• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Why isn’t Benzedrex a controlled substance???

Yes and no. Yes they are the inhalers but people break open the inhaler and take out the cotton and extract it or some daring individuals just eat it not as effective and can get an obstruction which can be deadly though isn’t very common from what I hear.

And yes it is a very potent stimulant. It’s nearly identical to meth in chemical structure and it releases dopamine, serotonin, norepinephrine, and inhibits the reuptake of them as well.

Yet, I highly do NOT recommend it. The high is much much shorter than the come down. It’s a much more potent PNS stimulant than CNS and the adrenogenic effects from it last much much longer. So super intense high for 5 bucks for 250mg but only lasts like two hours and then the adrenogenic effects take completely over for 6-10 hours depending on the dosage taken. Extreme vasoconstriction and I was staying hydrated not smoking, sleeping pretty much every night as long as I didn’t go too crazy with the dose that day, and eating regularly. The comedown is terrible in my experience not so much because the depression that comes with it but the anxiety and heart beating so hard it is coming out of your chest for hours on end, the irritability from all the adrenogenic effects still hanging strong and yeah. Most days I was scared I was going to die and I am experienced with meth and other stimulants. Those done even touch the negative effects I had on come downs with Benzedrex.

Can someone please help me understand this? It should be controlled under the Federal Analogue Act right???

I am pro freedom to use safe drugs but this drug is far from safe is extremely addictive and we should be protecting children and mentally ill at risk populations.

It just should NOT be over the counter where kids have bought it and died. I just feel like there are kickbacks and payoffs responsible for this drug not being scheduled or at least behind the counter like ephedrine and such.

Theoretically you can even make meth out of it by dehydrolysis.

I believe we as adults have the responsibility to make healthy choices but what about at risk populations? It needs to be regulated someway at least.

And I can’t believe I’m saying this because I am pro freedom to alter your mind if you so choose, but this drug is so addictive and dangerous I think we should limit the age that can buy it at the very least.

Does anyone understand why/how this substance is over the counter and how it’s not under the federal analogue act? Thanks everyone.
Because a cyclohexane group is not a functional analogue of a benzene ring. One is aromatic, one is not therefore chemical reactions are completely different.

I think the process that you're thinking of is oxidative dehydrogenation which can convert a cyclohexane to a benzene ring. This can actually be done with a metal catalyst (Pt/c or Pb/c) and a lot of heat, under a nitrogen atmosphere.

I saw some other citations where quartz or iron and high temperature are used to dehydrogenate a cyclohexyl group to a benzene.

I think it's the need for high temperatures and reasonably sophisticated lab equipment that prevents this synthesis from going mainstream.

But you are correct, it is not complex. After creating the propylhexedrine free base, It's literally the dehydrogenation step, allowing the evolved hydrogen to blow away, purify the reaction components, purify the free base and hit it with dry hcl. And you're done that's it.

I think you can use xylene as a solvent, but the other solvents mentioned in the synth are not difficult to source.

There are actual published synths online detailing propylhexedrine to methamphetamine.

Last edited by a moderator:
My two cents' worth:

I abused Benzedrex one time many years ago. I was addicted to cocaine at the time and on this particular day none of my connections came through. An acquaintance of mine (also a druggie) said we could get high on these inhalers. I was dubious but desperate, so I financed the venture.

My buddy had done this before We bought a few inhalers at one drugstore and then bought acetone and citric acid at another drugstore. I don't remember the details, but it involved breaking the units open, heating them in an acetone solution and then somehow treating them with citric acid. We drank the resulting solution, which tasted pretty foul. The whole process took about 2 hours.

Yeah, I got high as fuck. It was sorta like a mid-grade meth high. I was impressed with the dude's lab skills and I appreciated it at the time. Nevertheless, it seemed like way too much trouble for what it was worth. I never did it again nor did I know of anyone else who did.

Because a cyclohexane group is not a functional analogue of a benzene ring. One is aromatic, one is not therefore chemical reactions are completely different.

