• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Who were you before electronica?

I was a nerd at school who was into Rap!
Got into cheezy dance due to german friend who was also into techno.
Slowly grew a sense of what is decent and what is shithouse commercial crap.
Alchol-girlfriend-pot and Es-LSD
------------------
Vido.
http://nav.to/vidospace
"Dangerously Disorganised" Hunter S Thompson, from Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas.

A year ago if you'd told me I'd love electronic music by today, I would have laughed my arse off. I would have told you that electronic music is the biggest load of crap ever made and that the only really good music was U2. (They still are hehe), but here I am, and I am still discovering new types of music and loving every bit of it.
Electronic music begins with an e
hehehehe
------------------
Just say CC's
A Smirk is just a little Smile :)

Well, I was a dandenong bogan, then homie (yes I wore the bog pants) then bogan, Metal dude, then hit the Techno thru a mate, but I still love my metal roots. I pretty much like all types of music, but the hardcore side of music appeals to me the most, whether it be a Hardass metal riff with some boke screaming his utter lungs out leaving you sitting there thinking "Whats he singing?" OR whether it be a D.J belting banging tunes full of hardass bass with cymbol hits to die for.
I picked up the bass guitar about 4 1/2/ years ago and I havent put it down, so thats where my music lies at the moment. Yep Im another les claypool wanna be, but with my own style of funky slap sillyness. (And im not that far away thank god)
Well thats me in a very very small nutshell. Enjoy any music you want, and anyone that criticies what you like, unless your one of those R&B wankers or a commercial wanker (either way) tell em to know there role and shut their mouth.
------------------
And thats the Bottom Line.

never went out before i was 18, couldnt be bothered sneakin into clubs, and being in canberra at the time, there were no good clubs anyhow, (sorry canberra).
Listened to alot of Phil Collins, Sting, Seal, Vangellis, etc. moved to melb just after i turned 18, and still didnt get into the club scene. Spent alot of time in bars listening to funk/jazz bands etc. Also listened to Massive Attack and Portishead. I actually had a hatred for Techno, i couldnt understand how anyone could get anything out of hearing it. That changed in a big way, when some friends took me to Deluxe in early 99. Popped a trip and never looked back.

Ok now lets see, where do I start.
Well when I was about 4 yrs old I was really into Queen, Michael Jackson, Madonna, The Thompson Twins and god knows what else. I still have a tape around somewhere with me singing that song We are the world We are the Children. I also used to carry this poster of the Thompson Twins with me everywhere. Yeah I know it's daggy, but c'mon give me a break I was only 4.
Then all throughout primary school I was into Public Enemy, Milli Vanilli (yeah I know it's sad)+ more rap artists which at the moment I can not remember their names cause they were so short lived.
When I was about 11 or 12 I started getting into the whole Grunge thing like Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, U2, Red Hot Chiil Peppers etc etc. I still like that music sometimes.
When I was in High School I started getting into the whole Alternative music thing as well as a bit of Heavy metal and Industrial music. Me and practically everyone else at both of the girls schools that I went to hated Electronic music, which now come to think of it is really sad. Still most of my friends that I still communicate with from those schools don't like Electronic music, but I guess they don't know what they're missing out on.
When I turned 18 I went out practically every night of the week to either Prince Of Wales, Espy, Greyhound, Sunset (at like 5am) or the Q bar. At the time I had a boyfriend who worked at a restaurant in St Kilda at nights, so it was easy for me to meet him at any one of those places at practically any night of the week. Me him and our friends used to drink and smoke ourselves silly until we basically fell into a heap. One of my good friends turned into an absolute alcoholic who would embarrass me every time we were out. My boyfriend really didn't give a rats ass about anyone except himself, which started to make me think that maybe there's more to life than this so I moved on from that pathetic, ritual of a lifestyle that I had.
For about 4 to 5 months I just used to go out to various places and get drunk a lot. I was still into alternative music, but I didn't really care where I went at the time. I was getting depressed a lot and I felt like I was going no where. My musical tastes at the time were Jeff Buckley and the Whitlams. I used to find myself getting dragged into these clubs that I really didn't want to go to. I just wanted to go away for a while and not come back.
Then after a lot of pestering from Funky I went to my 1st party in Oct last year at the Cage. Well I loved it. I loved the music I loved everything about the scene, the fact that you could talk to anyone, the fact that everyone was sooo happy. I knew then that this was what I would stick to, and so I have. I have learned to like all kinds of Electronic music and I have learned to become more open minded.
So that is who I was before I started going to parties and all that, and that is why I try to steer clear from the alcohol.
------------------
Stacey Pullen worshipper

hey...
well...when i was a lil kid..i got introduced to the work of jean michelle jarre, for thsoe who don't know used to make many cool sounds with phunky analogue synths
smile.gif
and he liked to use lasers in his shows..
hehe then my tastes developed somewhat thru queen, guns n roses, metallica (when i was around 12-14), umm cheese. rotten cheese. cheese like umm alice alice wqho the fuck was alice...hehe then i guess i started to like trance, around the age of 13-15 maybe...like i played piano since i was 10ish so i like melodies, i met robert anthony when i was umm...14 i think? 15 ? can't member..we sorta grew into electronica together, hehe i rember, back in 96, at rebound records, rob got his hands on carl cox fact on vinyl, orginal release, for umm 52 bux i think, and i got reactivate 9 on vinyl too..hehe they were the days.
We used to goto udnerages, hell thats where are friends went, but we always liked the harder sort of shit, like i remember once when diggers played red 2 at underage metro (yes simon digby used to play at metro, and he played at my yr 9 and 10 socials) heheh THEY WERE the days...
I remeber when natural born grooves played live at underage metro, that was cool, hehe we were up there on the stage dancing behind em...
then umm, i duno, my first party was in 96, a free party in city sqare, what i remember to be goa trance, was pretty cool. Then my first pay party i went to was every pic 18....i got sick of the music at commercial clubs...., i wasn't enjoying myself, i didn't like the people, rob had been saying 'man come to a party they are cool, the people are cool, the music is what we love'...
so yeah...
dreamtime 001 was a first for me in many ways, ppl who remember me from there woudl say i was a little..umm...hehe..lets not go there...
smile.gif

And i find myself where im at now..
smile.gif

at peace with who i am, with those around me...
like going to parties has put me where i belong i feel, i love the music more than anything....
smile.gif
it makes me happy......
and i don't care what anyone says...nothing, absolutely NOTHING, beats being up in front of an appreciative crowd, who respect all things new and radical....
It used to shit me that ppl would bag songs at underages and shit if they were 'trippy' or whatever the fuck they call em...like i was sick of getting bagged for likeing 'outer space' music, so yeah...
smile.gif

Good music is the key to emotions,
Emotions are the key to good music
[This message has been edited by [serotone] (edited 29 October 2000).]

Like so many others I was a grunge chick before being brought into the light
wink.gif
Used to get about in Stussy pants and Doc Martens. I even owned a flanny!!! In '92 my friends and I used to do the road trip to Sydney every weekend to see bands like the Meat Puppets at the Lansdowne on Broadway. Hahaha!!! I went to live in England for 2 years and went to the Reading Festival both summers. 3 days in a tent surrounded by dirt, beer and overflowing portaloos, mmmm. I'm SO over day festivals now! (shame, cos the BDO lineup looks great!) Moved into indie/britpop while I was over there, and it was a natural progression into Massive Attack/Portishead/Tricky/Morcheeba and from there into the wonderful world of trance & electronica.
Sometimes, though, I go home and play my James CDs. Or if I'm feeling really self-indulgent, I'll put on Alice in Chains and mosh around the lounge room..
But I have to say, I must be a raver chick from way back, cos a formative moment in my life was when I heard Guru Josh's 'Infinity 1990' (in 1990, natch) and went: 'OMIGOD!! What IS this music? I LOVE IT!!!'
And at the '93 BDO I discovered Severed Heads. FUCKIN ROCKIN BABY!!!!!!
Yup. That's my story.
------------------
~trouble
(with a pop-o-matic bubble)

a huge-ass metal head.....like, pantera, metallica, sepultura, and the like....then i went through the ice-t era.....body count, rap and ghansta bullcrap...
then i tamed a lil and listen to house....all through that time, i luved electronica....so i dunno where i began...
i was a huge fan of those Jive Bunny Mix-master tapes/cds....truly inspiring stuff
wink.gif

long live 104.3!!!!
smile.gif
PDT
smile.gif

Both my folks have been heavily involved in the entertainment industry for about 25-30 years...dad is a singer and an actor,pantos, cabaret nights, theatre restaurants...etc etc. Mum has also worked in theatre restaurants, managed many, so i have been exposed to all types of music from an extremely young age...now, who else knew the music from the Rocky Horror Picture show off by heart at age 7???
wink.gif
I was also a HUGE fan of Kiss at about age 5...still have most of their records which i started collecting at age 5
wink.gif
seriously, i have at the very least an appreciation for ALL genres of music...i LOVE musicals, classical, blues, jazz, soul, disco, even some artists that alot of you might not know..Billy Vera, Bob Sega and the Silver bullet band...i also like Billy Joel, Elton John,...
But as a teen, i loved the tea party, the clouds, God! i couldn't even begin to type the music i love...i find something beautiful in everything i listen to...it's weird. My appreciation for electronic music began at about age 14...i used to hang with older people who mixed and loved electronic music. My first electronic tape i owned was by DJ Vegas and was mixed in late 1991-early 92...it was a happy hardcore mix, with lots of old anthems...one track was "here's Johnny"-----before it went commercial...i haven't been able to track that mix down, and i'd love to.
SO really, when i found electronica, i didn't "stop" listening to everything else...it became just another aspect of music that i love....
I love music, it's my saviour.
*sorry for the ramble
wink.gif
smile.gif

------------------
when your fun becomes your reality...what do you do for fun???
we are not human beings having a spiritual experience...we are spiritual beings having a human experience...
[This message has been edited by samadhi (edited 18 December 2000).]

born 1980
instantly it was- elton john thumped into my head
then about 83-86 it was pop pop pop
late 80's more rockish stuff and cheesy dance
early mid 90's became the world's biggest bon jovi and inxs fan hehe
mid 90's started likely cheesy dance like
on the bible by deuce
early 98 started going to cheesy clubs with friends and after about a month started sneaking off to harder dance clubs and ditching my friends then lateish 98 had my first rave pretty much havern't looked back since.
------------------
'just wait until this song is finished then i'll go :)'

Now here's a really interesting story (pfffftttttt)
Started off getting into Top 40 in Year 7, trying to learn all the words to the best songs and trying to get the lyric sheets from TV Hits mag. Bought my first ever tape - being John Farnham - Whispering Jack....fuck that rocked. After a while - like 6 months - one of my friends introduced me to Metallica.....went from there to stuff like Napalm Death, Carcass, Cannibal Corpse, Bloodduster (who have a new album out BTW - called CUNT
smile.gif
) Damaged, Morbid Angel etc etc. Also listened to a lot of Classical music, Bach, Beethoven, etc etc (and yes at the same time
smile.gif
)
Moved to the USA for a year and started getting into Primus and Tool (back b4 anyone knew who they were here). Came back from the US and stayed in Tassie for another year then moved to melbourne. Moved into shared house in Port Melbourne where I met my partner Lisa (Dan's sister
smile.gif
)
Meanwhile, still into Death and Grindcore big time.
Lisa reckoned I'd have a blast at a rave, so off I went to Essendon airport - out there was the party and my first pill was a white dove
smile.gif

Was a trance head, then went the Uk and saw Nasty, Advent Live, and Carola on the best club sound rig in the world, and techno became my life..
Drug wise in order of ingestion: Alcohol, Cigs, Mull, banana peel, mushrooms (blue meanies - ridiculous), acid (used to do 4 strips
smile.gif
), speed, pills, cocaine, nitrous and that's it.
WHat an interesting read (hmmmmfff)
------------------
Carola's humblest servant
VaN d

A heap of new people since this thread died so I thought it was worth a BUMP.

I've always been open to new things and always like trying stuff out. I have a broad appriciation of music but generally only listen to electronica now although I still have my good old rock favs on every now and then.
smile.gif

Before electronica I was into metal and all that and I was a surfie (still am, but not as much), I got into electronica via listening to the various WILD CD's and through my first raves (love nation last Dec and Utopia @ the superdome). Oh and countless dance parties while I was still in high school, man I would love to go back in time and see myself and mates getting shitfaced and trying to dance to top40.
LOL

Well seeing i'm new i'll reply to this, seems interesting too.
Like the majority of people here i grew up during the grunge period. However my tastes were different. I was into the early industrial electronica stuff like early nine inch nails, pop will eat it's self(ic bin ein auslander) and kmfdm. However seeing i started learning guitar during this period i started to pickup some red hot chili pepper cd's. Also some solo album's of guitarists. Then on my 17th birthday i was given a second hand keyboard. So i taught myself some piano which led to a wierd love of 80's synths. Like Depeche Mode, New Order, ect. By the way Depeche Mode and New Order have both released great CD's this year. Espcially New Order.
But how i got into techno was through industrial. I was at Peril Underground (in Melbourne) having a chat to the guy there and he was playing something in the background. I found out it Aphex Twin, Come to Daddy. That is still one of my all time fav cd's/ep's. Then i got stuff like squarepusher, ect. But it wasn't until my friend dragged me along to Base Station one night then to hard kandy in the morning till i realized what was going on. Fun to be had.

i went from nirvana to prodigy to dance music... slow and ugly slide
wink.gif

still like both of the first... went from alcohol to hard drugs shortly after my 18th birthday... no real using of mary jane in between those two...
i'd been into electronica (read prodigy, chemical brothers and fatboyslim) for about 6 months before i found REAL dance music...
wink.gif

so there it is... i'm still a fucking newbie... or alternatively... i'm NUSKOOL baby yeah!
------------------
Try combining a sense of childlike wonder at the beauty of the world, with cynicism at the state it's in, and stay sane. It isn't easy...