• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Whats up with doctors always making people dependant

justtakethat

Bluelighter
I was thinking about how doctors usually know as much information regarding dependancy as anyone with internet access. But why do they always prescribe people to take drugs (usually opiates) daily or every 12 hours or something. Thats obviously how u build dependancy, how come its never as needed. Like give some morphine for pain and take it as needed without exceedinf 4 or 5 days to stay non dependant. Thats what they should prescribe. For example i have a relative (old obviously because they dont give more than fucking tylenol 3 or vicodin to anyonw under like 50) went to the doctors for anxiety and they found out they also had arthritis (without much pain) the doctor said to take 2mgs of xanax a day and vicodin 3 times a day. What the fuck is that?? Why not xanax and vicodin to be taken as needed. It also angers me because alot of ignornat people are listeninf to theyre doctors and taking the opiate every 12 hours only to find out they are dependant on opiates. Its kind of fucked up if u ask me

well doctors arent in a wrong by any means, they are helping you when you are in pain or any other issues
its up to the end user to control the intake

and since no doc can monitor you 24/7, they trust you to be responsible
now if youre not reasonable that's a completely diff topic

its like me as an alcoholic you can buy me a 12 pack of beer and tell me only drink 2....now if i drink the whole 12 pack whos fault is it? not your's thats for damn sure

Yeah, it's not all the fault of the doctors. However, alot of doctors do fail to adequetaly warn people of dependency risks when prescribing things such opiates and benzos.

With chronic pain that no other methods offer relief they kinda don't have much of another option although I do agree that the wording of the script should include PRN at the end and a lot of mine do even though they also include the hourly increments. I definitely agree with the above post about downplaying the dependency factor as well as withdrawals upon discontinuation that a lot of doctors do. Most of the docs I've seen neglect to mention that, especially the withdrawal part which ain't right. A patient should know what they're getting into.

Yeah, it's not all the fault of the doctors. However, alot of doctors do fail to adequetaly warn people of dependency risks when prescribing things such opiates and benzos.
It's also right there on the warning info that comes with the bag from the pharmacy.
I read all my warning labels, even for meds I take regularly.

It is on the fine print, however I believe the prescribing doctor has taken an oath "to do no harm" and they should be describing that dependency can be harmful.

well doctors arent in a wrong by any means, they are helping you when you are in pain or any other issues
its up to the end user to control the intake

and since no doc can monitor you 24/7, they trust you to be responsible
now if youre not reasonable that's a completely diff topic

its like me as an alcoholic you can buy me a 12 pack of beer and tell me only drink 2....now if i drink the whole 12 pack whos fault is it? not your's thats for damn sure
That would he true if they prescribed it as needed. But they usually prescribe opiates to take daily. And people ignorantly do so

Guess every dr is different. I work for two and they are total hard asses about prescribing pain meds. We have to with some of our surgeries but he certainly doesn't give a lot or give refills, when a woman is having her breast removed due to cancer, she should not be in pain! The pharmacy provides details on every prescription, however most people dont read it. Edit to add: you can always tell who is trying to pull fast one and get more pills. Pts are so obvious when they try to act llike its no big deal but could use a refill or would like to try a different one bc the script they just filled doesn't agree with them!

Patients do have ultimate responsibility for their own health - doctors aren't solely responsible in these matters.
But i'm really not sure how seriously to take this post, suggesting that docs through scripts for Rx pain meds around liberally.
Not where i'm from, they don't - and i'd be surprised if it happens anywhere these days.
But why do they always prescribe people to take drugs (usually opiates) daily or every 12 hours or something. Thats obviously how u build dependancy, how come its never as needed. Like give some morphine for pain and take it as needed without exceedinf 4 or 5 days to stay non dependant. Thats what they should prescribe.
What do you think they should prescribe to someone in pain?

There is considered to be a difference in the addictive potential of opioid analgesics when prescribed for pain, and when taken for other reasons (ie recreationally or for self medication of more psychological ailments).

While physical dependence will occur if you take painkillers as directed for legtimate pain, this is not medically insurmountable, in terms of managing and dealing with that physical dependance. Patients can be tapered off the drugs, and prescribed other drugs to assist with the physical symptoms of withdrawal.

As these patients are not using in the same way illicit drug addicts tend to - or for the same reasons - the prospect of relapse or prolonged post-acute withdrawal symptoms are significantly reduced, so by and large, i dont think the problem is anywhere near as bad as you make it out to be.

Diverted medications, and people "doctor shopping" are another story - but as there are so many safeguards in place to prevent misuse of prescription medications (often to the detriment of people who really need them) - this shouldn't be blamed on prescribers.

Maybe you'll need serious pain relief some day, and you will realise that narcotic painkillers are used for good reason.
They're not perfect - but try telling someone who has undergone major surgery or a serius accident that they need to take a break from their pain relief every 4 or 5 days.

An opiate naive individual would not even develop a habit in 4 or 5 days, so i think - in this instance, at least - the best advice is to listen to your doctor's advice and take medications as prescribed.

Last edited:
Definitely not throwing around pain scripts at the drop of a hat around here (SoCal). You'd be much more likely to get Ibuprofen 800s, Naproxen, or maybe Tramadol but GPs and ER docs definitely aren't eager to prescribe narcotics. Even my PM doc who I have a long standing relationship with is really strict. OP, maybe in your area it's different. Just out of curiosity are you coming from an outsider looking in standpoint or do you have personal experience with this. Just curious.

EDIT: I reread your OP and it answered the whole perspective question I posed. Shame on me for not noticing lol. Sounds like your relative went to a pretty liberal doc. Around these parts docs are pretty strict.

Last edited: