View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Help! why do i have terrible come up anxiety with psychedelics

ac111

Greenlighter
basically i’ve tripped before several times and without fail i always have 30 mins to an hour of just being so deeply uncomfortable with anxiety and i convince myself it was the worst choice i could’ve made. after it passes, it always does, i’m completely fine and great- but i can’t shake the anxiety in the beginning- i suffer from pretty extreme anxiety but i really don’t think i go into trips nervous- it feels like less of a mind set thing and more of a physical reaction. this has happened on shrooms and lsd every time. i also don’t drop huge doses i don’t like to take super heavy doses. does anyone have any explanation for why this keeps happening, and also tips to combat it? i feel like curling up in a ball for an hour and feeling awful isn’t the way to go but i also love tripping but it’s realllllllly starting to feel like the bad part of it makes me not want to at all even tho the good part is so enjoyable. Any response is helpful :)

- Try meditating prior to dosing and/or during the come up.
- Have a few drinks (alcohol), but not too much
- Set and setting, what type of environment are you in?
- Calm music
- Create a manta, repeat your intentions for taking on this experience
- Test your drugs so you know exactly what you are taking

This type of anxiety becomes easier to handle with more experience, but those are a few tips to help.

I think what you are talking about is the come up. Some people love it, some not so much. I feel almost like, adrenaline/fear like feelings from the pit of my stomach in waves on most come ups but it goes away like what you describe.

For me it's definitely more pronounced if I'm stressed or, in my situation especially as a daily weed smoker then if I haven't smoked weed then a come up is more rough.

I think it's kinda normal? I don't know. Figured it's just your mind kinda being confused what's happening, thinking you are poisoned and putting you in and out of a fight/flight type situation.

Its the initial peak... esp with L.. then you flutter back down.. often with intermittent spikes.

If you're experiencing an uncomfortable come up, consider the micro dose approach.. see if this is better for you. Doesn't even need to be micro.. a quarter hit of 200ug is about what I roll these days. Nothing left for me at spun anymore.

set and setting as well.. before you dose look at where you are and who your going to trip with. Also if your always experiencing this then expect it.. high dose L I always get my shit blown during the peak and then settle down for the duration. peaking on boomers is much different for me as it lasts much longer.

Biggest thing for me is quantity of the dose. I would look for a fire connection as then you can be comfortable with the dose your administering yourself. A trip guide that you trust is also a huge plus. The bonds I have formed with my tripping crew have pretty much been life long.

Last edited:
I used to get horrible come-up anxiety, for years, when I started tripping. I believe it is because it is such a profound change between normal consciousness and psychedelic consciousness. The body feelings are strange, and the mind is put very off-balance, so it causes you to become very anxious until you get used to it and the transition is complete. On almost all of my early trips, I went through a period of regretting taking the drug, with intense anxiety and unpleasantness. I always had to repeat mantras to myself, things like "you just took a drug, this will pass". because it's true, and it will. I always found that if you just hold out and do not succumb to the anxiety, it always passes once you reach the peak. I always thought of it as psychedelics giving me the hangover up front, instead of the hangover afterwards.

Also, your set and setting have a huge part to play in the come-up anxiety. If you're stressed out or not feeling great, it will be worse. But even moreso, in my experience, if you are uncomfortable with your surroundings, it will be far worse than if you are comfortable. I have also found that if I am doing something physical with my body, the come-up is much easier and more enjoyable. A good example is if I am hiking, or exercising, or even just walking around in circles. being outside also helps a lot, I always feel much more comfortable on psychedelics when I am outside compared to when I am inside.

I have been tripping for 21 years now, and I am happy to report that it has been a long time since I experienced significant come-up anxiety, or bodyload. Nowadays, and for a long time, I find every stage of almost every trip to be pleasant and easygoing, except sometimes if I take very high doses, it can still be quite difficult at times. I don't even get bodyloads anymore, or nausea. I think the more experience you have, the more easy it is to transition from sober to tripping. I think the bodyload is largely psychosomatic, your body's response to the anxiety.

Anxiety before and with come up with psychedelicks exist more or less everytime.i found it normal cause your consiouse and body switch on another level....but usually this feeling resolve further in the trip

Its the initial peak... esp with L..
Same here with acid, I'm never particularly anxious with any other drug, but acid always gets me. In a way it's kinda fitting, just kicking off all the mindgames I'd be playing over the next 12 hours =D

Some of the anxiety is unavoidable, you just become more aware of your surroundings, your state of mind and other things that are going on in your life that you just can't entirely prepare for. I very much agree with doing something physical, walking around (preferably outside if possible) will help stop you overfocusing on things.

Phenethylamine psychedelics often have a much slower and much more gradual come up which makes them much more forgivable in that regard.

I'm unaware of any way to be rid of the come-up jitters. I just drink/dope/benzo my way out of it now that I'm older and I don't view psychedelics as limited nor sacred.

It helps to take a shower or go walk around in some nice weather I guess. That initial switch in mental states is always harsh and abrupt though IME.