I think the process that you're thinking of is oxidative dehydrogenation which can convert a cyclohexane to a benzene ring. This can actually be done with a metal catalyst (Pt/c or Pb/c) and a lot of heat, under a nitrogen atmosphere.

I saw some other citations where quartz or iron and high temperature are used to dehydrogenate a cyclohexyl group to a benzene.

I think it's the need for high temperatures and reasonably sophisticated lab equipment that prevents this synthesis from going mainstream.

But you are correct, it is not complex. After creating the propylhexedrine free base, It's literally the dehydrogenation step, allowing the evolved hydrogen to blow away, purify the reaction components, purify the free base and hit it with dry hcl. And you're done that's it.

I think you can use xylene as a solvent, but the other solvents mentioned in the synth are not difficult to source.

There are actual published synths online detailing propylhexedrine to methamphetamine.
Thanks for clarifying that man.

I've used benzedrex dozens of times, its ok in a pinch. Although many times I've told myself it was the last time. Comedowns from larger doses are pretty brutal. Using 3 or more inhalers necessitates benzos, otherwise you're in for a rough time.

The best way to consume it is to soak the cotton in carbonated water with added citric acid (lemon juice also works) in a mason jar, remove the cotton, then add an equal part of canola oil and put the lid on and shake very vigorously for a number of minutes. Then pour the mixture into a separatory funnel, let it sit so the oil and water separates, and drain off them the bottom layer (the oil will be on top, which is trashed). If you don't have a separatory funnel you can use a syringe to remove the oil layer.

This very effectively removes the nasty lavender and other essential oils. Aside from being nasty, lavender oil is actually quite psychoactive, and makes the propylhexedrine experience fuzzier, dirty feeling and somewhat sedating. Feels cleaner this way. Nonetheless, propylhexedrine is a pretty dirty high on its own. I once went through the trouble of converting into a crystalline hcl salt. Not worth the effort.

I think moreso its that the yield would be way too low relative to the cost of the inhalers (especially compared to pseudoephedrine). Plus its racemic. Just doesn't make alot of sense to use when pseudoephedrine is cheaper and makes d-methamphetamine.

Honestly I kinda wish it was taken off the shelves, because I much too often am in the grocery store, passing by, and see it, and make an impulse purchase. I find it quite recreational, sometimes. The effects vary a lot, based on factors I have not been able to figure out. Sometimes it's great, it's kinda like meth, kinda like MDMA< but much dirtier, with more side effects. And other times it's nearly all side effects and I regret it deeply.

I never do more than half a cotton. I extract it in acidic liquid (Sprite, or Snapple, or water with vinegar or citric acid added). Do not ever ingest the cotton as it can cause intestinal blockages.

I neary always regret it. Every so often it's fantastic and I don't regret it. But it's the one recreational stimulant that I can always get.

I do not believe in prohibition, but I often think my health would be better if I couldn't just randomly pick up a Benzedrex inhaler at the grocery store when I happen to see it when I'm grocery shopping.

My exp is similar to @Xorkoth , every once in a great while some random assortment of mysterious variables will align just ever so perfectly and propylhexedrine will produce an absolutely wonderful high. Not just a wonderful high either but sometimes it’s damn near the best stimulant exp I’ve ever had (and that’s saying a lot considering my stimulant history).

Propylhexedrine is so hit or miss for me and unfortunately it’s so much more miss than hit 🙁. I don’t bother anymore unless I’m in dire need of a stim and have no other options available.

I also tend to need very high doses to get anything enjoyable out of it (three inhalers worth consumed all at once on an empty stomach) but I also have an embarrassing long history of stimulant use including many many many very heavy pyro binges (think mdpv, apvp, etc) in which I’d vaporize ridiculous amounts all day everyday until forced to stop by landing myself in a psych ward. I don’t recommend anyone eat three inhalers worth, Start much smaller like 1/4 of an inhaler and then try more next time if needed. Too much is not just not fun, it can be downright miserable and/or frightening and the side effects go on for a long damn time. Too much could also be a serious health concern for some.

