View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

What's your favorite entheogen and why?

washingtonbound

Bluelighter
I?ve been considering this question as I continue to look into entheogen use for healing of past traumas. I?ve experienced all the main psychedelics but never had any luck with mescaline or DMT (likely due to faulty product or ingestion method). I?m looking to attend a traditional peyote/ayahuasca ceremony at some point in the near future to help me make sense of some difficult experiences. In the past I have had negative experiences (psychosis) from my DOCs (acid and ketamine), when pursuing a therapeutic experience. I feel that attending a ceremony with organic plant medicine involved rather than stuff from a lab in god knows where would be more appropriate. So to answer my own question my favorite used to be ketamine (if it can be categorized as that), and I?m looking for forward to aye and mesc in a more professional setting. What are your favorite ?spiritual drugs??

I have some homegrown pot from a neighbor which always adds sparkle and CEV's, but my fave is LSD for full spectrum mind expansion.
what the pot does is simple but lingering, what the acid does is more spiritual perhaps. perhaps not.

why do you think something from a plant has any better emotional-healing power vs a synthetic chemical?

or is it simply the ceremonial setting of a peyote mass that you think would be the benefit?

Acid is my favourite drug. I'm not spiritual though and I think the organic vs. synthetic debate is absurd. I think that entheogen is a misnomer because it's the person creating the beliefs, not the drug

Peyote and aye have been used as medicine by indigenous peoples for thousands of years before psychiatry was even invented. LSD and ketamine do not have the same history of therapeutic use (unless you want to argue that the Greeks maybe drank ergot infused beer, which LSD is derived from). I want to experience these substances authentically by someone who has family ties in shamanism that go back far. It is a better approach to me than trying to will my issues away or continuing to screw off listening to lo fi music in my basement on acid.

That probably is a better approach, I'd say because of the intention you're going in with. Personally I don't buy into the traditionalist fallacy, speaking of 'authentic' drug use really has no meaning. Why would someone who purports to be a shaman have any more insight than your brother ted? Supposedly because of family ties, but whose family is relevant to your interaction with the universe? It's a cultural thing and interesting in its own right, but just doesn't apply to my own life in the same way as it does to theirs. It's just a rehash of the 'magical native' trope.

It's great to be open to the possibility of wisdom in other cultures, but I find I am my own best teacher and student.

Magic Mushrooms, in my experiences, less chances of a trip you can't handle. but we're all different.

It's great to be open to the possibility of wisdom in other cultures, but I find I am my own best teacher and student.

I feel the same. I think it's a good rule of thumb, but maybe it's a personal thing.

I think I have many favourite entheogens, favourites for different aspects:

LSD, mescaline, 5-MeO-DMT, ETH-LAD are all up there.

To me 5-MeO-DMT is the most powerful and direct entheogen, but it's not always called for. It really goes straight to the point.

LSD is a gift. It's very tried and true.

Mescaline is so earthy, rounded, centering. I find a lot of the 2C-x series share aspects of their father/grandfather, mescaline.

ETH-LAD is futuristic and still a bit of a mystery. Very revelatory and compelling.

In my opinion LSD and Shrooms are way to go, but to heal past traumas, you firstly have to "find them." It's not for just one-time experience because old prints in unconscious are "hidden" behind defensive mechanisms of your mind. In psychiatric clinics which were using psychedelics during therapy, they had to give substances to hospitalised patients up to 30 times (for LSD from 50 to 400 ug doses) (but only one per week or two). It can by also dangerous - as you were talking about psychosis. It may occur all the time. You should be able to speak to psychotherapist during the experience.

Remember, that just knowing about the origins of your past traumas has no healing effect. You have to be able to solve them and/or see them in "different light."

And don't forget about great setting (because set is not good at this point).

Good luck :)
My usage of psychedelics has mostly the same reason.

- MHF

I feel the same. I think it's a good rule of thumb, but maybe it's a personal thing.

I think I have many favourite entheogens, favourites for different aspects:

LSD, mescaline, 5-MeO-DMT, ETH-LAD are all up there.

To me 5-MeO-DMT is the most powerful and direct entheogen, but it's not always called for. It really goes straight to the point.

LSD is a gift. It's very tried and true.

Mescaline is so earthy, rounded, centering. I find a lot of the 2C-x series share aspects of their father/grandfather, mescaline.

ETH-LAD is futuristic and still a bit of a mystery. Very revelatory and compelling.

Couldnt agree more! Although I think I prefer the full spectrum of alkaloids from the cactus over isolated mescaline.

Oddly enough, shrooms provided the most uncomfortable experience for me although the setting was not ideal either.

Many people find mushrooms to be among the most powerful and also potentially very difficult of the common psychedelics. I fall in that group for sure, LSD or mescaline are easier to handle for me than mushrooms by far. Also, my best trip of all time was on mushrooms, but so was my worst.

Peyote and aye have been used as medicine by indigenous peoples for thousands of years before psychiatry was even invented. LSD and ketamine do not have the same history of therapeutic use (unless you want to argue that the Greeks maybe drank ergot infused beer, which LSD is derived from). I want to experience these substances authentically by someone who has family ties in shamanism that go back far. It is a better approach to me than trying to will my issues away or continuing to screw off listening to lo fi music in my basement on acid.

Of course, that's not to say that LSD and ketamine do not have therapeutic use, or somehow have inherently lesser therapeutic use (see maps/past experiments etc), or that somehow a history of such use gives it more merit.

I think it's important to bare in mind that a lot of people are going out to take ayahuasca in ceremonies and being left absolutely jarred to the bones and suffering PTSD etc, with little to no aftercare. I do wonder how different it is than if somebody was giving them 1000 mics of acid or something, often with no previous psychedelic experience.

I just think that people seem to think that going out and doing naturally occurring psychedelics in a ceremony is some kind of definitive silver bullet, when it really isn't the case. It's vitally important to bare in mind that you're being naturally imbued with somebody else's cultural belief system, which might not translate too well when you get off the plane back home.

Not to say it doesn't work or isn't worth doing... but just something to bare in mind. I've come across some pretty pretentious and patronising people who are quite forceful advocates of this kind of route, which doesn't bode well for me. Some of them strike me as little different from priests preaching from the alter or whatever other religious folk you come across trying to get you you to follow their more pure way.

I'd just like to also echo this statement. But also, whatever works for you.

In the past I have had negative experiences (psychosis) from my DOCs (acid and ketamine), when pursuing a therapeutic experience.

Edit: Just saw this bit. This is something worth seriously taking into account. You will not necessarily be protected from this.

Edit 2: in answer to your original question, my favourite is LSD.

Last edited: