• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Why can't I inject at a A 40 degree angle?

Razorfcknjdd

Greenlighter
So I understand when you iv you are supposed to do it at an angle between 30 and 45 degrees. Now this never used to be a problem for me, but as of late it has been literally impossible to hit a vein using those angles. I've still been able to hit veins, but it's been by sticking the rig in at a 90 degree angle pretty much. So I guess what I'm wondering g is what has changed in my body to make it so I have to do it that way. Do I have sunken veins maybe? Anyways all help is much appreciated.

Short needles and/or less dilated veins may be the issue. Get longer needles and/or try to hydrate/exercise prior to injecting to "plump up" veins. Can also try wider tourniquet, double tourniquets (one above and one below site of potential injection), or blood pressure cuff to find easier to access veins. The angle of the needle is just a recommendation to prevent piercing through the other side of the vein. As long as your hand is steady and you're not having missed shots there's no problem with different angles for insertion.

what veins are you hitting? 90 degrees seems ridiculous unless you're hitting your deep femoral vein or your deep brachial in your arm pit, and I've seen people hit veins underneath their collar bone like that too, but when it comes to superficial veins I cannot for the life of me see how this is possible unless your using a 5/16" tip syringe, if the issue is scar tissue and sunken veins, use a 27g 1/2".