The one time I took 2 inhalers at once (the second time I tried it), I experienced stimulant psychosis during the acute effects, like 5 hours in. I was at work, and first all of the smooth, black surfaces (like file cabinets) looked like smoke was drifting over them. Then I drove home, and I repeatedly slipped into a delirium where I would be laughing at something my ex-girlfriend (girlfriend at the time) said, or replying to something she said, only to realize that "she" was the empty passenger seat. 'd realize then that I was hallucinating pretty severely, but a minute later, the same thing would happen. It's a miracle I didn't get in a car accident.

Once I got home, I started to see the shadow people. This black robed figure would be in the corner of my vision and would leap towards me, it scared the shit out of me every time. I started hearing it whispering my name. I was creeped the fuck out and I was home alone at the time (my ex was out of town), and this lasted all night. because I couldn't sleep, at all. I also couldn't pee more than a few drops if I tried really hard. I actually considered going to the hospital because my bladder was so full, it hurt. I spent a lot of time standing over the toilet, squeezing tiny bits of pee out, while the shadow person whispered to me.

The next day, I went to work, exhausted, but no longer hallucinating. I felt like absolute ass. It was still really hard to pee the whole next day, but I was able to do it with some effort, and empty my bladder. The next night, I managed to sleep, but it was fitful.

I swore it off for a good year after that, but then started using it sometimes at 1/2 to 1 inhaler. Now it's... 17 years later, and I still use it fairly regularly, when I don't have better stimulants. But I don't use more than 1/2 inhaler at once. Occasionally I'll use 3/4 of an inhaler, split over the course of some hours. It has an inordinately bad comedown for its effects, and the most alarming effect is that it really seems to make my prostate swell, or something. Makes it really hard to pee, and also to get a lasting erection.

If it didn't sometimes produce an awesome high, I'd say fuck off to propylhexedrine... but sometimes it's great, and weirdly, those times it doesn't have those bad side effects. I am scared to know whether I have damaged myself from it.

That's why, even though I disagree with prohibition... I really wish they didn't have it right there on the shelf where I can pick one up for a few dollars on an impulse buy... even if they had it behind the counter, I doubt I would ever buy any.

I've used benzedrex dozens of times, its ok in a pinch. Although many times I've told myself it was the last time. Comedowns from larger doses are pretty brutal. Using 3 or more inhalers necessitates benzos, otherwise you're in for a rough time.

The best way to consume it is to soak the cotton in carbonated water with added citric acid (lemon juice also works) in a mason jar, remove the cotton, then add an equal part of canola oil and put the lid on and shake very vigorously for a number of minutes. Then pour the mixture into a separatory funnel, let it sit so the oil and water separates, and drain off them the bottom layer (the oil will be on top, which is trashed). If you don't have a separatory funnel you can use a syringe to remove the oil layer.

This very effectively removes the nasty lavender and other essential oils. Aside from being nasty, lavender oil is actually quite psychoactive, and makes the propylhexedrine experience fuzzier, dirty feeling and somewhat sedating. Feels cleaner this way. Nonetheless, propylhexedrine is a pretty dirty high on its own. I once went through the trouble of converting into a crystalline hcl salt. Not worth the effort.

I think moreso its that the yield would be way too low relative to the cost of the inhalers (especially compared to pseudoephedrine). Plus its racemic. Just doesn't make alot of sense to use when pseudoephedrine is cheaper and makes d-methamphetamine.
If done correctly, the yield should be quite high.

And I wasn't talking about using the actual inhalers I was talking about diversion of propylhexedrine. I can't find anything that says it's a watched chemical. It was schedule five for 3 years from 1988 to 1991. But now it's not.

I also tend to need very high doses to get anything enjoyable out of it (three inhalers worth consumed all at once on an empty stomach) but I also have an embarrassing long history of stimulant use including many many many very heavy pyro binges (think mdpv, apvp, etc) in which I’d vaporize ridiculous amounts all day everyday until forced to stop by landing myself in a psych ward. I don’t recommend anyone eat three inhalers worth, Start much smaller like 1/4 of an inhaler and then try more next time if needed. Too much is not just not fun, it can be downright miserable and/or frightening and the side effects go on for a long damn time. Too much could also be a serious health concern for some.

