• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Why didn't we evolve to feel awesome all the time?

Simple. The fat content man does not goto war. In other words an organism that only feels constant pleasure has no motivation to do anything other than sit in that feeling. It's like the experiment with rats where they wired up their brains to a button that they could push that then triggered a release of feel good chemicals.. they would basically give up everything except the desire to push the button.. pleasure/ecstacy consumed them.

Pleasure/ecstacy is the bait that nature uses to motivate organisms, whether it be filling your stomach with food or engaging in reproduction.

If we felt good all the time we probably wouldn't run from danger.. We would stay in the cold until we froze or stay in the sun until we cooked.. we would have walked away from our mothers when we were young, etc..

the reason life isn't permanently europhic is because life is not fair and can be a real fucking bitch and we are forced to buy our eurphoria in our drugs of choice.

I disagree with anyone who thinks otherwise, by the way, and am approximately 4 years, 6 months late with this answer (this question is practically potty trained now and out of diapers 8o )

The answer is simple. Einstein's theory of relativity answers just about any question. If we felt awesome all the time, we would feel the SAME all the time. Now think about "feeling awesome". What is so awesome about it? Most of it I bet is the fact that you feel alot better than you USUALLY feel. Even if you usually feel pretty okay. Some people might feel like shit compared to you in the same state, some might be even better. Ever wondered how people starving in other countries could put up with it. It's all they know. When you go by what you know, it's simple. If we didn't have a point of reference, there would be no 'awesome' to feel like. The same can be said for feeling like shit. That's why when you are not high anymore, you tend to feel like crap, even though it is just you feeling normal again, your body expects more. It is also the phenomena called 'tolerance' because the more familiar the 'awesome feeling' is to you, the less awesome it is. So, you go further. The same can be said for adrenaline junkies. First it's skateboarding, then finally it's cave diving and bungee jumping... even diving off of Niagara falls. Sounds crazy---just as crazy as taking a pill or using a needle does to someone who goes to church 3 times a day. Right? I hope I shed some light on this for you.

PS: FYI: I have experienced the extremes of what I have said above. I am no saint. I have had my fair share of high and lows in my life. So I can say these things with reasonably assurance that they are correct. I also verified most of what I said with others on many occasions. Others means college students, co workers, friends, employees, etc. Also, I am about 40 years old, have been on my own, and have couch surfed. Lived in luxury and in my car, under a bridge even (when I could find one that wasn't taken). I just said all that so you others out there don't take this as some preachy teenage church goer with next to no experience on real world situations, which I am not. Not that I have not ever been. --whew that was way too much writing for that post! 8)

I don't think it's feasible or even preferable to feel amazing all the time. Life is a struggle, even simply for any animal to survive an entire lifetime. Negative/uncomfortable feelings serve the purpose of motivating survival, in both a physical and mental sense. Sometimes changes are needed in life, sometimes sad or otherwise negative events happen, and our emotional state changes to reflect these new circumstances. Plus, without the negative, the positive loses meaning... it would just be the way things are, rather than a treasured beautiful state.

Also, I've had a lot of incredibly euphoric/blissful states on drugs, and certainly some of the most euphoric moments of my life, but all of my happiest moments haven't been drug-related. We're capable of feeling any range of emotions all on our own, but excessive drug use generally makes it more difficult to experience these things without drugs. This is from a person who has used a shitload of drugs, been addicted to opiates, and currently still uses more psychedelics than the average person.

I think overall humans have it pretty good... provided there is a good, healthy upbringing (which is unfortunately not a given at all), children spend a lot of time experiencing euphoria and happiness. So do adults who are living well and don't have some sort of mental imbalance.

The come down or burning out from over-use of substances should give one a clue. It takes a lot of energy to 'feel awesome' on a somatic level. That and nature has its own agenda.. it's kind of arrogant to even ask why we don't feel great all the time, I mean you are here for natures purposes.. this isn't some fun house for entertainment. Without some kind of stimulus we wouldn't be motivated to even move, and pain, fear of death, is a pretty efficient motivator.

That experiment where they gave rats cocaine laced water.. they felt awesome. And then died. The other experiment where they had another cage with lots of rats for social and sexual stimulus, along with an interesting habitat.. they shunned the cocaine laced water. We have the capacity to be contented.. a lot of primitive people seem pretty contented.. but awesome? All the time?

I'm not sure you'd even really want that anyway. If you read 'Cosmic Consciousness' by Richard Bucke there's an example in there, I forget which person, who's experience of cosmic consciousness (natural, without substances) was fantastic.. but it actually became an annoyance after awhile.. feeling that level of connectedness and profoundness gets in the way of the (current) human experience. I'm sure it would be great if all you want to do is roll around in the grass all day.. but you're liable to die of starvation or be predated if you're just super jolly ;)

What is awesome? Your awesome may not be my awesome. Evolution isn't specific enough to fine tune each individuals consciousness/perception to feel good. We all have our own kinks and quirks. What makes you feel good doesn't necessarily make me feel good and vise versa. The brain has evolved to be like plastic, it's circuitry adapts to an individuals preferences.

I think God did a fantastic job with our current set up.

Perhaps this is the reason for evolution? In that, maybe sometime, "we" will feel awesome all of the time? Evolution isn't done, if it is happening.

well the thing is our natural state of consciousness which is "far from human" is actually a state of inunmerable bliss outside of the mind and body.... its almost like we come into the mind and body to experience duality and things other than this state of the absolute which we all emanate from...

just my experience

..... Which mostly have been spiritual mystical experiences that have been to intense to even describe or prove.

