• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

who keeps medications to abort an OD or bad experience?

BTW, just a side note (sort of half relevant) does anyone remember the scene from pult fiction with the chick OD'ing and they jab that giant needle straight in her heart - was that for real or just a hollywood exageration??

My theory is if in doubt, call the ambos. In QLD, police are definately not in the business of chasing ambulances. The only reason police will be called is if the ambos (or the phone operator) suspect there is a risk of violence, or the situation is unsafe. Thats why its important to remain calm on the phone and when dealing with health professionals. In QLD, it costs around $80 for an ambulance to be called, and $250 for non-emergency transport to hospital (emergency transporting is heaps more expensive). If you choose not to pay the bill, I believe they take no further action. I always think its better left to the pro's.

another good point is that if u give someone drugs in an attempt in helping them and it goes bad and they die u could find yourself on manslaughter charges.
babydoc, or anyone, got any data on blood pressures on amphetamines and b-blockers? cos dont forget they decrease rate as well as force of contraction of heart, thus decreasing pressure. so who wins, alpha vaso constriction or b-block decreased force?
SirLSD

sirLSD: nah man, that's some obscure stuff you're after! I've pulled out my fave references already!
belky21: I'm fairly certain that Pulp fiction thing was BS(though if anyone works in Emergency Med and knows otherwise I will happily stand corrected). In hospital they could set up a central venous catheter which goes into the veins near your heart, but I think they usually use peripheral veins in an emergency. (The only time I saw a team working on someone who had arrested, they stuck a bunch of venous lines into the arms)
So, we all agree that none of use should intervene with medications in an OD situation, but it was still a thoroughly enjoyable discussion :)

My dad keeps a small bottle of 'Spirit of Sal Volatile' in our medicine box, it's a smelling salt/ heart stimulant. Thing is, he also keeps two syringes with it. I'm not sure if they are related (could you inject it? i doubt it), and whether he keeps the needles in case he has a heart attack, or if he thinks I'm going to OD one day ( an unlikely event, unless it's on bad pills, but you can never be too safe). Any ideas from medically trained people?

You people have just pulled out bad examples. Opiate addicts should almost definatly keep some nalaxone..or naltrxeone. You can't OD on it yourself (just cause withdrawal). Secondly what about the benzo antagonists....why wouldn't you want to have these around in case of an OD involving benzos.
Sure call the ambulance if you really need to. Unfortunatly the ambulance/posion people need to do things there way and are always super carefull. Even in situations where there really is not potential for OD (say a large but not huge amount of benzos) they still do observation and all sorts of shit for hours.
Finally there are some damn good docs out there...but I trust alot of docs less than I trust me and a reference book.