• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Why Christianity is a false religion

Try Gnostic Christianity.

As I understand it, I see it as the best overall ideology that I have found, and I have read many theologies and philosophies for their moral content.

Do you care about the moral aspects though? Most believers don't seem to.

Regards
DL
I'm not sure what the core beliefs of modern gnostic christianity are. I just don't know enough about it.
I know gnosticism and christianity weren't really compatible in the past, as far as I know you couldn't be a true gnostic christian since you can't just pick and choose some things about christianity and disregard the rest (specially when they disagree on some key concepts, such as the meaning and/or the existence of Christ).

I do care about morality but I prefer to think about it from a philosophical perspective, instead of a religious one.
I find religion interesting but I'm not a religious person.
I'm trying to learn as much as I can about reality while I still have a consciousness and a working brain.
Religion just doesn't provide any useful answers, thankfully I was born at a time and place where I can choose not to believe without being afraid of getting killed, tortured or rejected by my community.

I have a lot of friends who are Gnostic Christians and they would have serious problems with the picture of Gnosticism that "Gnostic Bishop" paints of their world view and beliefs.

I'm inclined to believe all he wants to do is troll us, that's all. :cool:

I'm not sure what the core beliefs of modern gnostic christianity are. I just don't know enough about it.
I know gnosticism and christianity weren't really compatible in the past, as far as I know you couldn't be a true gnostic christian since you can't just pick and choose some things about christianity and disregard the rest (specially when they disagree on some key concepts, such as the meaning and/or the existence of Christ).

I do care about morality but I prefer to think about it from a philosophical perspective, instead of a religious one.
I find religion interesting but I'm not a religious person.
I'm trying to learn as much as I can about reality while I still have a consciousness and a working brain.
Religion just doesn't provide any useful answers, thankfully I was born at a time and place where I can choose not to believe without being afraid of getting killed, tortured or rejected by my community.
Unless you happen to be a woman or gay living in a conservative right wing religious area.

I have no fear either, but do have a duty to fight injustice.

In terms of comparing Christianity to Gnostic Christians morals, a good, indicator on this is how Christians always run from moral discussions.

That is telling us more than anything else of their ways.

If they really want the prick they follow as their god, they would promote his morals instead of running away.

Regards
DL

I have a lot of friends who are Gnostic Christians and they would have serious problems with the picture of Gnosticism that "Gnostic Bishop" paints of their world view and beliefs.

I'm inclined to believe all he wants to do is troll us, that's all. :cool:
You gave nothing for me to refute other than your baseless personal critique.

You bring this quote to mind.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Do try to grow your mind.

Regards
DL

I'm not sure what the core beliefs of modern gnostic christianity are.
Our core beliefs begin in knowing that we created all of our gods and should not put ourselves below them.

That begins with what we call our god.

Modern Gnostic Christians name our god "I am", and yes, we do mean ourselves.

You are your controller. I am mine. You represent and present whatever mind picture you have of your God or ideal human, and so do I.

The name "I Am" you might see as meaning something like, --- I think I have grown up thanks to having forced my apotheosis through Gnosis and meditation and “I am”, represents the best rules and laws that we have found to live by.

In Gnostic Christianity, we follow the Christian tradition that Christians have forgotten that they are to do. That is, become brethren to Jesus.

That is why some say that the only good Christian is a Gnostic Christian.

Here is the real way to salvation that Jesus taught.

Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Allan Watts explain those quotes in detail.

Joseph Campbell shows the same esoteric ecumenist idea in this link.

The bible just plainly says to put away the things of children. The supernatural and literal reading of myths.

Regards
DL

There are ways to earn salvation through works. However Christianity says that's not true and at the same time, if you commit some horrible crime all you have to do is pray to Jesus and God supposedly receives the message and magically fixes everything as if it never happened

How does that make sense?

There are ways to earn salvation through works. However Christianity says that's not true and at the same time, if you commit some horrible crime all you have to do is pray to Jesus and God supposedly receives the message and magically fixes everything as if it never happened

How does that make sense?
It does not, given that the right to forgive belongs to the victim and not some immoral garbage god in heaven.

If your spouse were to cheat on you, it is to you to forgive and not have her ignore you and your forgiveness because she got it from Jesus.

Regards
DL

It does not, given that the right to forgive belongs to the victim and not some immoral garbage god in heaven.

If your spouse were to cheat on you, it is to you to forgive and not have her ignore you and your forgiveness because she got it from Jesus.

Regards
DL
Yes. God is allowed to show us what we should do if we ask Him. If God blindly forgave and wiped away sins He may as well have created androids/robots instead of humans

Yes. God is allowed to show us what we should do if we ask Him. If God blindly forgave and wiped away sins He may as well have created androids/robots instead of humans
Ask a myth all you want, as it is just another person that puts the words in his mouth.

Seems like you think other people are better thinkers than you for some reason.

Especially god if it is Yahweh you are referring to.

Why would you believe a god who is shown to be so vile and evil?

Regards
DL

Ask a myth all you want, as it is just another person that puts the words in his mouth.

Seems like you think other people are better thinkers than you for some reason.

Especially god if it is Yahweh you are referring to.

Why would you believe a god who is shown to be so vile and evil?

Regards
DL
But I'm coming at this from the point of view that He (God) exists and not being a skeptic at all. This has nothing to do with others. It's just an argument

Isnt all religion just mythology to help understand and live in the world?

