• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Why is everything warping all the time

Apologies if I gave the impression, but I didn’t at all wish to suggest apollo’s condition was related directly to eye abnormalities. HPPD seems like a complexly diagnosed disorder, of which I know virtually nothing of.
But it is possible that like many conditions affecting sight where sensitivity is increased, reducing stimulus may help. CRT screens are bad for this. Maybe by reducing X–ray intensity and accompanying radiation, the visual effects could be reduced. Another solution may be to try an LCD screen. Just suggestions.
Scotomas are permanent abnormal blind spots fixed in one position. Floaters do move, and are the result of the gelatinous cell mass of the vitreous body which breaks up as you age. This isolated part of the eye, or vitreous body, stabilizes the shape of the eye and adds to the support of the retina.
Some floaters occurring when young will be composed of cellular debris which will be removed, so the condition is only temporary. But as you age the supporting collagen filaments of the gelatinous mass break into small pieces which circulate across the retina. These are permanent floaters and will never go away.
This vitreous medium is isolated from and unlike the aqueous humour or watery part of the eye which is replaced consistently, and can remove cellular and foreign debris.
An interesting point is that it appears little research has been done on whether drug use is connected to particular eye disorders. The exceptions are possibly alcohol, some pharmaceuticals and cigarette smoking
When speaking to the optometrist last week, she was unable to say whether the plethora of drugs I mentioned would have any long term affect on sight. There was simply no information she knew of. She did say that as cannabis reduced ocular pressure, correct readings required the patient to be free from this effect of cannabis, but she had no idea of the time required.
Some good post grad work for someone

Nice post phase_dancer, I'm constantly impressed by your wisdom...
There are no doubts in my mind that this "floaty bug thingy" is very different to HPPD.
The most interesting theory on HPPD (that I've found so far) is available on the internet... A Hypothesis of the mechanisms underlying visual distortions caused by psychadelic drugs.
I'm only about half way through it (it's bloody long) so here's a summary from the godly folk at Erowid (who have a comprehensive FAQ on HPPD, and link to seemingly every HPPD site that exists...)
According to this paper, the visual system in the brain has six different layers which detect different types of visual stimulus (horizontal bars excite one layer, vertical bars excite a different layer, for example). These different layers work together to process information from your eyes and pick out important details for your attention.
The amount of attention your brain pays to the signals from the various layers is based on the strength of the signal from those neurons. One theory of HPPD is that the neurons in some of these layers start overreacting to stimuli. The result is that HPPD subjects become very sensitive to things that they would normally not notice. The layers fail to filter out some of the 'noise' in the lower visual systems and the higher, more meaning- and pattern- oriented layers in the visual system interpret the incoming signals as useful data and send the signals on further into the brain and conscious mind.
For example, the edge detection systems may find too many edges resulting in halos around objects. Coordination problems between layers result in processing happening out of sync or time-delayed, resulting in tracers. Motion detection systems may cause things to look like they are moving when they are not. Face and pattern recognition area may see shapes that do not exist in complex backgrounds.

The following was extracted from this thread
Originally Posted by thisisnotgood:
I started treatment today with a device and hopefully it will get me to 100%. This device has helped improve cognition in healthy individuals and learning disabled individuals (autistic) alike. It also has been proven to increase the bodies production of serotonin and heal tissue.
apollo and others experiencing this: Were you aware of this treatment??
[ 10 January 2003: Message edited by: special-k ]