I wonder if I am in the minority with finding, over time, that the transition into the psychedelic state is much easier? I honestly barely ever get anxious at any point on psychedelics anymore. Weed makes me WAY more anxious. I used to get really anxious on psychedelic come-ups, though. I also used to get really bad nausea on phenethylamines... the first times I took 2C-I and 2C-E, for example, threw up over and over again and felt poisoned, kept asking myself WHY DID I DO THIS TO MYSELF??? Nowadays, there isn't even the slightest twinge of nausea or difficulty.

I wonder if I am in the minority with finding, over time, that the transition into the psychedelic state is much easier? I honestly barely ever get anxious at any point on psychedelics anymore.
Yeah I mean, I've got hundreds, hundreds of trips under my belt, and I still feel like... I dunno, coming up has never changed, not since the very first trips. Always jittery and jarring. Discovering the pleasure of drinking on psychs is really what permitted me to get far more into acid than I would have been. It made the whole thing into something social and (mostly) worry free.

I haven't done acid in years but back in my 20s and 30s I did A LOT. Used to be able to get really good, strong, clean LSD.

I remember that during the initial come up, I'd feel euphoric, kinda giddy. Then as I was peaking I'd often think oh shit I took too much.That would pass and I'd enjoy the intensity.

Invariably, when I started coming down I'd always think damn, I need MORE, I don't ever want to stop tripping!

🤪

I haven't done acid in years but back in my 20s and 30s I did A LOT. Used to be able to get really good, strong, clean LSD.

I remember that during the initial come up, I'd feel euphoric, kinda giddy. Then as I was peaking I'd often think oh shit I took too much.That would pass and I'd enjoy the intensity.

Invariably, when I started coming down I'd always think damn, I need MORE, I don't ever want to stop tripping!

🤪
Oh man when you are having a really, really good trip and you just think damn I could do this forever.

Trips are so amazing. I'll never get over the time dilation, and how everything is so special. Everything exists, every action is so profound.

Totally get you on the oh shit I took too much feeling. I've never really thought that after a trip though. Maybe once but that was a big ass dose.

The first few i was ok with at first with the microdots ...then the orange barrel well that changed things ...anxiety super nauseous then spewing my guts out on the pavement.Then it started lol .Those oh fuck moments yah had numerous ones over the years...too much oh well too late now.After that first pavement job anxiety edginess always there ....great memories

@ac111 lots of great ideas in this thread to make you more comfortable around the anxious reflexes you have been struggling against, as things get strange.

I have been meditating for more than 50yrs and I must say meditating does not cancel any reflexes, however it does help you to swerve around your mental domain a bit more gracefully over time.

The drug induced experience of time distortion, with the unusual lingering of (physical and visual etc.) sensations, and lingering (stretching out) of thoughts, combined with a reduced short term memory (such that you feel out of place - or lose track of what you are up to) is the essence of psychedelic strangeness. This cannot be denied or countered. Similar effects are achieved during emotions and while falling asleep or emerging from a dream.

After a while, you acclimate to this, and begin to enjoy it unless you have a habit of sustained self punishment (very common), and then the effects begin to wane; many of us get a remorseful longing to do it again soon as the "magic" begins to wear off.

Last edited:
Maybe the anxiety is based in a fear of finding all we know is a lie, having to reevaluate ourselves and the possibility of changes?
Just a thought.
<3

My humble observation:

The five senses are channeled into the brain for processing and integration. The mind processes this information one focal point at a time because there is more information than can be comfortably accommodated. The conscious mind is the entity that "supervises" the integration and focus of this process. When we consume a psychedelic it inhibits the ability of the consious mind to narrow down the stream of sensory input. The mind senses this lack of ability which can be a cause for stress and anxiety. At a certain point the brain no longer senses the loss of control as it is overwhelmed by all the information and we lose that sense of anxiety.

Phenibut.

You have to treat it with caution because prolonged use of Phenibut can be rather moreish to say the least. But I tried recently a small dose of Phenibut (500-600mg) a couple of hours before the Lucy and it was great. Some people report very slight reduction in visuals but read up on it, it mostly has very great reviews to the point of many saying they will not trip without it

Last edited:
Phenibut mixes so well with psychedelics, personally I experience absolutely no reduction in any of the effects, but what it does is lays a positive, confident backdrop for the trip, which greatly reduces bodyload and anxiety, and focuses the trip in a positive direction. Phenibut needs to be dosed 4 or 5 hours before you take the drug because it takes a long time to kick in, and you have to find your ideal dose, it can be hard to dose because too little and it doesn't do much, and too much and it can be unpleasant. And yeah, it's something to keep to every once in a while, because it is physically addictive, though personally, I do not find it moreish really at all, due to it taking so long to come up. Even though I love it, I don't get compulsive urges to redose at all. But YMMV

I grew up where shrooms grew naturally and i love lsd but i had to stop using both. shrooms in highschool and lsd in my 30's. Shrooms were worst on my anxiety and eventually i couldn't control lsd like i used to.
Mental health problems and trips you can't stop don't mix for some.