• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

What's the most important thing in the world?

MyDoorsAreOpen

Bluelight Crew
Title says it all. I'm going to leave this one wide open, no intro or explanation. I want to see what everyone says to this off the top of their heads.

I would say nothing is really ultimately important. I mean, something can feel important to me but that is very subjective. And you can pick that apart and ask who I even am in the first place.

I think we just create meaning as we go along and fool ourselves into thinking that any experience means anything beyond the experience itself.

There's nothing inherently important about human life over other life forms. It may be our instinct to survive, but the rest of the planet would probably be happier if we ceased to exist and stopped butchering it. And the majority of species do go extinct (99.9% over time?). Maybe we shouldn't be so confident, eh? ;)

So yeah I'll stick with that. :)

I'm going to be cheesy and say Love.
Whether it is the love for an emotion, a person, a hobby, or anything.
Life is worthless without love.

The future. Which is why we should strive to achieve long term sustainable growth, without destroying our environment for short term profits.

...People being allowed to enjoy being human. This means utilitarian actions on the level of government to preserve the most happiness possible for the most people possible.

I'm going to say consciousness, and it's the most important thing in the universe. Without it, the universe would be unaware of itself and no one would be having this discussion.

I think the most important thing in the world is not being in this world or of it , lol.

The future. ...long term sustainable growth, without destroying our environment for short term profits.

The green girl in me agrees with this indefinitely. Unless someone can guarantee that future humans won't be just as bigoted, greedy, lazy, spiteful, and ignorant as humans have always been..unless we all agree on what our goal is as a species (physical fitness, health, good genes, etc whathaveyou) I'd just say action is the most important thing in the world.
We're really good at sitting around and clustering thoughts but not putting them into action. Live life to the fullest, try to save the world, or just find someone to love.

As Legerity said, nothing is really important by itself, it is we who give the value to everything.

But for me, I have to say: nothing would be important for me if I wasn't alive and unhappy. So, for me, the most important things are my life by itself (and things that make it possible) and my happiness as well as the things that make me happy.

Last edited:
Whatever "thing" a person declares as most important depends on the context or perceptual base they operate under in any given moment. Because abstractions such as "importance" and "thing" are humanly created, whatever defines them constantly changes in the individual mind. The Buddhist concept of anicca is very relevant. Whatever popularly classifies as collectively important is largely defined by ideologies propagated by a leading group or individual.

Perhaps what defines importance is whatever governs behavior.

At an instinctual/biological level, food remains the primary concern for an animal. I could argue that survival is the most important thing for an animal, but doubt animals are thinking "survive" in their heads. They see what they want, externally, and go for it.

216356_1950737337571_1516762134_2088468_4852248_n.jpg

he changed the game entirely