• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

What's The Most Dangerous Drug In The World?

The drug which has been given the nickname 'Krokodil' is an extremely impure version of the semi-synthetic Opioid known as Desomorphine synthesized from Codeine combined with a mixture of various chemicals (which themselves are impure to begin with).

The largest user base happens to be in Russia, which, is also facing an enormous Diacetylmorphine (Heroin) epidemic.

Typically, people who end up turning to Krokodil are Heroin addicts who can no longer afford their habit. Tragically, their life expectancy hovers around 2 to 3 years once they resort to the homemade drug.

Even more tragic however, is the fact that in Russia, Opioid Maintenance Treatment is completely illegal, meaning that there are no Methadone and/or Buprenorphine Clinics available to these poor individuals. And I'm willing to wager my left testicle that, if MMT and/or BMT would be available to them, that many (if not the majority) of them would surely opt for that rather than witness their limbs rotting away as if they're suffering from a mutated form of Necrotizing Fasciitis.

The Russian government claims that there is no empirical evidence that MMT is an effective and efficient method of aiding their Opioid-addicted constituents towards some semblance of productive normality, which is frankly infuriating to behold after the needless Krokodil epidemic which is killing countless Russian men and women.

Krokodil indeed may be numero uno when comparing its acute and long term health risks with those of other common recreational drugs, however, I think it's vitally important to consider the argument that this insidious substance would not have contributed anywhere near the amount of deaths in the past decade if only Putin and his fellow gangster-duma-comrades would swallow their collective, vodka-stenched pride and, for the sake of far too many to count, allow MMT and/or BMT clinics to open across the Russian motherland.

==============================================

Also, if there is indeed such thing as a "gateway drug," I strongly contend that it is not THC/Cannabis/Hashish, but rather Ethanol/Ethyl Alcohol/Booze.

Furthermore, Methamphetamine may (among other things) be especially toxic to a consumer's brain, which is precisely the reason why I question its status as a Schedule II substance (and Cocaine as well for that matter).

Do you guys like my equal sign-dotted lines? I think they're incredibly sexy. You stay classy San Francisco.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: Where would PCP be on Sir Nutt's list? And what of Jenkem? I hear that the Hydrogen Sulfide it oozes outwards lowers a user's blood pressure, and Peter Hitchens ought to know.

When Russia annexed Crimea they made methadone illegal in that territory (MMT had previously been legal under the Ukrainian gov't)

I remember reading that and feeling sorry for anyone on methadone in Crimea :(

When Russia annexed Crimea they made methadone illegal in that territory (MMT had previously been legal under the Ukrainian gov't)

I remember reading that and feeling sorry for anyone on methadone in Crimea :(

Yeah I recall reading about it also and feeling powerless to help. And as someone who is currently on MMT, I then tried to imagine how I would react if one random day I'd be on my way to my clinic's entrance only to find it completely barren and with a sign on the door notifying us patients that it's permanently shut down because it's illegal (meaning that we're all royally fucked, just like that).

Na zdorovie Comrade Putin; ye cruel ex-KGB ding dong. You could at least have left the clinics alone ya shirtless dork.

I've been around regular users of all kinds of drugs for around 20 years. I've been exposed to far more drug-induced mental illness and "anti social behaviour" from cannabis smokers than methamphetamine users. I wouldn't say either of them are inherently "more harmful" than the other - there's a lot of stuff that affects levels of harm around enabling/marginalising environments, the type of individuals who go for each kind of drug, stigma, support when things goes wrong, etc.

^ that is pretty weird. I'm struggling to think of anything I've seen weed smokers get up to which rivals what I've seen tweakers get up to... (as a direct result of cannabis use, there are of course many terrible people who also happen to smoke weed, just because of how common it is as a recreational illicit drug compared to many of the others)

^ that is pretty weird. I'm struggling to think of anything I've seen weed smokers get up to which rivals what I've seen tweakers get up to... (as a direct result of cannabis use, there are of course many terrible people who also happen to smoke weed, just because of how common it is as a recreational illicit drug compared to many of the others)

Which is why it's a bad idea to make drug policy based on anecdotal evidence. :) Everyone has different experiences. Most long term drug users have seen someone flip their shit on something or another - the drug/s in question seem to depend on a lot of different factors. I've personally seen very little violence etc from methamphetamine users and, while I recognise that other people have, I do think there's a bit of selection bias in the popular narratives of how common it is.