Yeah same here I generally use 3 inhalers, usually 2 inhalers for the first dose and another inhaler a few hours later. I find that if I take all 3 at once it's great for a while but the comedown is rough, therefore I find the third inhaler is best taken a few hours later. Do not recommend this for most people, it is quite strong at those doses.

When I converted it to a crystalline salt I tried snorting and smoking (bad idea) it, but it is better taken orally in a single dose.

Making the hcl salt is unnecessary, but removing the essential oils by simply shaking it with canola oil and separating it makes a huge difference in the effects, way cleaner, and clearer minded. It a quick process, and if done well, the separated liquid will only have faintest hint of lavender. I can't stand the smell of lavender these days after consuming that shit before I had the sense to start separating those essential oils.

When I converted it to a crystalline salt I tried snorting and smoking (bad idea) it, but it is better taken orally in a single dose.

Curious why vaporization of the crystalline salt versionwas a bad idea? When high off of 3 inhalers I’d sometimes open the packaging on a 4th one and start using it the way it was designed - and despite each inhalation being such a tiny dose I’d notice a decent bump in effects for a few minutes afterwards (though I won’t deny this may have been mostly placebo like). So this got me thinking that actual vaporization may be a decent route if it isn’t too caustic/corrosive/irritating or foul tasting/smelling when vaporized in salt form.

@Xorkoth i wanted to say that I can relate a bit to your experience with psychosis. The first few times for me were pretty damn awful but now most medium to Large doses of any stimulant produces similar states for me almost every time. I’ve pushed the limit way too many times I guess but since I’ve been in that state so so so many times now that I’ve actually found I can use it for certain types of soul searching/spiritual work similarly to tripping on psychedelics. I can even manipulate the delusions/hallucinations sometimes such that they become pleasant/desirable. It almost becomes like lucid dreaming in a way since I tend to always remain aware I’m just “tripping” but it’s a terribly dangerous game to play as it is all too easy to loose control and/or forget its just a trip.

Makes it really hard to pee, and also to get a lasting erection.

The difficulty urinating is a side effect for me as well from large doses though it’s never lasted longer than like 12 hours for me, maybe 16 at most. There have been several stimulants that cause this effect strongly in me as well though I don’t remember which. I don’t think necessarily your exp is any cause for concern over your prostate though you should get an exam if you haven’t already. Of course, I should take my own advice - I’m in my early 40s and have some pretty undeniable symptoms of potential prostate problems yet I havent had a single prostate exam in my life. I think my problems likely extend from way too many years of constant opioid constipation overlapped somewhat by many years of crazy stimulant abuse.

Yeah same here I generally use 3 inhalers, usually 2 inhalers for the first dose and another inhaler a few hours later. I find that if I take all 3 at once it's great for a while but the comedown is rough, therefore I find the third inhaler is best taken a few hours later. Do not recommend this for most people, it is quite strong at those doses.

Making the hcl salt is unnecessary, but removing the essential oils by simply shaking it with canola oil and separating it makes a huge difference in the effects, way cleaner, and clearer minded. It a quick process, and if done well, the separated liquid will only have faintest hint of lavender. I can't stand the smell of lavender these days after consuming that shit before I had the sense to start separating those essential oils.
How bad is the vasoconstriction and cardiac sympathetic nervous system involvement?

I know this is not a methcathinone, but those are the drugs that in my experience have had the worst vaso constriction and cardiac involvement as compared to amphetamines like Adderall or methamphetamine or MDMA.

As far as I'm concerned, many of the methcathinones suck because the after effects are so hard on your cardiovascular system and you just feel like somebody twisted you around dragged you through mud and left you up to dry.

How bad is the vasoconstriction and cardiac sympathetic nervous system involvement?

I know this is not a methcathinone, but those are the drugs that in my experience have had the worst vaso constriction and cardiac involvement as compared to amphetamines like Adderall or methamphetamine or MDMA.

