Who is this God guy, anyway?

our desire to explain and answer all things have led us to personify god and give human characteristics to something which will never be able to be given a definitive forumalation for explanation which can be proved correct or incorrect. life will do anything it can to survive. every life form displays this is nature around us. human beings have the same desire to live. if the universe and all that exists in it can be explained as an energy or a force, a tangible, existing entity, wouldn't it have the same desire to continue its existence. maybe 'god' didn't create the earth and life on it for our glory or for his, but we were merely a product of its own evolutionary cycle of its own existence in what exists around us. chemical reactions will continue to occur if the correct building blocks are present. we may be building blocks which ensure the existence of something which is greater than what even we can imagine or begin to understand. it's a thought, anyway.

Ok these are just my beliefs mind you.
God is infinity contained within nothingness.
A mind for want of a better word that exists entirely without physical embodiement.
God is not "energy" as we know energy and God is not concrete.
God could not know godself, because God was all there was and wasn't. God had nothing to compare to. Sooo God thought a universe, and it exists in God's mind.
We are all expressions of God, in an infinite number of ways having an infinite number of experiences because it is through this illusion of seperation and these experiences of pain and pleasure that God knows Godself.
Imagine this, nothingness that is not even empty space (for empty space is in and of itself a "thing")
That is what God is, there is neither space nor time, until God decided for there to be the illusion of it.
There are many different levels of conciousness.
There is the mundane level of conciousness, where all of this seems real.
The sub-concious, where decisions are made that we are not even aware of.
The unconcious which holds memories we don't even realize we have and uses these to influence our decisions.
The super-conciousness or the soul, at this level of awareness we exist outside of space and time and pleasure and pain but we still retain our sense of individuality. This level of conciousness is where decisions about external events that happen to you are made.
From there you have levels of conciousness where you no longer retain your entire sense of individuality.
There is lover-conciousness where you and a lover are one.
National conciousness, where you are at one with all in you nation
Racial conciousness where you are at one with all in your race
Global, human, sentient, life-form and on and on and on. An infinite number there..
Finally we come to Supra-conciousness. This is ALL of it. One with everything that is and isn't
Being infinity within nothingness.
Ok, this is probably confusing and hard to understand so let me know what you guys think. Its a belief system that has worked very well for me in the past few years and it grows continually.
Love,
Pure

Evolution + non-existence of God = humans as selfish survival-of-the-fittest machines?
NO!
Because we are intelligent creatures, when our existence is not threatened, we are free to act in any way we please. I know many, many altruistic atheists.
And even if it is the case that we are selfish by nature, we can overcome our nature.
Define yourself, don't be defined.
-Trancendance
------------------
Trance and Dance: the enlightened path to Trancendence.

glowbug, the evolutionary importance of sacrifice rings loud and clear when you see a mother and her young.
After thousands of years of evolution of genes and memes it is now a fairly ingrained aspect of our genetics and culture to value some acts of sacrifice.
Also consider the excess wealth and free-time that most of us enjoy. When you are foraging for food the continuum of sacrifice is sparse. When you have a lot of free-time and wealth there are a lot more oportunities for sacrifice.
Some people are so practiced at giving that a cold lake doesn't seem like that big of a plunge to take.
smile.gif

a good question..but we can`t explain God. we mainly share our thoughts and believes about supreme beings. thats interesting too. i know God is, everywhere. i wont try to explain it i`ll just say this; when you meet Krishna (Allah,Christ,Buddha..) you just want to worship It.
a_o

I dunno.. maybe god is love. god is laughter, and all the good vibes inside each and every person. Or god is a sadist tightass looking down on us like the nazi's did in the prison camps.

God is in all of us in some form or another...what may be God in you may not be God in me. We all have the capability to love and express our innate goodness to our fellow men and women. What angers me is when people judge others, the Moral Majority who says that homosexuals are bad and should be shunned and/or worse, that feel they have the right to tell me I must bear an unwanted child while all the while passing laws that would restrict benefits to me and this as-yet-unborn child once it sees the light of day. That is structured religious b.s., not the voice of God, if indeed(s)he has a voice. Maybe God is that little voice we call a conscience that keeps us from harming ourselves and others. If we accept the premise of God, and that He made us in his own image while acknowledging our human fallibility, we must realize that God knows and understands that we are gonna screw up, and that he gives us a shot at redemption every single day. Just by waking up in the morning we are given a chance to undo some of the harm -intentional or unintentional- which we have done in the past. Even PLUR combines all the aspects of that which is traditionally viewed as good, or godly. Peace - the eternal quest of all the ages, as yet unfulfilled
Love - what we all seek on this spinning orb
Unity - the only thing which will help us achieve together what we cannot find alone
Respect - Without it, we are only animals, incapable of empathy

The brain is extremely powerful.
Supreme beings and nirvana exist, but only in your mind.
What planet do you think the sunflower guy is on?

To me god is the embodiment of all things. Sort of an unintelligent being that has become intelligent and created everything in order to understand itself.

Interesting that we have circled the issue, but cannot come to any concrete conclusions? Why? I believe that is one of the biggest challenges we face as *humans*.
wink.gif

First of all, Stasis (I think it was Stasis) did a great job of summing up Aquinas' First Cause Argument. Aquinas also had a few other ingenious arguments, which I would suggest anyone interested in the existence of God argument should read. There are a few other arguments out there that are very credible as well.
Next, look at Hume. I am not going to try and sum up Hume, that would take too much time. But I think his arguments and dialogues are extremely pertinent.
Which brings me to the problem of evil. I think it all comes down to that, really. Even with arguments such as Aquinas', we come to the problem of evil and draw blanks. To basically sum it up for those of you who aren't familiar with it, it goes as such. If there is a God, and this God is both omnibenevolent (all-good) and omnipotent (all-powerful), why does evil exist in the world? Why would an omnibenevolent God let evil happen, when He obviously has the power to stop it, because He is omnipotent? I can give examples.
wink.gif

In the end, we can argue this until we are blue in the face, but the conclusions always remain just out of reach. Why is this? Who knows. It seems as though humans have the choice to forge their own path and choose their own philosophies, no matter how they go about doing that. Isn't that a beautiful thing?
I have my own personal beliefs, but I don't think anyone here is particularly concerned with hearing them....
smile.gif

------------------
je danse pendant la nuit, quand tout le monde dort...

imagine infinity, everything from the subparticles of darkmatter to the enormous expansion of the universe, if u conceive of all of this at once then u understand god
god is everything
~:0

If god exists he must be a dj or a woman.
------------------
The scene is what you make of it.

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

Ashke!!! You better come say hi in social, there is a thread over there about you cause we all miss you so much! So come over for a minute and make us happy!!

I'm not sure why this was bumped.
Haven't we debated the meaning of god and whether or not he exists (including criticism of attempts to prove he exists) in a number of more recent threads?
~psychoblast~

I posted this to another thread but it applies here as well..... so I'm re-posting it.....
Growing up as a child I always labelled myself as an athiest because none of the religions seemed to click with me and even as a young girl it didnt seem right that almost every religion (excluding Wicca)had a male figure as it's deity.
But as I got older, in my teens and early 20's, I realized that just because I didn't buy into "man-made" religions didn't mean I wasn't spiritual and that there wasn't a higher power/force in the universe.
I try not to label this power, but I would best describe it as that which is beyond our comprehension. I think humans are arrogant to think that anything that they could form into words could even come close to describing/comprehending that which is above our scope of reality. Would you ask an insect to explain physics? That's the best analogy I can come up with.
I think all we can do is "feel" that force as best we can and try to tap into it and experience it as fully as humanly possible. And the fact that most religions describe their deity in anything close to human form nevermind a MALE at that.... it's almost laughable. It would make more sense if it was a hermaphrodite (both male & female), and who says that there aren't more sexes than male and female?
I guess my point is, if you can put it into words, it's probably wrong!!
Anyway... that's my two cents worth!!
**Peace**

i believe there is a god, or something watchin over us. from my experience, in times of fear, loneliness, and sadness, i have asked god to relieve my pain and it has worked every time.
i believe god is within the soul, is in other people, and all around us. next time ur in a rave feelin the love and pure happiness, think of god, the feelin will multiply!! a twisted suggestion to maximize the high!! but it works for me that is!!
------------------
id rather live in an illusion than face harsh reality