I've found this to be the core of our "being" is way beyond any mode of quantifying and totally beyond a humans mind comprehension or understanding..

so its interesting when this comes up; nobody realizes we are some crazy "infinite" super intelligent being or "consciousness" actually dumbing ourselves down and enjoy being a "human".. almost like its a story, movie, or play to get us temporarily out of your true identity.(which is really infinite in nature)

LoL

meh :(

^^ I believe that too, more or less. But precisely what you said is why we can't and don't feel euphoric all the time. We're experiencing subjective life as an individual, separate being in a physical world with dangers and tragedies and joys and experiences. I don't think it's part of life to feel the same all the time. Life is dynamic and contains ups and downs and hardships. Good and bad feelings are programmed responses that serve the function of modifying our behavior to survive and stay dynamic.

Anyway the universal consciousness higher-self mode I've experienced wasn't even euphoria in the human sense... it was a deep sense of perfection, love and connectedness. The part of my human self that was still hanging on there experienced euphoria at these experiences but it was beyond human emotion.

^^

for sure, it sounds like you were at a place I call the "god-head" it is far from anything remotely considered "human".

it is an amazing experience I wish everyone could have while still being human atleast once...

The irony is we are all there now... always in that place that is timeless,eternal, perfect love and oneness

Being able to feel pain, have empathy, etc, is an evolutionary advantage. If we could never feel exhaustion, physical hurt, mental anguish, etc, we'd be weak, vulnerable, and self-destructive as a species; ultimately, we'd be idiots that would die off within a generation or two.

^^

for sure, it sounds like you were at a place I call the "god-head" it is far from anything remotely considered "human".

it is an amazing experience I wish everyone could have while still being human atleast once...

The irony is we are all there now... always in that place that is timeless,eternal, perfect love and oneness

Yes, exactly. :)

Analogous to the pain/pleasure axis. Living things generally avoid pain and embrace pleasure. Negative stimulus harms the organism and causes aversion.

Our moods aren't that different. It's pretty safe to say that most modern research shows that the majority of humanity is not living in ideal conditions, let alone natural conditions. We live in places and situations that are almost completely unlike the environment we evolved in.

If we felt good all the time there'd be no adversity to stimulate changes in our DNA, leading to the next set of productive, evolutionary mutations. When everything feels good all the time, nothing changes. Likewise, if everything feels painful all the time, the organism degenerates and may even die.

It would be so nice to feel euphoric all the time though...

Evolution isn't predicated on happiness. Did this guy ever take high school science? It's about survival relative to the environment.

Non-expressing of physical pain, or emotions. makes painfull moments. If you respond to whatever sounds, light etc. etc. No pain should be felt. Just ask the masochist ;)

Nothing is really bad in reality.

consider this:

I believe that the key to understand and beating addiction is to understand its purpose. Humans and all other mammals, AFAIK, can become addicted to drugs or behaviors. At some point, this capacity was a pro-survival trait. I've read some journal articles about this, how dopamine is the reward for succeeding, etc, so we get programmed to succeed, but I think they're missing it. I believe the primary addiction is to food. Do you know you can get a dopamine rush looking at a hamburger? The pleasure you feel eating that kind of stuff has nothing to do with its taste. Research confirms that it is high fat/high protein foods that do this. What is the original? Milk. Honestly, when your stomach is empty, you feel sick and not at all like eating. Foodcraving is totally different - when you eat even though you're full. Babies need all that milk, and in other mammals, they need to take it away from their siblings, even if they don't need it. Same with junk food - people don't stop eating when they are full, they eat for kicks. And because of that, they survive tough times in the future.

Everyone HATES this theory, because it points to most people being food addicts. Well? If you switch your diet to rice and fruit juice, which you can live on for weeks or months without harm, will you feel shitty and bad and cranky until you eat a cupcake? Yes, most people are like that. Junk dope, junk food, junk stuff - no coincidence.

Because addiction is really addiction to dopamine, however you get it, from gambling to meth, it's easy to transfer your means. Quitting junk and still smoking doesn't help you. Cigs have some affect on dopamine, but not enough, so you never get free of it. That's why I *loathe* AA/NA. The whole "I live with this the rest of my life" is crap. Quit smoking and eat right and the cravings go away. You can even use drugs medicinally and not binge, but support is advised.

Sure, the average human has something in their life that's totally out of balance. This is just the human condition... Everyone suffers from some degree of addiction and compulsion. .

that's the first Noble Truth - the nature of the human condition is suffering. as we both/all know, suffering comes from attachment, which is the second. we spend our lives running from goal to goal, new cars, money, whatever, and each one is just another fix, after we're empty and only care about the next. but you can be attached to ideas, too - like 'who i am' and 'my homeland' and such. but everything is in change, so it never works. the third Noble Truth - there is a cure for this kind of suffering, which is the magic bit, then the fourth: live a simple, good life, with a focused mind, and your life will be joy instead of suffering (the Eight-Fold Path).

i love my brother christians, muslims and jews, but god doesn't save you from addiction - he just dangles the bait and that's not freedom. this stuff, the above, is the fundamental core of buddhism. it's what the buddha found - that you don't need gods or spirits to live a blissful life, it's living like a monk that makes you happy. duh? pretty scientific - he did try many different systems before coming up with the four.

Man, that'd be AWESOME!!! Except it leaves NO opportunity to grow spiritually and become wise. So, if you believe in an afterlife, that would not do you any good.