That said, I have no idea how things would have panned out if the violent/psychotic weed users I've encountered had been smoking meth instead. Maybe they would have had the same response? Who knows?

Yeah high THC Cannabis can be really bad for people prone to schizophrenia, also for other mental illnesses but probably less so. I'm pretty sure meth can make anyone psychotic if abused enough.

edit: to add to this... CBD ish compounds have antipsychotics... a lot of the new high THC weed has a drastically higher THC percent and a slightly lower amount of CBD ish compounds which is why it's so much worse for mental illness. There is enough scientific evidence of this.

I have had worst trips with cannabis, not LSD. I guess I was a little schizophrenic for a couple of hours. THC.

I'm pretty sure meth can make anyone psychotic if abused enough.

Nah, that's not how brains work. Some people are really vulnerable to psychosis-inducing agents or sleep deprivation, other people aren't. Some people can use daily for years, or regularly go on week long benders, without ever experiencing mental ill-health. If methamphetamine wasn't criminalised and stigmatised, there could probably be some really interesting research done on what makes some people more resilient around drug induced psychosis than others.

With the sheer numbers of people who regularly use meth (1-2% of the Australian population uses it more frequently than monthly), if it made everyone psychotic, the hospital system wouldn't have capacity to treat anyone other than people experiencing meth psychosis. There'd be psychotic tweakers roaming the streets and blocking the traffic in every major city!

^ Perhaps Meth is among the cleaner stimulants of these days with so much cut shitty drugs all around.

Like Coke which is now quite 'trashy' nowadays if you compare to how it was 20-30 years ago IMO.

I've been around regular users of all kinds of drugs for around 20 years. I've been exposed to far more drug-induced mental illness and "anti social behaviour" from cannabis smokers than methamphetamine users. I wouldn't say either of them are inherently "more harmful" than the other - there's a lot of stuff that affects levels of harm around enabling/marginalising environments, the type of individuals who go for each kind of drug, stigma, support when things goes wrong, etc.

At least we can all agree on the fact that no drug is 100% risk free, right? I mean, when it comes to certainty, nothing in this world we live in can equal 100%. We'd have to reside in a flawless utopia for such a thing to be possible.

At least we can all agree on the fact that no drug is 100% risk free, right? I mean, when it comes to certainty, nothing in this world we live in can equal 100%. We'd have to reside in a flawless utopia for such a thing to be possible.

Absolutely -- that's probably why pharmaceuticals meds costs are going up to the roof and becoming infamous. Like I said another day, in Miami some of most reputable clinics had armed securities all around the facility. People coming in and out with cash in their hands and feeling protected. Well that must been added up to the costs.

It depends. If you like to do lots of meth, yeah, I guess.

Tweakers annoy the shit out of me, though. I can't think of any other kind of substance abuser I find more irritating, except maybe for drunks.

There was a recent criminal case I saw here recently on local news, involving the sentencing of a couple tweakers. A male and female tweaker. They'd been staying in a hotel in the local area, and the woman + another male had been smoking crystal meth and fucking. When her partner came back to the room, the woman said that the man she'd be having consensual sex with had been raping her, at which point she and her partner strangled him to death. Just a completely pointless and stupid murder on all levels but completely believable behavior when you consider the crowd who uses around here.

It depends. If you like to do lots of meth, yeah, I guess.

Tweakers annoy the shit out of me, though. I can't think of any other kind of substance abuser I find more irritating, except maybe for drunks.

Indeed, I feel the same - although I had not been the best example, at times.

A woman in CFL has been sentenced to prison because she burned down the oldest tree in the area. They had named the tree "The Senator". She was high on meth.

She however, was not dangerous, just stupid.

Nah, that's not how brains work. Some people are really vulnerable to psychosis-inducing agents or sleep deprivation, other people aren't. Some people can use daily for years, or regularly go on week long benders, without ever experiencing mental ill-health. If methamphetamine wasn't criminalised and stigmatised, there could probably be some really interesting research done on what makes some people more resilient around drug induced psychosis than others.

With the sheer numbers of people who regularly use meth (1-2% of the Australian population uses it more frequently than monthly), if it made everyone psychotic, the hospital system wouldn't have capacity to treat anyone other than people experiencing meth psychosis. There'd be psychotic tweakers roaming the streets and blocking the traffic in every major city!

nah. anyone who is up for days without sleep has the ability to become psychotic. predisposition or no. meth can induce psychosis or pre-psychosis in pretty much any heavy user, ive been around a bunch. There is such a thing as methamphetamine induced schizophrenia to boot.