PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Why does DXM have entirely different effect on me after many uses

Status
Not open for further replies.

timcow

Greenlighter
DXM was the perfect drug for me. At low doses it destroyed my depression, made me feel alive again, greatly increased my mental clarity, gave me energy, etc. etc.

After using it regularly, usually at these low doses, it's effects on me changed drastically, and now it is like I am taking an entirely different drug. Now there is 0 trace of the above effects, and instead dxm causes muddled thinking and a general feeling of malaise, which had absolutely no place in my previous experiences of it.

This seems like something very different from tolerance. What is going on here?

That's because you abused an NMDA receptor antagonist. You should have spaced out your experiences apart by 2 weeks.

Stop taking DXM, it's for the better.

The tolerance, if that's what it really is, seems virtually permanent, but I know that isn't uncommon with dxm. Well I have mostly stopped taking it, I've only tried it a few times in the last six months.

Has anybody had any luck reversing this tolerance? I know it is doubtful, but worth asking, since this seems to be the definitive forum for drug info.

My depression is bad and unresponsive enough that I am currently prescribed d-amphetamine and klonopin, and my psychiatrist will let me try most anything. But nothing comes close to dxm.

DXM gave me my emotions back, which was really the greatest benefit of it. I've been a soulless, personality-less shell of a person for eight years, other than that one month of dxm abuse. Any ideas on how dxm does this or any substance that could give me this effect? I've tried ketamine, but it seems to numb me emotionally, opposite of what dxm did. And yes, I have tried and continue to try talk therapy, which hasn't helped me at all.

DXM has effects on the serotonergic system. I have heard both that is a 5ht releaser or that it is an SSRI, and having not read any proper research I'm not sure which one it is. However, this effect on serotonin is most definetely the reason for your awakened emotions. The serotonin effect is also the main difference between the effects of DXM and the effects of Ketamine.

Perhaps one good psychedelic trip (The 5ht2a type, not the dissociative type) would have a proper permanent modulating effect on your depression to cure it. Be careful to approach it with healing in mind and not abuse though, or else your problem will probably get worse.

It's tolerance dude, Be sure to space your take, not too large quantities. Also watch out with DXM in large doses it can be dangerous (Ruptured aneurysm, etc ...)

Peace

I've got similiar problem, but at larger doses
I've been using DXM for about 2 years, in doses usually between 400-600mg, once in 2 weeks, or once a week, and after some nearly all I felt from 450 DXM HBr was puking and a bit confused sleepness.
I didn't use it for nearly a year and after that time I felt something more than just puking. Still it was not the trip I had had in the beginning of using this drug. Mayber tonight I'm gonna try 420mg after 4mg of sublingual estazolam and a beer and see what happens

I've got similiar problem, but at larger doses
I've been using DXM for about 2 years, in doses usually between 400-600mg, once in 2 weeks, or once a week, and after some nearly all I felt from 450 DXM HBr was puking and a bit confused sleepness.
I didn't use it for nearly a year and after that time I felt something more than just puking. Still it was not the trip I had had in the beginning of using this drug. Mayber tonight I'm gonna try 420mg after 4mg of sublingual estazolam and a beer and see what happens

Recently someone pointed out to me that most of the psychedelic and interesting effects of DXM seemed to go away with repeated use, and hadn't returned. He suggested a limit of about 50 trips; i.e., you get roughly 50 DXM trips before the magic is gone. Other people have said similar things, although the exact number seems to vary from person to person. A few seem to be able to use DXM repeatedly without ever losing the more interesting psychedelic qualitiies.

Peace Out

No it isn't the serotonin. I've taken ssri's, which are crap, and also tried ecstasy multiple times. Ecstasy doesn't give me any "magic", so it can't be serotonin unless there is a cross tolerance between dxm and e?

DXM is actually still psychedelic for me, but the euphoria and the "magic" that only few people actually experience with dxm is replaced by malaise and stupidity.

Maybe I need a sigma agonist, but there doesn't seem to be any good options for sigma agonists.

^Just because you have taken ssri's which affect your serotonin system and they didn't help doesn't mean that any drug which affects your serotonin system will do the same thing. DXM and ssri's might both have affects on your serotonin, but in very different ways. Even if it looks like they have the same exact physiological effect, your experience will differ.

Anyways, ask yourself where your problem originates... Is it in a physiological deficiency or malfunction, or an intangible hang-up in your consciousness? Remember, you first have a thought and then that thought transforms almost magically into a neurochemical... Your brain's neurochemical levels are a result of your mind. Your physiology is a result of your consciousness. That's where the problem is.

Taking a drug is only temporary. Taking a drug every day or week to address a mental issue will cloud your mind. Life is so much better without (constant) drugs... I searched for psychedelic solutions to nonexistent problems for so long and have just recently realized that no drug has cured me or helped me. Thinking has helped me, meta-cognition and meditation have helped me. If I was still taking psychedelics, I'd be a mess. Recognizing the difference between sober consciousness and tripping consciousness has helped me.

Psychedelics are not to be abused, dissociative or not. I know you can "fix", or should I say "resolve" your problem with the current experiences you have already had on DXM. Remember how it felt the first time you took it and your emotions came back (I had the same experience)? Track your emotions down and force them to surface. You can do it. You do not need DXM. You only need yourself.

Has anybody had any luck reversing this tolerance? I know it is doubtful, but worth asking, since this seems to be the definitive forum for drug info.

Nope, from my experience with ketamine, the NMDA tolerance seems either long lasting or perm. (although I do believe there's also a psychological adaptation to the effects that feels like a reduction of potency as well)

i like dxm quite a bit. for a while i used in low doses (600mg) every other day. I was seeking antidepressant qualities and i got them. After a while i re-evaluated my use and decided to go for the 4th plateau experiences id had before. So i quit for several months. recently i began using again every so often but in larger doses. (1000mg). now everytime i use i get the amazing floating through space cevs like in the old days. the tolerance does go away to some extant. I now enjoy it much more since i began sporadically usuing high doses instead of regularly using low doses. You just cant use it regularly. Itll shift gears on you. Its a purely recreational drug not to be abused. But it definately isnt a 50 trip limit. ive done it hundreds of times. i gauruntee if you stopped using till your 40 youd get a great trip again. just wait long enough that you dont even feel like your waiting to use again. forget about dxm for a while. only then will the magic return. but if you abuse it again avfter the magic returns then its all over again. just use it sparingly

Last edited:
I just drink a lot of grape-fruit juice about 10 hours before hand until the syrup chugging time and 5-htp, seems to get that old dex-magic feeling back(in common/strong doses at least).
If it's placebo or not it works for me.
The 50 trips thing is bullshit too. ;P
There must be a limit but probably more like 354+, and thats without any boosters/so-called potentizers or whatever you want to call them.

No it isn't the serotonin. I've taken ssri's, which are crap, and also tried ecstasy multiple times. Ecstasy doesn't give me any "magic", so it can't be serotonin unless there is a cross tolerance between dxm and e?

I've heard stories of cross tolerance between dxm and mdma, but have no references or direct experience to offer, sorry.

I just drink a lot of grape-fruit juice about 10 hours before hand until the syrup chugging time and 5-htp, seems to get that old dex-magic feeling back(in common/strong doses at least).
If it's placebo or not it works for me.
The 50 trips thing is bullshit too. ;P
There must be a limit but probably more like 354+, and thats without any boosters/so-called potentizers or whatever you want to call them.

Anyone else tried 5-htp with dxm. How much does it potentiate?
Also they changed the syrup down here from cherry to cherry vanilla haha anyone tried it? havent used dxm for about 7 months back then it was cherry & tasted like shit

I think ectasy and dxm have cross-tolerance. Here's lots of experiences related to that idea(I'm a little deranged in that thread though.. I think from too much DXM heh): http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=478213

Taking E and DXM at the same time is probably death, though, make sure you know that.

When I take DXM to run away from my problems or responsibilities, it makes me deranged and stupid and I say lots of shit I shouldn't. When I take it for fun/exploration in a good mindset, it's hella euphoric/trippy.

But tolerance always goes hand in hand, because if I'm eating it to run away from my problems, it becomes an addiction too (and you end up eating tons of it and build a fat tolerance). Tolerance takes like a year to go 99% away (never 100%).

Status
Not open for further replies.