As far as I'm concerned, many of the methcathinones suck because the after effects are so hard on your cardiovascular system and you just feel like somebody twisted you around dragged you through mud and left you up to dry.
You generally have to dose high (at least I did) to get a good high. It’s high is intense but so is vasoconstriction. I don’t recommend it at all but if you’re going to try it try to have some benzos on hand. I was taking 3 cottons at once regularly. Some days I’d dose twice.

I’ve done meth and a variety of other stimulants and in my experience the vasoconstriction is way worse. I wasn’t fazed by meths vasoconstriction and cardio effects at all but this nearly killed me or was going to make me disabled in some way. And the vasoconstriction lasts extremely long at least at that dose.

You generally have to dose high (at least I did) to get a good high. It’s high is intense but so is vasoconstriction. I don’t recommend it at all but if you’re going to try it try to have some benzos on hand. I was taking 3 cottons at once regularly. Some days I’d dose twice.

I’ve done meth and a variety of other stimulants and in my experience the vasoconstriction is way worse. I wasn’t fazed by meths vasoconstriction and cardio effects at all but this nearly killed me or was going to make me disabled in some way. And the vasoconstriction lasts extremely long at least at that dose.
That's what I expected.

Norpropylhexedrine is a major metabolite. It is hydrogenated amphetamine, and is extremely stimulating. Based on side effects it most likely releases and possibly prevents reuptake of norepinephrine.

That's what I expected.

Norpropylhexedrine is a major metabolite. It is hydrogenated amphetamine, and is extremely stimulating. Based on side effects it most likely releases and possibly prevents reuptake of norepinephrine.
That is correct. Propylhexidrine does that to norepinephrine, serotonin, and dopamine but I definitely think it does it more to norepinephrine than the others. It’s really not a fun drug when looking at the whole trip. High only lasts like two hours and then it feels like nearly the entire rest of the day I’m struggling with the vasoconstriction, anxiety, irritability, high blood pressure and tachycardia.

I quit December 21st and am so glad I got off that train. I know that meths not the safest drug BUT I never experienced anything like this even on meth, though I was getting very clean meth.

Curious why vaporization of the crystalline salt versionwas a bad idea?

Due to a possibly increased risk of pulmonary hypertension and the generally unenjoyable effect. Smoking it was very tense and jittery, its like smoking really bad racemic meth.

Fast onset of propylhexedrine is not a good thing given it's adrenergic nature. Again, it is kind of like low-grade meth or racemic speed. It's best taken orally in large doses to smooth out the rough edges and soften the overall effect with a serotonin dump. Snorted and smoked make it feel very jittery.

When high off of 3 inhalers I’d sometimes open the packaging on a 4th one and start using it the way it was designed - and despite each inhalation being such a tiny dose I’d notice a decent bump in effects for a few minutes afterwards (though I won’t deny this may have been mostly placebo like).

This does sort of work. I once cut out the active portions (the yellow part, the oily spot) of the cottons from three inhalers, and put them all into one inhaler and inhaled continuously for a long time, and could definitely feel it. But it didn't feel particularly good, producing a sort of jittery though not entirely unpleasant stimulation.

Again, much like low quality meth, or in the case of MDMA, you're best off bombing it in a large oral dose in order to exploit the oral pharmacokinetic advantage of a more gradual norepinephrine dump, balanced out by the eventual dopamine and serotonin release that occurs at high doses.

***On a side note, anyone notice a change in the color of the oil on the cottons as of late? The spot on the cotton where they dumped propylhexedrine freebase used to be fairly dark brown, but I've noticed more recently that color has gotten lighter, in some cases even hard to see. They still work similarly.

That is correct. Propylhexidrine does that to norepinephrine, serotonin, and dopamine but I definitely think it does it more to norepinephrine than the others. It’s really not a fun drug when looking at the whole trip. High only lasts like two hours and then it feels like nearly the entire rest of the day I’m struggling with the vasoconstriction, anxiety, irritability, high blood pressure and tachycardia.

I quit December 21st and am so glad I got off that train. I know that meths not the safest drug BUT I never experienced anything like this even on meth, though I was getting very clean meth.
Many times it's the metabolites that cause worse Vasoconstriction than the main substance.