Isnt all religion just mythology to help understand and live in the world?
Religion and mythology seem to share the same idea (that there are other conscious beings or objects around who control part of the world); except religion has a doctrine that suggests how one should carry out their existence which could be secondary to simultaneously recognized myths or inexplicable stuff

I'd be curious as to what religion was back when all this was going on. I wouldn't be surprised if people followed a path and that was simply based on their tribal/local allegiance. I mean you never hear about a lone practitioner in a foreign land. They're always with a bunch of other people. It's not like nowadays where you have cults and missionaries

So it wouldn't be much of a stretch to think that mythology and religion were considered the same thing at one point, maybe when 1st Temple Judaism started

Another way to answer you, is I would say that I can see the world just fine with my own eyes. I don't need to try to understand a philosopher. I'd rather understand a scholar though, I've seen demons and an angel once but I still think they're a part of the world just like I am which is no different than the idea I have about gods

I think one day we might have the technology to explain all this stuff

Last edited:
I've yet to see what a true/correct religion looks like.

Some religions are definitely causing more harm than others though, at least right now.
This is really the only correct answer.

A religion Is a bundle of beliefs, some physical, some phlisophical, some whimsical fantasy. Any religion can contain truths in it that may be appropriate for some time in any given society.

To argue for any bundled group of beliefs defined by others is folly. To judge a singular belief or practice on it's own merits and build your own beliefs based on what works in your larger view of reality makes more sense.

How we share and discuss our beliefs or the beliefs of others is far more important than what we discuss.

Well it is, for sure. I think a religion is basically like let's say trolls or hill folk are a part of the local mythology and then one group in the countryside starts to venerate trolls they encounter (which may include nature-related events not explained by science at that point in time), but another group venerates gods - lightning, thunder, ocean waves, sunlight and moonlight, fertility. The second group ends up being called a religion because their gods look more like humans in art so eventually an outsider calls that a religion, because their faith worships a known human like Caesar who was supposed to be descended from the gods

The idea of religion though is a good question to ask. Like where did it come from?

The utter pointlessness of this thread, as with many on religion, stems from trying to paint Christianity as a singular system of belief, from conflating the clergy with the laity, from not understanding the difference between doctrine and dogma, from having no sense of ecclesiastical history and how it intersects with cultural and political history, and most fundamentally from completely failing to grasp the massive change to the role of Jewish law and teaching in the understanding of who or what God was wrought by the New Testament as revealed by Jesus.

These conversations are like watching elementary school kids debating quantum mechanics and time travel after watching an epIsode of Star Trek.

The utter pointlessness of this thread, as with many on religion, stems from trying to paint Christianity as a singular system of belief, from conflating the clergy with the laity, from not understanding the difference between doctrine and dogma, from having no sense of ecclesiastical history and how it intersects with cultural and political history, and most fundamentally from completely failing to grasp the massive change to the role of Jewish law and teaching in the understanding of who or what God was wrought by the New Testament as revealed by Jesus.

These conversations are like watching elementary school kids debating quantum mechanics and time travel after watching an epIsode of Star Trek.
Yeah but I never assumed Christianity as a singular belief system. I know early Christianity is different from late Christianity. I'm not a dumb ass. I also know that Christianity is worthless because its purpose is to indoctrinate people just like Islam did later on

You're acting like Christianity made things better somehow culturally, whatever that's supposed to mean for you I guess. It doesn't make any difference though. Christianity is just a lie to get people to cooperate because some outsider thinks there's too much war or whatever. There doesn't even have to be a reason for introducing it elsewhere. It's a missionary religion

If I can win salvation I won't be worthless! This kind of thinking is useless. It's not destructive and you'll never completely eliminate our native pagan beliefs or practices. Having said that, from a political point of view what you said doesn't make any damn sense. Israel is Jewish by default. I mean you can't find a pig on the ground there. What's the point of even talking about Catholicism when it's all traditions borrowed from Judaism?

This is like saying it isn't okay to be a non-denominational Christian because there is no such thing. Sure, there's no such thing as a Christian, they're Catholic. Other people think Orthodox Christians aren't real Christians. It's all nonsense and doesn't answer the real history

You also forget that I don't recognize Jesus as a legitimate part of Judaism, because he isn't

@Gormur my post wasn’t directed at you specifically, you make some good points. It was directed more at a whole bunch of discussions going on about Christianity. Quite a few of them actually seem started by @Gnostic Bishop.

I think it’s perfectly fine to attack Christianity specifically, or even religion in general, but given it’s development over 2000 years, and it’s symbiotic relationship with Western civilisation, plus the fact that it covers as much moral philosophy as it does anything else, it’s just not possible to simply classify Christianity as good/bad, relevant/irrelevant, or false/real.

I’ll give you but a simple example as to how almost everything we accept as a fundamental human right stems from a stream of Catholic philosophy grounded in the belief that we are all created in God’s image (as Jesus proved when he was made human). This led to the first laws that women were not the property of their fathers and husbands and liable to be legally killed by them for any reason whatsoever. This then led to (significant parts of) the Church attacking slavery which it fought for over 1,000 years.

I'm not sure what you're talking about but thanks for explaining

I guess it's good to point out here that in for example Norway, Denmark, Sweden and eventually Iceland they had a matriarchal society and still do. Women can be leaders as much as men. Christianity was just a road block Romans tried to push on people

I also don't know of a case where a Jewish woman was ever considered property of her husband. This seems like it could be a later idea, maybe post-Christianity/Catholicism, but I'm afraid it's over my head as I don't know the history of Catholicism. I've only ever been inside a Catholic church once on a field trip (I went to a Christian school)

Last edited: