• 🇺🇸󠁿 🇧🇷 🇨🇦 🇦🇷 🇲🇽 🇹🇹 🇨🇺
    The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Why do Americans (from the U.S, anyway) always refer to "a" British Accent?

I hate to break it to you chaps, but the whole world's awash with uncultured ignoramuses, the US definitely doesn't hold monopoly on them. I would agree the US is pretty insular and inward looking compared to many other countries with similar cultures, but I at least partly put that down to the fact you're like a continent-sized country and pretty isolated from the main population centres of Eurasia.
I worked in NJ for 3 years with a bunch of folk from NJ in their 20s (prob about 80 of them). About 6 of them had traveled internationally (other than Mexico or Canada). About half of them didn't even have passports, 3 of them had never been outside NJ other than across the river into NY.

• Wow
Reactions: CFC
There is no such thing as "a British accent". You realise when you say that you are encompassing three separate countries as well as literally hundreds of very different regional dialects, right. VERY different. So different that there are many other places in England alone where I almost cannot understand what people are saying.
It also seems to refer to what we'd call The Queens English accent, which extremely few people actually have. I guess because when Americans on TV play someone from here they always do that accent? Nobody talks like that! Apart from, annoyingly, English people in some movies :/

Not having a go, it just irks me.

In your post, you used the indefinite article for, "A British Accent", suggesting just one among who knows how many accents and dialects. I do believe everyone from Britain has an accent that is also from Britain, a British accent you could say. You make all kinds of assumptions--that they don't know there are very different accents and dialects(and greasy sour basilects), and vernaculars, that they are unaware of of the different countries in the United Kingdom. Not everyone has a sensitive ear and if you are not of a place, you often do not pick up on differences, that, clear as they are to a local, are very subtle for a foreign ear. Just because someone can't pick out an Irish from a Scottish, doesn't mean they are unaware of the different places. I usually can't really tell New Zealanders from Australians.

Also, there is nothing special or unique about England and its famous disparate varieties of english. Do you think people from Georgia, Boston, Louisiana, LA, New York, Kentucky, North Dakota all have the same accent and no regional particulars of language? No, of course you don't. Similarly, I would guess you can identify, by speech, which borough of New York someone is from? I used to work for a market research firm, and we would get American contracts sometimes, and there are great swaths of that country populated with people who, whatever it is they speak, it isn't something I could understand, even though we both identified as english speaking people.

Where I am from, in Canada, if you drive for about forty minutes out, you get a very different drawly kind of accent. We also have, like anywhere else, sociolects and ethnolects, making any sizable city an endless quilt of variation in accents. We also have two official languages (and there are many varieties of french whose speakers cannot understand each other, like habitants, or Montrealers with their Joual, or the snobs of Quebec City who speak a french that is actually intelligble, or the snarly slobber of Franco-Ontarien.) Besides our two official languages we have--I don't know how many--at least five major indigenous languages, all with very distinctive regional dialects, and of course we attract between 300 000-400 000 immigrants a year who bring their languages, their accents, their slang, curses and food jargon that gets absorbed by the utilitarian english language.

I have three siblings. We have quite a span of age between us which means we each spent our formative years in not quite the same circumstances. Two of my sisters have distinctly separate Anglo-Quebecker accents, my youngest sister has a lazy rural drawl, and people tell me I speak with virtually no accent--whatever that means. That is how stratified and acute accents can be anywhere in the world, not just in jolly old England.

So, all the varied peoples of North America(who you sludged all together under one homogenous monicker, "Americans"--you know, like you accused them of doing with the peoples of the United Kingdom) and their vast sprawling countries are, to one degree or another, aware of just how varied accents can be.

Lastly, I think we can all agree, that Dick Van Dyke sports the most enchanting and endearing English accent ever, as lovable scruffy Bert in that timeless classic, Mary Poppins.

• Heart
scottish accent is so fucking hard to understand.

It's got nothing on Welsh. I billeted a team of Welsh soccer players once, and never understood anything they said, it may as well not have been english. Though some folk from the north of Scotland approach the same level of incomprehensible garble.

It's got nothing on Welsh. I billeted a team of Welsh soccer players once, and never understood anything they said, it may as well not have been english. Though some folk from the north of Scotland approach the same level of incomprehensible garble.
I used to work as a customer service agent for a medical interpretation company.Whenever I got calls from Scottish/welsh people it'd be a fucking pain in the ass. I'd have to make em' repeat what they were trying to say like 5 times, their accents are so heavy. Especially scottish one haha.

• Haha
There's an online thing that explains all of the droog-language that's really helpful. I needed to use it a LOT.
I've read trainspotting I have a clockwork orange it doesn't have the dictionary in the back I've been meaning to read it (a.d.d) I've read online you have to read it 2-3 times, it is a short book, I will read it eventually tho

When people talk about difficult speech are they talking about West Country and maybe a few northern ones like you find in Northumberland?

I've learned a few non english words from music like skitliv is shitlife and nord is north
first is Scandinavian second is Norwegian I beleve

It also seems to refer to what we'd call The Queens English accent, which extremely few people actually have.

The technical term is British Received Pronunciation, spoken by maybe 3 % of the population but what you used to hear on the BBC, British Cinema, at Oxbridge and by many Australian's who were up themselves. When I was a kid I had elocution lessons so I could receite poems using this accent.

so if I spoke with a transatlantic accent, what would you guys think of me?

just curious

I wouldn't think anything. I'm not narrow-minded enough to judge someone based on their accent.

So you really wouldn't think anything of it?

You wouldn't think I was cosplaying some 1950s journalist?

IDK I'm just going off the OP.

There are a ton of english accents.... are you telling me people from the UK don't point and laugh at american accents? How we overpronounce and simplify words?

It doesn't really make sense to me. Technically you fuckers made this country!

Don't laugh at me 200 years later because I talk different then call your accent "british/irish/scottish" (which I honestly do... and I've been to the fucking UK 6 times!!).

I've heard but still don't comprehend the various british accents that exist. Just like there are various american accents that exist...

Idk...

Drunk and angry... lets fight!!!!

jk I <3 my EU brothers

• Haha
It took me a good 10 seconds of reading the thread title going "Americans... From the us? That's completely redundant... All Americans are from the US".

Then it finally hit me. I shoulda picked it up sooner cause I've argued with my ex about this pedantic nomenclature before. :)

• Haha
Because there's only one British accent. The rest aren't British accents, they're accents of the colony

• Haha
For sure. We all speak dialects. I think an accent is where you stress words, but only in writing