• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

when basifying what solvent can be substituted in for chloroform

T9358

Bluelighter
the average person does not have access to chloroform, when basifying say DPT HCL to create a freebase, is there another solvent that can be used, I don't want to end up with toxic DPT, wich is why I am asking, no need for a tek just a option. is this chloroform used based on its polarity or lack there of? thanks

chloroform is used because its a water-immiscible solvent with moderate polarity

naptha is the best bet for a layman

this is not really advanced discussion.

you should be able to find small home scientific vendors on the web or on certain popular auction sites that will sell small amounts of chloroform (< 500 mL). in a pinch, you could substitute with dichloromethane which i know those vendors _definitely_ sell (again, in small quantities). it shouldn't cost you too much either. anything else won't evaporate as nice and clean so extractions are messier and more of a pain in the butt. just because fisher or sigma-aldrich won't talk to you doesn't mean some of these organic solvents are impossible to get (anymore). now, fine organics and organic intermediates, different story... there's a business idea!