• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Why are drugs really illegal?

My 2 cents but Alcohol should be banned more so than any other drug. It fucks up more lifes per year than all illegal drugs put together oh and lets not forget Tobacco look at the deaths its caused yet is sold freely.

I agree 100%

They would rather spend billions to get rid of them and make illegal, but not spend thousands to educate about them and let the people make the choice?

This is really a no brainer. They want a piece of the pie.

Since they can't tax on freely distributed non-regulated drugs, they make the same (if not more) money punishing people who sell and use it.

Excellent post!

Because the government wants to take our fun away. When they see someone smiling, they want that person dead.

they r illegal because the government doesnt make any money off them.. meaning coke and marijuana. plain and simple!!!!!

they r illegal because the government doesnt make any money off them.. meaning coke and marijuana. plain and simple!!!!!
Uhm, that doesn't make sense. The reason they don't make money off them is because they're illegal, the government makes tons of taxes off cigarettes and booze.

The difference is one is regulated, whilst the others are not.

Taxes are made from these regulations. And since everything that is illegal can't be properly controlled(Weed,Coke,Ecstacy, shrooms, heroin, pcp, etc..) If the government tried to implement a tax on them, the black market will flourish.

So, it is easier to arrest people and make money off of their incarceration.

Booze and cigarettes are to under the same bullshit.
I had gotten several tickets and jail time for both of them before I even turned 18.

People just won't put up with shit that the government wants to do. There is no way that any reasonable drug trafficking cartel would accept a lobby for taxes. Taxes take away from everyone's profit.

Look up "hooked: illegal drugs and how they got that way". Great documentary on why drugs are really illegal. There's a torrent of all four episodes on demonoid. They're also on the history channel fairly often.
Episode 1: Cocaine
2: Opium, Morphine, and Heroin
3: LSD, Ecstasy and the Raves
4: Marijuana & Amphetamine

No one should have a right to tell me what plant(s) (in particular Papaver somniferum / Opium Poppy is the one that really ticks me off) I can and cannot legally grow.

No one should have a right to tell me what substance(s) (MDMA honestly changed my life for the better) I can and cannot legally ingest.

MDMA has some excellent practical uses (and actually was used in therapy before it was made illegal.

I understand your rationale, but you must realize that our rights must sometimes be limited in the interest of preserving the rights of everyone. I'd be fine with that kind of reasoning if the penalty for violating another person's rights under the influence of a drug was death. (And I'm morally opposed to the death penalty at that.)

Drugs do cause harm but The War on drugs is a gigantic failure. It makes no difference whether drugs are illegal or not people will use them and abuse them. IF anything the war on drugs has caused the problem of drugs to become worse. The only sensible option is to quit wasting money on a lost cause(THE WAR ON DRUGS) and use that same money on research, education, rehabilitation, and quality control <- these are the ways that peoples lives will actually be saved not from the stigmatization, prohibition, and harsh punishments that exaggerate the problem and cause a quite sinister mess. For example look at what has been going on in Mexico lately, we(Americans) are the cause of all that blood shed (we are the market) and our government is the reason it does happen (huge profits caused by prohibition)

I posted a link to one of the episodes of "Hooked - Illegal Drugs & how they got that way" in my first reply in this thread. It's the first episode (cocaine). I'll post it again though (it's really good viewing if you're interested in that sort of thing and I'm sure most of us here are):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrd5x...layer_embedded

MDMA has some excellent practical uses (and actually was used in therapy before it was made illegal.

I understand your rationale, but you must realize that our rights must sometimes be limited in the interest of preserving the rights of everyone. I'd be fine with that kind of reasoning if the penalty for violating another person's rights under the influence of a drug was death. (And I'm morally opposed to the death penalty at that.)

I completely agree when you say that (for example) I should be criminally charged if I am to do harm to another person while under the influence of a certain drug. The reason however that I brought up Opiates and MDMA is that while under the influence of those drugs, I for one have NEVER been hostile towards anyone in any way. Also, if they were legal, obtaining them (pure quality) wouldn't be such a big problem either.

My opinion is that govern want take off life enhancing sustances because some drugs (specially psychedelics) promote a life style different to consumerist life style, one learn that happiness and love is all you need for a rich existence, and mall is a stupid loss of time and stupid entertaiment

Lot of really bizarre, conspiratorial and paranoid stuff in here. Some of it has some truth. Some makes no sense. People frequently discuss the U.S. in this respect, but the reality is that virtually every nation, regardless of ideology, history, or form of government, puts significant constraints on drug use at one level or another.

I don't support the "War on Drugs" in what it has become. I support legalization of pot. And I firmly believe we'd be a better off society if the roles were reversed and pot were legal while alcohol was not. That said, there _are_ many "good" reasons from the standpoint of the government and society for many drugs and drug consumption to be highly regulated or illegal. I'm sorry you "don't believe" it, but you might start with a study into the concept of the social contract and other society-benefitting arrangements of order and - yes - authority. These are necessary, organic constructs. They can certainly be twisted and abused by authority, and not infrequently are, to their own purposes. But at base, they stand on their own, and are from where these types of constraints on behavior spring.