• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Whats ur opinion about antidepressants (Lexapro etc) ? Can u recommend them?

If you have the kind of depression where fatigue is a problem i would recommend wellbutrin. It worked for me in the past when i had depression and it lacks the shitty side effects that ssri's and snri's have

SSRIs are really no better than placebo.

For people with "natural" depression or mild depression, it might help.

But I have treatment resistant depression & the SSRI class of drugs just made me projectile vomit, gave me hand tremors & made me feel like shit.

There's also next to no proof that people with depression have low serotonin either. Or that serotonin "cures" or fixes depression. It might make somebody feel a little better for a little while but eventually it'll stop working.

Doctors aren't doing catscans on people's brains to confirm they're low in serotonin, before prescribing them SSRIs. Nor are they doing imaging that shows that higher serotonin is making them any less depressed once they start taking it.

Yet doctors still hand them out like candy & think it'll "fix" people. Not only is there no evidence that depression is caused by low serotonin, there is a possibility that long term antidepressant use can actually lower your serotonin.

Last edited:
I think there's a difference between people who are down because of something they are going through, and the real "clinical depressed" who are feeling down because physical issues.
To treat someone who is depressed because his girlfriend just broke up with him with the same medication as someone who is clearly bipolar is like treating migraine patients with cold meds.

Psychiatrists don't seem to see a difference, or maybe they do but they don't have the time and motivation to actually listen to their patients (very few do).

Instead they prescribe meds that need to be taken over a long period of time, increasing dosage when it doesn't work, warning about how important it is to not just stop taking those meds but to taper down, ensuring the patient's dependence on both the medication and the doctor (who then just writes a new script but charges for a full session).

I think there's a difference between people who are down because of something they are going through, and the real "clinical depressed" who are feeling down because physical issues.
To treat someone who is depressed because his girlfriend just broke up with him with the same medication as someone who is clearly bipolar is like treating migraine patients with cold meds.

Psychiatrists don't seem to see a difference, or maybe they do but they don't have the time and motivation to actually listen to their patients (very few do).

Instead they prescribe meds that need to be taken over a long period of time, increasing dosage when it doesn't work, warning about how important it is to not just stop taking those meds but to taper down, ensuring the patient's dependence on both the medication and the doctor (who then just writes a new script but charges for a full session).
Totally agree. There is a difference.

Depression is normal & natural some times. And I often see people who get natural, normal depression for various reasons, who then go on to say they were "cured" by doing or taking whatever. And then they go around praising this thing & leading actual clinically depressed people into believing they can be "cured" or "fixed". When the person who "cured" their depression actually would have gotten over it eventually anyway. But a clinically depressed person is not going to be able to "cure" their depression at all, only treat it. It will be a chronic, on-going issue.

I don't think this distinction gets made clear enough whenever people discuss depression.

People think "oh the world sucks, so who wouldn't be depressed"... Well sure, but it's not the same thing as an actual depression disorder. A person with a depression disorder could win a million dollars & still be depressed.

I actually hate it that people don't bring up this distinction more. Cause then it means my chronic 30+ years of depression disorder is tantamount & grouped in with plain Jane's depression that she feels after her boyfriend breaks up with her.. which is just not the same thing. And then other ignorant people assume they have depression too when they really don't. It irks me.

I went to see a psychologist because I was dealing with two independent bad situations at the same time and wanted to talk to someone who didn't know any of the involved parties, or me. Like an objective opinion that would help me sort things out and find a way through the chaos that my life had suddenly become.

After a 30 minute wait for a 20 minute talk I was derived to a psychiatrist, who after a 45 minute wait and 15 minute talk prescribed me antidepressants (sertraline I guess it was, no idea because I ended up trying all of them).

I was hooked on that 20-minute psycho talk and the antidepressants for little over a year. By then the doc started to put me on quetiapine because I was getting worse instead of better.
After losing my new friends and picking enough fights with my neighbors that they started to avoid me because of how strung-up I was, I decided to quit that treatment.

One of the best decisions I ever made.

They can be helpful. Escitalopram worked for only a few months. Later i was on vortioxetine, wellbutrin and moclobemide. I felt i don't need them so i quit wellbutrin, than moclobemide and the last one i quit was vortioxetine. I lost weight when i quit them and i don't need it anymore. But doctor thought i won't be able to live vithout them.

Two friends that swear by Zoloft. Got them both out of big holes and seriously improved their quality of life and overall happiness.

Bit of libido issues only downside. But the positives outweigh that.

But both say exactly same. It's uncanny. Neither know each other.

I want to share another anecdote regarding psychiatry. When I was still in active addiction, I made an appointment with a new psychiatrist in the hopes of securing a Pregabalin (Lyrica) prescription. This guy was a nurse practitioner, not a full-fledged medical doctor. He wanted to put me on:

Lithium
Quetiapine (Seroquel)
Aripiprazole (Abilify)

This was all the result of a 15 minute conversation. We agreed that my issues were "general depression/anxiety", yet he wanted to put me on 3 different antipsychotic medications. When he said the word Lithium, he saw the look of horror and disgust on my face. His explanation was so lacking in confidence and persuasion it was insane. He said something like "well, there have been instances in which Lithium has improved depression". I have a lot of strong opinions about various prescribers, but this guy straight up terrified me. I can't imagine all of the actually normal people he has turned on to these ridiculous treatments.

These drugs do benefit some people. Some people genuinely need them. However, my situation was not one that would warrant the use of 3 antipsychotics, all started simultaneously. Good or bad, these drugs produce serious changes in a person's physical and mental life experience. They are not to be taken lightly as I feel this guy did.

I wanna change my life but i dont have energy or motivation.
Im not suicidal but im very very lazy and yeah.
for depression im taking 5htp which helps a lot but its also expensive and yeah.
i have experience with lexapro for few weeks but i stopped it coz it made me feel like a zombie: no sadnesss, no happiness and my dick was dead and even numb.
do you guys have any experience and good advise for me ?
I've got the dead numb dick from the SSRIs I tried in the past.

btw lithium is a mood stabilizer, and is not used as a first line of defense for psychosis.