, the market values of self-interest, profit maximisation, radical individualism and competition prevail.

In this world, the public sphere is increasingly dominated by the private sphere, and public values of reciprocity and altruism are driven out.

Last year, Peter Costello gave a lecture in which he said, in contrast to totalitarian regimes such as Saddam Hussein's Iraq, which punish dissent, he upheld the value of a tolerant country that allows dissenting views to flourish.

He bemoaned the disengagement of people from their communities and praised voluntary groups for their role in building social capital, trust and civic engagement.

He asked: What can government best do for the non-government sector, and answered: "The first thing is the very important maxim for government, 'Do no harm'."

Well, preventing others from doing good is doing harm. Gagging human rights charities from attempting to strengthen protections, or closing down aid organisations that lobby governments to increase the aid budget, or browbeating welfare agencies into silence is doing harm. Threatening to revoke the charitable status of organisations that engage in advocacy is doing harm.

Last week Mr Costello called for greater Christian faith as the answer to the decline of moral values represented by rap music and drug barons ("The moral decay of Australia", on this page last Tuesday).

But whatever he may say in a speech to a religious meeting, for nine budgets wearing his Treasurer's hat he has relentlessly promoted the belief that we should not rely on our fellow citizens, and certainly not the Government, in times of need but should be self-reliant.

Despite record rates of economic growth, life for the disadvantaged in Australia has become harder. But Mr Costello tells us that charity and welfare hand-outs only make people dependent. And we now know that if NGOs criticise this view they are threatened with loss of funding.

Jesus was above all a dissident, and he paid with his life for speaking out against the injustices of the powerful of his day. So instead of making worthy appeals for a rediscovery of Christian values, perhaps Mr Costello would do less harm by giving a greater voice to those who represent the marginalised and disadvantaged and those who cannot speak for themselves.

Clive Hamilton is executive director of The Australia Institute (www.tai.org.au). This is an edited extract of his address to the "Communities in Control" conference in Melbourne this week.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/06/08/1086460293197.html

Everyone whines about the economic gap between rich and poor getting larger, it's actually a good thing. The larger the gap the more spread out people are along it which means alothough a low percentage get screwed over the majority of Australia is better off.

I'd just like to add fuck their 'strenghening medicare' ads, u spend 8 years trying to destroy something and then glibly tell the public your're strenghening it..... yeah right. These liberal fuckers (like all politicians) have lied at every stage i can't comprehend why caimpaigns run against the liberals have not repeatedly stressed, 'there will never be a GST'. Yeah right. 'We will never sell any part of telstra'- Yeah right! 'Those refos were chucking their children overboard" Yeah Right! 'We went to war in Iraq to get rid of their weapons of mass destruction' YEAH RIGHT!
Plus that spineless turd-weasel Alexander Downer has come out and said that peter garrett should never be elected to office because it would damage our relationship with the US! What a cocksmoker! Good article tho- free speech has died in this country under the 'un-Australian rhetoric' kinda reminds me of McCarthism. Get rid of the politicians i say...... people who want power should have it!

I will cry if the Libs make it in for another term

ButrosButros_Grantos said:
Everyone whines about the economic gap between rich and poor getting larger, it's actually a good thing. The larger the gap the more spread out people are along it which means alothough a low percentage get screwed over the majority of Australia is better off.

What? That's the most blatantly incorrect economic reasoning I've ever read, and I've only studied economics at a year 12 level (and not even done very well at it either).

A larger gap between rich and poor does not mean people are more spread out across it. A larger gap means there is more distance between the rich and the poor. Because there is only a limited amount of money in the economy this means very few people are getting richer, and a shitload are getting poorer. So it doesn't mean a low percentage of people get screwed over, it means an increasingly large percentage get screwed over as a small amount get better off. To reiterate; there's only so much money in the country, so as the rich get richer, there's less money around for the poor... Follow?

If you meant that the majority of us are better off due to the 'trickle down' effect (the idea that rich cunts support us all by setting up business and their wealth 'trickles down' to everyone else) you're not only wrong; you should be shot. The only people who cite it are;

a. rich fuckers who don't want to lose their fortune
b. docile economics students who are readily being indoctrinated with horseshit. The depression in the USA during the 1930s is a brilliant example of the failure of the trickle down effect.

