• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Why Doesn't It HURT When I IV Anymore???

Animoe

Bluelighter
Anyway, on a serious note... I have been injecting all types of things for ~8 years. We all know the intense pain, swelling, fear etc. We get When we hit an artery.

So in the beginning years, I'd say for 6 years that's what would happen when I hit an artery, burn, swelling etc.

However, during the past say 2 years or so, whenever I hit an artery, NOTHING. No pain no swelling nothing. I had even been accidentally and ignorantly injecting into an artery for about a month.
Nothing happened again!

Now fast forward to now, I have a Clonazolam propylene glycol solution that I have used to completely get off of buprenorphine, but now I need to taper off the Clonazolam.

Anyway, even when I hit an artery with a shot of pure propylene glycol it doesn't hurt. Sometimes there's a little warmth going toward where the artery is flowing (e.g. if I shot up in my bicep artery, I would feel some warmth travel to my hand. ) but that's it!

People please, I know the dangerous game I'm playing by IVing all this shit. Especially propylene glycol.. However, I've hit my femoral artery, arteries in my neck that I'm not sure if they were carotid arteries but still....

What is going on with me? Has my body just become accustomed to having things injected into my arteries, kinda like my body adapting to this? Because it's not just certain arteries, it's ALL of them...

And please, don't lecture me on the dangers of injecting pg solution into my veins and injecting into my femoral vein and jugular. I know the risks and I choose to take them.

I only want an explanation as to why my arteries have no side effects when hit especially with a propylene glycol shot.

Thanks guys.

Sorry mate, no clue why it's not hurting :?

I'm really at a loss for words here with hearing about your history, with not simply IV use, but with accidental and habitual injection into the arteries.

You said something about how we all know the pain of injecting into an artery, but I have to be frank here. Not many people who IV regularly are accustomed to artery shots. Those are usually the outcome of uninformed or novice users who don't know how to tell the difference between a vein and an artery (which if you take even a small amount of time to research the locations of veins vs arteries, it's cake from then on telling the two apart). So no, I don't know the pain of injecting into an artery. You are unique in this history of arterial injections and I am actually surprised it hasn't killed you already! It's dangerous, more so than any other ROA, but for reasons of the immediate physical danger it can put a user into.

You're lucky to be alive at this point and I would suggest with zero reservation that you begin only injecting into your veins if you inject at all. No more artery shots! The decrease in the amount of pain you experience from them is not a sign that you should keep on using your arteries. It's probably a warning that whatever nerves adjacent to them have become desensitized to the pain you should feel any time you hit an artery.

I'm confused why you have not been able to/chosen to use your veins instead of those. Arteries are actually a lot harder to get to than veins are and with veins being as abundant as they are in the beginning, why have you not been using them? Is it that they have basically all collapsed and now the only route is your arteries?

Please, enlighten me on this subject. I'm concerned fot your safety and well-being.

Injecting into arteries is really bad for you dude. Have you considered going into rehab or switching ROAs? If you hit arteries that often you might not be around very long. As for why you're not feeling it? Maybe your nerves are damaged? Somebody else probably knows more about that than me.

I really think(or hope) the OP is confusing missing a shot, and hitting an artery. Hitting an artery on accident isn't something likely to occur unless you are misidentifying an artery for a vein and then shooting into it on purpose(and if you can't tell the difference you have no business injecting drugs), it definitely shouldn't be happening over and over again by any means, and its definitely not like its either shoot into a vein or you hit an artery and if you had been hitting an artery on accident this many times chances are you would have ran into some SERIOUS consequences by now, not to mention your description sounds more like a normal missed shot.

And I'm sorry, but if everything you've posted is actually true, and given your cavalier attitude about shooting into the femoral and jugular, you are being reckless and stupid and have no business continuing to inject drugs.

I have a couple different hypothesis on why you aren't feeling it anymore, some involving the solution, others about missing in the same spot over and over. But I have no way of verifying any of them and, more importantly, positing them wouldn't do you any good. Why your missed shots aren't hurting anymore should be the very least of your concerns, instead you should be asking yourself why you can't seem to hit a vein to literally save your life, learn about registering to confirm you are in a vein, and why the fuck do you continue such reckless behavior?

I mean, if you are using new needles and proper techniques then leaving marks shouldn't really be a concern, so I can only assume you've collapsed all your good veins..which is very telling, and another indicator that you need to get away from the needle before it kills you.

Also, I gotta agree with LesFleursDuMal here, I would imagine 99% of IV drug users have no idea what shooting into an artery feels like because it should literally never happen. I mean, the only reason I opened this thread is my interest was so piqued by the thread title, the first thing that popped into my head was why would it ever be hurting you when IV in the first place.

Last edited:
I know of people who only hit an artery, the Carotid, because it's the only place they can hit.
I, too, have used the Carotid to no ill effect and as far as accidentally hitting an artery it would be pretty damn hard to do.
I agree with the assumption^that he is just missing the vein and not hitting an artery.
Hitting an artery is no different than hitting a vein as far as getting high goes. It's just that they tend to run deep so people don't often use them.

Why are you hitting arteries? Just curious? It took me once to hit one in my wrist , and that broke me. Even by mistake the swelling and pain was so intense.

I have to disagree with hitting an artery and hitting a vein are the same thing in terms of getting high. Hitting a vein pulls all the blood and of course, drugs, away from your extremities into your heart which then pumps it to your brain and saturates it with the drug causing all the good effects. Hitting an artery pushes the blood and the drugs to your extremities and all the tissues that they supplying cleaning blood to. If you get high from hitting an artery it's only because it's slowly absorbed and fed back into your bloodstream BY WAY OF YOUR VEINS and then to your heart and then your brain. Either way you shouldn't be hitting arteries and if they don't hurt then I don't think you're hitting arteries to be quite honest. It would hurt every time no matter how many times you did it and I don't believe you would desensitize yourself. Plus, after a month of hitting an artery you would have tissue damage no matter what.

As fast as your blood circulate I can't imagine it makes that much of a difference, maybe when shooting for a bellringer from coke, but the last thing you should be doing it shooting coke into an artery, that would be fucking stupid.

As fast as your blood circulate I can't imagine it makes that much of a difference...

Exactly^

Tek4242, have you ever hit an artery? I have and couldn't tell any difference.
The only way my last GF could mainline smack was an artery(the Carotid) in her neck...I've hit it too...works just fine.

Yes I have most certainly hit an artery and it fucking sucked. The blood was forced into the rig instead of me having to register and as soon as I started pushing, like maybe two to three units into pushing, there an intense pain and since it was a speedball that I was doing my hand went almost immediately numb and I got no rush and no high whatsoever or from the dope or the cocaine. It has a big difference with how your blood flowing because it's where your blood is flowing TO and not the speed at which it flows. By that logic everybody with high blood pressure should get better buzzes. And if that was also true why would anybody bother trying to find the van and avoid hitting an artery in the first place?

Yes I have most certainly hit an artery and it fucking sucked. The blood was forced into the rig instead of me having to register and as soon as I started pushing, like maybe two to three units into pushing, there an intense pain and since it was a speedball that I was doing my hand went almost immediately numb and I got no rush and no high whatsoever or from the dope or the cocaine. It has a big difference with how your blood flowing because it's where your blood is flowing TO and not the speed at which it flows. By that logic everybody with high blood pressure should get better buzzes. And if that was also true why would anybody bother trying to find the van and avoid hitting an artery in the first place?

Like I said, you had bunk dope if you actually hit an artery and didn't get off. You need to do some research man.
Also, if you were speed-balling and your coke was any good it could easily cause your BP to be high enough to push the plunger back on its own regardless whether you hit an artery or a vein. There are several factors that could cause that.

It has a big difference with how your blood flowing because it's where your blood is flowing TO and not the speed at which it flows. By that logic everybody with high blood pressure should get better buzzes. And if that was also true why would anybody bother trying to find the van and avoid hitting an artery in the first place?

The speed matters, because whether you shoot into a vein or an artery the drug is going to reach your brain faster than you can snap your fingers. thats not to say you should consider speed when choosing where/how to inject only to say it makes everything you just said completely irrelevant. You probably missed your shot in your retelling of hitting an artery. I don't see what blood pressure has to do with anything as far as getting high.

And people don't shoot into veins because its gets them higher...do you really think that?