• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

who is your greatest sports ICON?

axl blaze

Bluelighter
throughout our many years watching and playing sports, we start to idolize certain players whom we think have just the right skills, attitude, and charisma. great players of professional games reach legendary status, a social status higher than government officials or even celebrities. who, growiing up or as of now, is a figure in sports that you idolize and cherish more than any other player in the league? please limit one sports star per post, but you are not limited to just one sports star!

kosar.gif

Where I grew up, Bernie Kosar was the man. He played for the Browns from 1985-93, never leading them to a Super Bowl, but oh so close so many times. (damn the broncos, damn the oilers, damn the steelers) He was awkward, ran like he had two left feet, and threw sidearm sometimes but he was a true NE Ohio legend.
14.gif

Last edited:
for me as a kid, it was Donnie Baseball himself... Don Mattingly, the current bench coach of the New York Yankees, and for sure the next skipper... he was the man. He won Gold Gloves and batting titles, something today's players couldn't fathom. He held down first base for the Yanks during some bleak years and never turned into a power hungry schmuck or smarmy prick. When the player's union wanted to set a standard of charging for autographs, Donnie was on the few who rightly refused.

972005Jerome_Bettis_steelers-sm.jpg

Jerome Bettis, nicknamed "The Bus" (born in Detroit, Michigan), is a former American football halfback for the NFL's Pittsburgh Steelers. Bettis is considered one of the best big backs of his era, and is fifth on the National Football League's all-time rushing list. He retired in 2006 after a Super Bowl victory. Bettis attended the University of Notre Dame.

_41298206_hinesbus416.jpg

bobby orr.
Orr.jpeg

Robert Gordon "Bobby" Orr, OC (born March 20, 1948 in Parry Sound, Ontario) is a retired Canadian ice hockey defenceman, and is considered to be one of the greatest hockey players of all time.[1][2] He played for the NHL teams Boston Bruins and Chicago Blackhawks.

A great athlete and sportsman.

Last edited:
it would really help if you guys wrote a little bit about the icon, not just the name. tell us why he is so important to you, tell us how he impacted your life in a profound way. pictures are great, too.

come on, people. these are your sports ICONS! give them a little justice!

Last edited:
Its gotta be Michael Jordan, not only was he one of the all-time great basketball players.....but many would argue he is one of the all time great athletes....

His name is now-a-days used in everyday language to define greatness.... "That guy is the Michael Jordan of _______, he's the best ever" This also transcends sports into everyday life.

Most notably, and i think most would agree, that Michael Jordan is not only considered one of the most clutch athletes in all of athletics of all time, but probably one of, if not the most classiest sports player of all time. He is the role model for role models.

yeah.... I could very well have said MJ myself, Hypnotik. I think with the age range going on this board, his "Airness" should occupy at least half of this thread.

Mia Hamm - set almost every record for a female soccer player, pioneered womens soccer in the US and argubly around the globe, huge female icon

Ricky Carmichael - The GOAT (greatest of all time) Supercross/Motocross rider, has been setting and shattering records since he was around 4years old...now trying his hand at NASCAR after retiring from dirtbikes (not a fan of circle-track racing personally, but i wish him well)

Michael Schumacher - greatest F1 racer ever, classy fellow, personally gave $10M of his own money to the Tsunami relief fund from 2005 (?not sure of the year?)

Last edited:
^there are plenty of F1 fans who wouldn't dare call Schumie "classy" ;)

For me...Joe Montana. Bill Walsh. Ronnie Lott. Jerry Rice. Tony Gwynn. Magic Johnson. Wayne Gretzky. Muhammad Ali.

^it'd be more appropriate if you had an animated gif of him spinning his elbows around towards a defender's face. :D

JerryBlunted said:
for me as a kid, it was Donnie Baseball himself... Don Mattingly, the current bench coach of the New York Yankees, and for sure the next skipper... he was the man. He won Gold Gloves and batting titles, something today's players couldn't fathom. He held down first base for the Yanks during some bleak years and never turned into a power hungry schmuck or smarmy prick. When the player's union wanted to set a standard of charging for autographs, Donnie was on the few who rightly refused.

http://www.myspace.com/donniebaseball

sick! i think he'll make it to the hall of fame, eventually. especially if he sticks in with managing and takes over from torre.

Tim Duncan. I know the man personally and I know a few of the other team members (SA Spurs... the CHAMPIONS) through the owner who is a family friend. He's extremely articulate and smart, has a degree in psychology from Wake Forest, keeps himself out of the limelight by behaving with dignity and moral standards, is extremely friendly, and possibly the greatest player in the NBA at the moment (though he's not very flashy so he's often overlooked). Since he joined the Spurs he's been a reliable and monumental addition to the team. He does a lot for the community too but it doesn't get any publicity.

Edit- Practically any San Antonian would give the same response.

Hypnotik1 said:
Its gotta be Michael Jordan, not only was he one of the all-time great basketball players.....but many would argue he is one of the all time great athletes....

His name is now-a-days used in everyday language to define greatness.... "That guy is the Michael Jordan of _______, he's the best ever" This also transcends sports into everyday life.

Most notably, and i think most would agree, that Michael Jordan is not only considered one of the most clutch athletes in all of athletics of all time, but probably one of, if not the most classiest sports player of all time. He is the role model for role models.

well said.

the number 23.

could he have reached his heights without his support: pippen, kerr, rodman, kukoc, paxson, etc? probably not.
But he did lift the game of all those around him.

I've never been one to "follow" sport per se, but the man's work through chicago bull's threepeat from 91 glued me to the game.

"the doc and the king...
Jordan-scottie.jpg

... the king and doc."

BA said:
kosar.gif

Where I grew up, Bernie Kosar was the man. He played for the Browns from 1985-93, never leading them to a Super Bowl, but oh so close so many times. (damn the broncos, damn the oilers, damn the steelers) He was awkward, ran like he had two left feet, and threw sidearm sometimes but he was a true NE Ohio legend.
14.gif

hell yea, kosar!

i don't really have one as such but if i did, it would be lance armstrong - i think 7 tours in a row is the greatest achievement in sports history

alasdair