• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What's YOUR diet?

A couple of friends of mine who happen to be mycologists have always told me it's a digestion issue, and I've come to agree with them after trying a few different mushrooms both raw and cooked and seeing how my stomach settled (or didn't settle) afterward.

I've found this article useful as well: http://www.mykoweb.com/articles/EatingRawMushrooms.html

Hmm interesting. I do love them cooked as well. Especially cut into flat pieces and cooked in my cast iron pan, mmmmm. This thread makes me so hungry. :)

Haha, yeah I worked up quite the appetite reading this thread. And that's exactly how I prefer my mushrooms as well, sometimes with a little garlic and basil. Yum!! =D

They make brown rice pasta too. Check out Tinkyada. They sell it at Wal Mart. The yummiest pasta I've ever tasted and it's nothing but rice. No fillers, allergens, preservatives... just rice. Mmm.
I was totally not aware of that--Thank you for pointing that out, because I have wondered if they made brown rice pasta but have not seen it. I wish I had checked this thread before shopping today, lol. I'm going to have to check the grocery store a bit better next time I go. (I don't shop at Wal-Mart unfortunately, so if they're the only place for brown rice noodles, I guess I'm SOL.)

No, any decent grocery store (that has whole foods, organic stuff, etc) should carry Tinkyada. Whole Foods or health food stores would pretty much always have it. I see gluten free options showing up at more and more grocery stores ever since gluten free and celiac awareness has become more mainstream in the past few years. You also should be able to get some decent rice noodles in the asian section with the thai food and coconut milk, etc. Those are usually white rice noodles, but also very yummy.

^ Yeah, I frequently get the white rice noodles and they are delicious. Did a product search for Tinkyada and the store I go to does have them--I'm excited. Thanks again!

Yay! :) The little spirally ones are my fave. They are like little carriers of sauce to my mouth. :D

I'm going to have to try the elbow noodles--I've been searching and searching for a "healthy" elbow noodle. All I've been able to find are the bleached/enriched white pasta elbow noodles. I totally forgot to check the natural place in my grocery store--and I'm down that way almost every time I go, getting hemp milk, quinoa, and numerous other odds and ends. Quinoa is even IN the "gluten free" section. Lawl, when I grocery shop, I stick to my list. :p

This summer, I began a two-thirds raw, whole, lacto-vegetarian diet. Dinner wasn't restricted, but for the earlier meals and snacks of the day, it would be strictly fresh fruit and veggies, nuts, whole grains, cheese, milk, and yogurt. I can't pin this on my diet for certain, but I DO find it an odd coincidence that I haven't been sick once since around the time I started the diet, which is the first year I've seen this in my entire life (I tended to get sick a LOT).

Could eliminating a large portion of processed foods and meat from my diet have really boosted my immune system like that? Or is it a fluke?

I'd watch the dairy intake. Loading up on pasteurized dairy is never a good thing. Not saying don't eat it at all, but I wouldn't center my diet around it like that. I suggest replacing some of that dairy with more avacado and coconut (milk or oil). Since I've discovered all that can be done with coconut milk. I don't really even miss dairy.

We just had coconut milk/garlic asparagus alfredo sauce pasta last night, it was yum! :)

But yeah, if you are eating 2/3 raw, I'd guess it's all that good raw food that is supporting your immune system better, alkalinizing your system and helping prevent illness.

I'm on an anti-sugar diet at the moment. I've read a lot of horrible things about it and it turns out it has so many negative effects and I'm disgusted at how we are spoon fed it as children and indeed allowed to buy as much as we want of it. The sweet taste buds used to only be graced occasionally, now we're all far to used to it.

I only drink water and ethnobotanical teas, occasional caffeine teas, except occasional alcohol. Dinners aren't restricted. No dairy, on soya milk. Fruit, beans, mixed nuts (no added shit), bread, rice, fish, no red meat and occasional fruit & dark chocolate.

im an omnivore. i eat a lot of chicken, oatmeal, peanut butter, nuts, oranges, bananas, tuna, salmon, milk, cheese, eggs, yogurt, etc.

I'm on an anti-sugar diet at the moment. I've read a lot of horrible things about it and it turns out it has so many negative effects and I'm disgusted at how we are spoon fed it as children and indeed allowed to buy as much as we want of it. The sweet taste buds used to only be graced occasionally, now we're all far to used to it.

I only drink water and ethnobotanical teas, occasional caffeine teas, except occasional alcohol. Dinners aren't restricted. No dairy, on soya milk. Fruit, beans, mixed nuts (no added shit), bread, rice, fish, no red meat and occasional fruit & dark chocolate.

Yeah, sugar really is a little devil. I don't eat any sugar either anymore - just yummy fruit. I used to be positively addicted to it - quitting it has been harder than stopping smoking.

I stopped drinking alcohol as well, though. That stuff sucks!

I'd watch the dairy intake. Loading up on pasteurized dairy is never a good thing. Not saying don't eat it at all, but I wouldn't center my diet around it like that. I suggest replacing some of that dairy with more avacado and coconut (milk or oil). Since I've discovered all that can be done with coconut milk. I don't really even miss dairy.

We just had coconut milk/garlic asparagus alfredo sauce pasta last night, it was yum! :)

But yeah, if you are eating 2/3 raw, I'd guess it's all that good raw food that is supporting your immune system better, alkalinizing your system and helping prevent illness.

Thanks for the advice. Makes sense that pasteurized dairy isn't exactly the healthiest food group -- after all, the ability of adults to digest lactose is very recent in the timescale of human evolution. We probably aren't genetically optimized for a dairy diet. And pasteurization just further degrades the nutritional value of milk, by chemically destroying the molecular structure that was originally intended to make baby cows grow big and strong. It's just so... creamy... and tasty!

On that note, the other day I looked on the back of my carton of Minute Maid orange juice -- apparently they pasteurize that shit! I was amazed. Does orange juice seriously need to be pasteurized? Like somehow an orange tree is going to have a fuggin' human-communicable disease? Wasn't even that good, either. It was yellow, not orange, and it tasted like it was squeezed from totally unripe oranges. I'm sticking with my Simply Orange from now on.

ANY bottled juice or drink you get is going to be pasteurized.
I just make my own juices.

Living food = the best way. Fresh, mmmm. :)

^ Hmm. Now I feel stupid. ;)

I agree with the last statement, and have been slowly trying to make my diet more and more reflect it. Had almost exclusively raw vegan food today, and tonight was the first in quite awhile that I haven't had to chew up one of those chalky anti-heartburn tablets.