Ignore that if you weren't referring to the trickle down effect.

Anyway, word to that Tabernacle. Fucking word. I wish the fucking government could be done for false advertising. What they've done with this "strengthening medicare" bullshit is effectively remove the universality of medicare... Setting it up with a tier system, the requirements of each tier will then be shifted so that the rich have to pay for themselves... Then them middle class...

Give it 10 years and our healthcare system will be just like it is in the US.

The Liberal party make me want to fucking vomit... What put the chunks of carrot in the vomit though, are the Australian public. This government has lied, lied, lied and lied. And no one cares?

why to vote liberal this year
the lead singer of midnight oil is trying to join Labor and run for a seat
god i hate that band

preacha said:
why to vote liberal this year
the lead singer of midnight oil is trying to join Labor and run for a seat
god i hate that band
One of my customers at work is in love with Peter Garrett. For years she would send him countless fan mail letters, then he got a restraining order out against her, telling her not to ever send any more letters to him.

I won't be voting for either, as per usual.

ButrosButros_Grantos said:

That is soooo incorrect its not funny.

Originally posted by ButrosButros_Grantos
Everyone whines about the economic gap between rich and poor getting larger, it's actually a good thing. The larger the gap the more spread out people are along it which means alothough a low percentage get screwed over the majority of Australia is better off.**

** liberal voter.

vote labour or greens
14.gif

there's one thing u gotta remember about bullshit boys and girls: the stuff gets harder and harder to swallow....

i know who gets my vote this year - and it aint johnny and his boys that's for damn sure.

nuff said

im not much of a politics man at all....but the other day i watched parliament

i actually sat and watched parliament and listened to wat they had to say (must hav been really bored); anyway...the liberal party seemed so in control and powerful and consistently made the labour party look stupid, dumb and naive! it was question time and howard, costelle and other party members made the labour party look amateurish, immature and inexperienced.

like i said i hav no political background or wateva, just ur run of the muck 20 yr old but if i could noticed it, i wonder wat the pros say

all i remember of the days when labour was in government are interest rates up at 18%. I don't know if that was the state of the world economy then or mismanagement on labour's part but i won't be taking that chance with the mortgage i got on this place

Labour blows. . .When I think of that podgy faced Latham cunt running the country I worry quite a little bit more than alot.

Johnny whilst having mad mistakes, is a strong leader, and says the right thing whenit counts. I've watched parliament lately also, Marcs131, and Labour does look rather inexperienced and well, just outdone.

I'm not a politics man either, but there's something about Johnny Howard that I like, he stands tall (I realise the irony of this comment) and stands by what he believes no matter what. Should keeping the troops in Iraq cost him the election, so be it. . .he'll take it on the chin. Whereas Latham's bullshit "get votes wherever I can, fuck it lets ask and ex Asutralian Music Idol to take a seat for a few more votes" attitude is really shining through, he's transparent and people can see it (or can't. . .:) Damn these shrooms!).

I say go Johnny howard you vertically challenged massive eye-browed mo-fo. . . .

The scary thing is, once reality has kicked in, you realise that the only moral choice for voting is the greens.

I am an ex-liberal voter, who got seduced by their economic policy which wasn't bad, and got the ecomomy into a not too fucked position, but seriously, there is no way that I could ever vote for the Liberals again. Also I couldn't vote for Labor ever. At all ever. Ever ever ever. I just don't agree with their agenda...

SO what does that leave, the democrats? they are a fucking joke as a party now. No strength, no power, no nothing. So greens it is :) They have some great policy, and hopefully they will start making some inroads into becoming a legitimate 3rd party in terms of votes as of this or next election :)

greens all the way. i disagree with some of their policies, but they're definitely the lesser evil. i like a lot of what the democrats say, but tbh, they're just totally fucking useless and inept.

howard is a cunt who deserves to be shot.

latham is a bit of a pussy, but he's not as bad as howard (at least he left home before the age of thirty-one). labour is just doing the typical "we're conservatives but let's just tell everyone we're lefties" shite, but they do seem to have a better view on things than those elitist liberal pigs. (no offence munted and other lib voters ;) well, sorta no offence :D).