• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Where can I find published papers?

complexPHILOSOPHY

Bluelighter
I am working on an independant research thesis and I am trying to gather as many published papers by reputable sources relating to my thesis.

My research thesis is related to Animal Cognition so any websites that might keep published papers would be great.

I keep running into places that ask me for money. If anyone has any websites or just suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

In the meantime, I will continue to look for individual papers.

Bah and I thought you were going to say 'Physics and Astronomy' and I would have been able to say http://xxx.lanl.gov/ the collection of mathematical and physical papers online! It does have papers on cognition, but they are very mathematical and aimed more at neurons than general animal behaviour (such as this).

Definitely worth running some words through the search function just in case or for any scientific theories/ideas you've questions about. Watch out through, if you thought the 'Beyond Standard Model' section on www.physicsforums.com was complicated some of these make them look like complete novices! 8o

AlphaNumeric said:
Bah and I thought you were going to say 'Physics and Astronomy' and I would have been able to say http://xxx.lanl.gov/ the collection of mathematical and physical papers online! It does have papers on cognition, but they are very mathematical and aimed more at neurons than general animal behaviour (such as this).

Definitely worth running some words through the search function just in case or for any scientific theories/ideas you've questions about. Watch out through, if you thought the 'Beyond Standard Model' section on www.physicsforums.com was complicated some of these make them look like complete novices! 8o

Haha -- I am highly interested in cognition and cognitive psychology so I am working on this research thesis.

I can barely do math right now (it's been three years since highschool and four years since my last mathematics class) so trying to do my own research paper in the field of astronomy/mathematics is near impossible for me.

I have always had a lot of knowledge in the field of cognitive psychology so writting research papers in relation to this is much more enjoyable.

I shall look into these websites, though.

What university do you go to---I know I use Medline and Pubmed to search lots of journals and use them, if I log into the uni's network

I dont know any :/ Im sorry. Hmmm I think fizzygirl might know some though.

hashish2020 said:
What university do you go to---I know I use Medline and Pubmed to search lots of journals and use them, if I log into the uni's network

I don't go to a university right now.

I am heading to UCSD in the fall but I wanted to get working on this independant thesis while I wait for my uni to start.

I figured if I can get a portion of this done before then or possibly complete before then, I will have a better chance of getting it published if it pans out the way I think it will.

Any suggestions for people not currently in a Uni?

Most of the good article search sites are accessible through Uni.
Is there any chance you could get a friend's login and pass for proxy server access to a university library?
scholar.google.com is worth a shot.

ebola

It's going to be soooooo much easier once you get access to Uni databases. Mostly because the universities have already paid the access fees to all of the databases, so you don't have to fork out any cash.

Do you have any decent research libraries, or state libraries or anything that you could go to? They are almost definitely going to have decent search facilities/access to databases. Here in Australia we have State Libraries and the National Library, places you can go to for literature searches... possibly try and find something like this.

CB :)

i'll second the google scholar recommendation :)

certainly for arts i know some sites can offer you 'trial' memberships where you are allowed access to a few documents or for a limited time before deciding you want to register; maybe that's also a possibility?

yea, you should definitely try to get access to paid-for archives (e.g. www.jstor.org) through your university...

in my experience, you wont be able to get what you need without these (i.e. free).

Thanks for everyones suggestions. I don't have any friends at a uni right now since I abandoned Virginia a year ago and moved to California on my own.

My girlfriend and I both live together but we are both heading to the same uni in the fall.

I will see if a friend back home might have access. Either way, I am heading to the library this weekend to get working on some of the book research and hopefully they will have some research abilities.

Thanks guys. If anyone has anymore suggestions, that would be great.