• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

which is your favourite: Final Fantasy game?

which is the best?

• Final Fantasy I

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Final Fantasy II

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Final Fantasy III

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Final Fantasy IV

• Final Fantasy V

• Final Fantasy VI

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Final Fantasy VII

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • Final Fantasy VIII

• Final Fantasy IX

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Final Fantasy X

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Final Fantasy X-2

• Final Fantasy XII

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Final Fantasy Tactics

• Total voters

MyDoorsAreOpen

Bluelight Crew
The Final Fantasy series by Square Enix (formerly Squaresoft) includes most of the roleplaying video games I most fondly remember from when I was a kid. My brother and I used to play them together -- he owns the complete works, for all the systems, and even plays the MMORPG nowadays, which I don't care for.

If you could pick two or three essential games published under the Final Fantasy title, for introducing someone who had never played anything in the series before, which ones would they be?

using the U.S. numbering (which differs from Japan's) I would say FF3, FF7, FF10 and Final Fantasy Tactics would give a pretty good insight to how the games evolved and all the directions they encompass. these ones are my favorites though the never released in the U.S. FF5 is pretty goddamn good too.

I would pick FF7, FF8 or FF10 personally. Getting someone hooked/involved in FF3 these days is asking a little much. It was a great game, but not easy to get in too these days for someone that is new to the series or the idea of an RPG.

With that said...I would also hesitate to choose FF7. Mainly for dated graphics reason and a slow 3-D engine that can get tedious when you give it a replay these days. FF10 is a good start. If the person you are trying to hook is female, you might even consider the bubbly sequel, FFX-2.

The only FF I haven't played is FF12. But I honestly think that FF8, FF7 and FF10 are my favorites...in that order.

all of these games benefit from emulation where you can speed up the engine to make some of the overly drawn out cutscenes quicker.

final fantasy 10.
although ive only played and beaten 2 final fantasys, which are 10 and 12, i already know enough bout FF7 so i woudnt see a point in playing it, although i might buy the remake coming out for the ps3 and give it a go since the graphics will be way better.

FF10 had such a great story, and it was the first final fantasy i ever played, and the first one to play the whole way through, and i loved it.

ive played FF 6,9,10-2(which was a waste of time and money), and a lil bit of 3, but never beat em. i had FF6 on an emulator for my computer, but something hapend to my file and it got deletd somehow right before i beat it.

As a complete package & a truly seminal title VII is the greatest & most fondly remembered of the lot. It has the best atmosphere, characterisation & plot of any game in the series, in my & many other's opinion. Plus it has the greatest villain in any game ever. This is a fact.

Plot-wise I'd say VI comes in second, but should be considered in light of the fact that it's a SNES game, with all of the 2D stylings & sometimes clunky interface that that entails.

For me it's difficult to choose between VIII & IX as I love them both.

VIII is probably the most measured of the series, features a cast of precociously moody teenagers & has its main focus as a love story between the two main characters. Sometimes this is excruciatingly heavy-handed & juvenile, but at others it really works & stands apart from the other games in the series in this regard. Its magic system is the most complex of any Final Fantasy & is a love-it or hate-it affair, much like the whole game really.

IX is quite bright & breezy, something of a return to the series' roots, & for the most part is a joy to play. But it loses its way a little in the final 3rd & the simplicity of its game systems are either a bonus or a failing depending on your perspective.

Final Fantasy Tactics is superb, with more depth & opportunity for experimentation than any other, but it's very much an acquired taste.

In my opinion the ones to avoid are: X & XII.

X looks nice, but in all other regards is piss-poor. The plot is shite, the characters are a bunch of dullards & the sense of making your way across a vast, foreign land is non-existent, due to the absence of a traversable world map. In my experience those who tend to rate it so highly are those for whom it was their first Final Fantasy. Speak to anyone who played the SNES or PS1 games first & they'll invariably rate those earlier titles higher.

XII was one of the biggest gaming disappointments I've ever had. It looks lovely, marks a real change for the series by making combat real-time & won game of the year awards all over the place. But the plot is frankly dreadful, the characters are completely forgettable & the feeling of endless level-grinding never goes away. I'm in a minority with this opinion though, as millions seem to love it.

^^^

naw man. XII sucked ass. and i do admit that final fantasy X was the first final fantasy i ever played but i still loved it.

final fantasy VI was great too. but like i posted earlier i never got to finish it. i got a little bit past the part where the world is split in two or something really big happens and your party is scattered and a few years pass before you meet up again. i dont really remember but that game was the shit.

Final Fantasy VI. The game that really deserves a remake.

I remember X fondly, it almost caused me to fail out of college at one point! But my first Final Fantasy was 1 for the NES. It helped me learn to read.

FF III (VI) is the clear winner, IMO. It gets an A for story, graphics (at the time), game play, as well as being one of the most memorable video games I have ever played to date.

FF VII comes in at a close second for all of the reasons I stated above. I'm not sure which of these two has the better villain. If you're looking at the badass factor, Sephiroth wins handily, but if you're looking at the sadistic psychopathic factor, Kefka is the winner.

Well I was addicted to FFXI for like 2 years so naturally thats my personal fav.....but, as for the non-mmo Final Fantasy's my favorites are 4 and 9, most people didn't like 9 that much but I loved it! All Final Fantasy's are good imo, except X-2 I guess, that was pretty gay.

1.) VI
2.) VII
Very, very, very close call for these two.

3.) VIII

I don't want to say 6 is better than 7, but for me it's true.

8 is an acquired taste, and after beating all three of these games a couple dozen times I think it's the most interesting one to max out, and it also has a plot that always reveals a little something more each time... so subtle...

I'm a typical Final Fantasy worshipper, and I could talk about these masterpieces for hours.

^^^ Didn't 6 win one of the major gaming magazine's awards for best plot ever?

I'm currently replaying FF6 on my DS, and I'm struck by how much Jules Verne and other industrial revolution era sci-fi writers would have liked this game.

mystic quest ftw!

if someone never played final fantasies before, uh.. i gotta reccomend the first, 6th, and 10th.

anyone remember that one fighting-game that featured ff characters and that weird dungeon crawler? hehe.

lawofkato said:
Actually...it has one. It's for the DS I believe?

Well... kinda. That's the one I'm playing right now actually. Leveling up my characters makes the bus to and from work not only bearable but enjoyable.

I say 'kinda' because it's the exact same game. The only difference is a cleanup of the translation, with the couple smudges of Engrish in the original cleaned off.

I hope if they do a 3D remake of FFVI, all the original big creative minds behind the original are still alive, working, and willing to contribute to it. I'd like to see the original musical score kept intact, but rerecorded with state of the art synthesizers. All the female characters' theme songs are hauntingly beautiful, especially. I remember it being a haunting game overall, that stayed in my thoughts a long time after my brother and I finished it.

I'd say most of the same things about VII. Too bad that'll never come out for DS :(

I am stoked to pick up FFV, in a professional English translation, for the DS next!

I loved FFX, ive played VIII, VII, IX, and XII

FFX was and still is my favorite

I grew up with Nintendo and played the all holy piss out of FF1. But...it's even harder to go back and play nowadays. ahaha.

Although...I did make an attempt with a one character run. I took a Red Mage and killed off the other 3. I made it through the Earth Temple and beat it with my lone Red Mage at lvl 48 or something. Too bad 50 was the max...as I couldn't get much further in the game with him :(