• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

why am i on risperdone for a long term comedown

pmz

Bluelighter
Doc put me on risperdone for this. Looking the drug up I'm on and I Dont get why its been given to me. Its a dopamine and serotonin antagonist. Is that what I want? Why do I wanna block dopamine. He said its right for me. But Im confused about it.

Let us know how it works out please.

I know SSRIs also reduce dopamine.

I think it takes weeks to work like SSRIs, no? How long have you been using it?

You realize he basically just threw you a random medication to "see if it works", right?

When (not if) he realizes it's probably NOT the right one for you, he's going to shuffle you around on 5+ other meds until he MAYBE finds one that SORT OF helps you.

Fuck medication. I'm of the belief that drugs like these can only SLOW the recovery process. I have not met a single person in ED who was happy with the outcome of the medications they were prescribed after MDMA abuse.

You realize he basically just threw you a random medication to "see if it works", right?

When (not if) he realizes it's probably NOT the right one for you, he's going to shuffle you around on 5+ other meds until he MAYBE finds one that SORT OF helps you.

Fuck medication. I'm of the belief that drugs like these can only SLOW the recovery process. I have not met a single person in ED who was happy with the outcome of the medications they were prescribed after MDMA abuse.

yeah, thats exactly how I feel. Im thinking of weening off it myself

Im just tired of this fucking feeling. Like my anxiety is finally gone, just need that energy back and brain fog to go away

I dunno mate. None of us are doctors. I would trust your doctor's advice above ours.

i agree with folley, medications slow the recovery process

However

he may also be asking you of your previous history , life etc
and then prescribing you a drug from that action. Its hard to tell though i think some psychiatrists are 'good' and some are 'bad'

If he's giving you risperdone, it sounds like he didn't really even take into account what the drugs you've taken may have done to you at all and simply labeled you as someone who "went crazy" from drugs, because risperdone is an anti-psychotic. They love to just throw people on tht shit these days for anything that even remotely falls into the range psychotic thoughts or behavior, without any desire to treat you as an individual, only having talked to you for 10 minutes.

It's like: Bad experience from a drug with psychedelic properties=antipsychotic meds

And that's really about as much thought as a lot of doctors put into it nowadays....I'm of the mind that you should give the brain time recover naturally before you start just throwing weird shit at people that fundamentally alters their brain chemistry.

It's so strange how aggressively illegal drugs are targeted, but some of these psych meds are every bit as poorly understood and destructive as psychedelics.

Of course you're anxiety has gone away, you're on a hard-core anti-psychotic, and of course you're foggy, that's what that medication does. It's impossible for you to know how you're really progressing until you're off everything.

I dunno mate. None of us are doctors. I would trust your doctor's advice above ours.

I agree wholeheartedly, but, obviously the patient will have a better idea if a medication is working than a doctor will. You should consult your doctor and have him set up a taper for you, and after if he tries to put you on more medication I would say that you want to take a break to let your brain clear up naturally

Doc put me on risperdone for this. Looking the drug up I'm on and I Dont get why its been given to me. Its a dopamine and serotonin antagonist. Is that what I want? Why do I wanna block dopamine. He said its right for me. But Im confused about it.

Why don't you ask your doctor this same thing? They don't typically hide information about why you've been prescribed something, or how medications work. Asking strangers on the internet why a doctor has prescribed you something is not going to be very helpful, as no one here knows about your past experiences, your current issues, or your health status as in-depth as your physician does. Next time you see him ask him to explain why he thinks it's right for you and how it works. In a way, like Folley said, they do just throw different meds at you sometimes- every single body is unique and works a bit differently, so they have to try different things until they find something that works for your unique body and brain (if, in this case, medication is actually the answer, which it may be, who knows until you find something that works?). The same is done with blood pressure medications, asthma inhalers, and most other medications- it is often necessary to try different options to see what works best.

Rispiridone is used for a multitude of psychiatric issues. It's your right to know why it's being given to you! If you feel that the side effects of the medication are too difficult to deal with, as it can cause dizziness and drowsiness among other things, communicate that. Doctors go on a "risk-versus-benefit" logic- if when you're on the medication your head is cloudy, but when you're off it you experience an overwhelming anxiety that makes functioning normally impossible, the benefit may outweigh the risk. That being said, there may be a different medication that offers less negative side effects or takes away more of your negative symptoms. Or maybe it would be better to try to taper off, like you said, to see how you do with no medication at all.

You also have no been on the med for very long, and it can take the body a while to adjust to it or for the therapeutic effects to fully kick in, so keep that in mind too. Most importantly is that if you decide absolutely NO, I do not want to be on this drug or on any drugs, get the DOCTOR to ween you off! Unless you're involuntarily committed on a psychiatric ward, as far as I know nobody can force you to take medication. But serious medical emergencies have occurred when people have suddenly stopped taking their psychiatric medications, or when they attempted to cut back on their own using improper technique. Better to be safe than to risk doing further damage, my friend! Good luck!!

well im not exactly his patient anymore. I was at this rehad program. I tried to email him, but since im no longer at the program he cant help me.

You say you've been taking them only two weeks right? What is your dosage, 1-2 mg a day? I was put on risperidone a couple years back and discontinued taking it after a month because my blood pressure. Can't you see a different doctor for another opinion?

You say you've been taking them only two weeks right? What is your dosage, 1-2 mg a day? I was put on risperidone a couple years back and discontinued taking it after a month because my blood pressure. Can't you see a different doctor for another opinion?

Ive been on it for almost 2 months id say.

.25 mg

^I was in a rehab that a program for doctors who had substance abuse issues, they suggested I go on a small dose of it too, and one of the doctors "doing time" there warned me about that side-effect...All set...It really did that to you? Did it go away?

yeah it raises prolactin levels which does give you "bitch tits"

I agree wholeheartedly, but, obviously the patient will have a better idea if a medication is working than a doctor will. You should consult your doctor and have him set up a taper for you, and after if he tries to put you on more medication I would say that you want to take a break to let your brain clear up naturally

I don't know. With mental illness, the patient could easily be clouded as to what is wrong with them by the actual problem themself. It's all psychological after-all, usually underpinned by chemical imbalances in the brain. A trained professional examining the patient, firsthand, would hopefully have a good idea what they are suffering to prescribe them the correct meds. Moreso than us on this forum who have never met Pmz. Personally, I think you should trust your doctor more than us. None of us are trained, professional psychotherapists.

I think recovery is all about being positive and forgetting all the issues. Aka not stressing / worrying. If that is the case, then shouldn't SSRIs and other similar drugs help you recover sooner? If they can alleviate your issues temporarily, and you forget, then doesn't that help you heal faster?

I've been talking to users here on PM and one said he had suffered for 3-4 months from recovery, he then went on an SSRI just for 3 months, and after those 3 months he stopped taking SSRIs and he was cured. So it seems like it can go both ways. SSRIs and other drugs definitely worsen the condition if you either use them too short or too long.

Btw, as far as brain fog is concerned, have you tried cutting out krill oil/fish oil supplements? Not sure if you take those but I took Omega 3/6/9 and when I cut it out a few weeks later my brain fog seems to have improved. Although I never know because it seems my side effects are ever changing.