Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I’m going to watch some Italian horror movies, the Gates of Hell Trilogy.

Hey John. Those are Lucio Fulci movies, right?

I downloaded The New Ripper because I've never seen it. I liked the synopsis. A thousand years ago I watch The House By The Cemetery.

PS. I love 60s-80s horror movies. :love:

One of the best comedies I've seen in years. It's hilarious and also based on events that are so unbelievable you'll have a hard time believing they are true, but they are!

Amazing cast. Super funny. 8/10.

Ewan McGregor, Clooney, Jeff bridges, Kevin spacey and more.

btw, the trailer DOES NOT do it justice on how funny it is!

One of the best comedies I've seen in years. It's hilarious and also based on events that are so unbelievable you'll have a hard time believing they are true, but they are!

+1
One of the most underrated comedies of the 2000s, along Burn After Reading or Walk Hard,

An American Pickle (2020)

Seth Rogen derp de derp. Derp de derpity derpy derp. Until one day, the derpa derpa derpaderp. Derp de derp. Da teedily dumb. From the creators of Der, and Tum Ta Tittaly Tum Ta Too, Seth Rogen is Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb.

Rogen plays Herschel Greenbaum, a man who is preserved in pickle brine for a hundred years only to wake up in modern Brooklyn. Rogen also plays Ben Greenbaum, his identical great grandson. Together, they derp de derpity derpy derp.

The film is actually (somehow) way stupider than the plot makes it sound. It is astonishingly stupid. Much stupider than any film Adam Sandler has ever made. Not exaggerating.

I thought I had seen it all. The stupidity of this film actually managed to amaze me. Seth Rogen really needs to lay off the drugs for a while. Derp.

Hey John. Those are Lucio Fulci movies, right?

I downloaded The New Ripper because I've never seen it. I liked the synopsis. A thousand years ago I watch The House By The Cemetery.

PS. I love 60s-80s horror movies. :love:
Yes they are my friend, sorry I just saw your post.

that’s my favorite years fir horror 60’s through 80’s.

Larry Hooper: Lt. Colonel Django used funds from the project's black budget to procure prostitutes.

Bill Django: That's a lie!

Larry Hooper: And, to get drugs for himself and his men.

Bill Django: That... well, the hooker thing is definitely a lie.

Great movie. Overall just really good. Best part is it's based on the memoirs of the real guy. 8.5/10

I forgot there was a remake in the works. I still love the earlier one (1973) with Dustin Hoffman and Steve McQueen. It's in my top 10 for sure. I'll have to give this a look as well.

067l20895-bj9k7.jpg

Cannibal Ferox (A.K.A Make Them Die Slowly) (1981) - 4.5 Stars - This review is for the Uncut version which I have finally found. Even most versions of this that claim to be "Uncut" are not. The fully uncut version is 93 minutes and the vast majority of versions - even when they claim to be uncut - are 88-89 minutes. The version I just watched is 93 minutes but does have two very brief cuts to animal cruelty scenes. The scene near the start where a muskrat is slowly squeezed to death by an anaconda is cut (and replaced with a badly-cut-in overhead version of the jungle with no audio) as is the scene where Peter tortures an animal (I think it was a baby wild boar but may have also been a muskrat) was cut out. Weirdly, a very graphic scene where a giant turtle is cut apart and tortured alive by natives (it's as bad as a similar scene in Cannibal Holocaust) was left in uncut as was a scene where a monkey is killed by a tiger.
Overall, Cannibal Ferox is definitely one of the better cannibal movies of the 70's and early 80's and is probably my second favourite after Cannibal Holocaust. The gore scenes don't have as much realism as Cannibal Holocaust but they are still well done compared to most movies in the sub-genre and there are some really beautiful scenes of the Amazon
One thing I'd ask: please watch, stream or download this illegally if you are going to watch it. Hear me out: the movie contains REAL animal torture and cruelty: do you REALLY want some of your money going to the people who did that?

Best Quotes:

Pre-Open Credits Disclaimer: The following feature is one of the most violent films ever made. There are at least two dozen scenes of barbaric torture and sadistic cruelty graphically shown. If the presentation of disgusting and repulsive subject matter upsets you, please do not view this film.

Rudy: There's something I can't figure out...
Gloria: What's that?
Rudy: I don't know

The Belko Experiment (2016)

Movie begins with a bunch of Americans working in an office building in Bogata, Colombia. Film opens with workers arriving in the morning, and some new security or police force checking IDs and turning away the locals. We start our work day, and quickly discover the building has been sealed from the outside and a voice is dictating terms to those trapped inside. First demand is that they kill 30 of their peers within a certain time limit. The voice then leaves it to the trapped personnel to sort out who and how, otherwise the voice will randomly kill 60 of them. There is promise of release for the survivor at the end...but in the meantime we have many recognizable faces, but no real star power, as what could be a psychological horror film unfolds. Not to spoil it, but it sums up as a decent blood splatter, a little ok on the execution of the premise, and an ok wrap up at the end to explain the exercise (and hint at a sequel). That said, still pretty meh. 6.5/10.

Building on that, we transition to

Mayhem (2017)

Cover art is of an Asian man caught in what appears to be a similar situation. Our lead actor Derek Cho is in fact American as is everyone in the film, so I can't say there's any language or regional flavor to the film, it is straight up second rate horror. The premise is a virus is spreading around the globe (sound familiar? Prescient, at least). It seems someone last year had caught the virus which turns one eye red and unleashes all inhibitions leading to acting out on all violent, sexual, and otherwise socially frowned upon activities. The lawyer in a mega-corp of lawyers who used this virus as an insanity plea to get the guy off is none other than our lead, Derek. For this film, he goes to work at his mid-level job for the day and begins by squaring off with some semi-hot blond who the corp is foreclosing on. He wraps that up, heads to his office to find one of the higher, but not top tier, lawyers is setting him up to take the fall for some botched big client account they have (he had nothing to do with it). As blond is leaving, the building is sealed and riot forces arrive outside to quarntine the building as virus detectors have identified it is in there, medical teams are pumping in a fix, but it will be many hours. During the many hours, we get another round of great blood splatter office craziness, but this time we get to follow Derek and the Blonde as they team up to find keys and work their way to the head honcho. The goal is for Derek to clear his name, and the exec to sign off on the eviction allowing Blonde to keep her home. Along the way, we actually get several good humor moments, decent narrative from Derek, and some cool revenge scenes overall. While the virus thing rings too close to home for 2020, the film overall reflects B-level actors and execution, but more in the B+ to A- range, well worth the time on this one if you are into this kinda stuff. 7.5/10

Hansel and Gretel (2020)

You know the old story. Here's how this is different, pacing is slower than slow. Premise is the witch they encounter isn't actually the one in the story per se, but her mother. Gretel is a mid-teen, her brother is about 10. The witch understands Gretel has a similar power and seeks to develop it, meanwhile Gretel is figuring out this is a witch while trying to protect her brother. There, I ruined it, you can thank me later. Quality of film and soundtrack are decent, acting is decent, writing is crap. Do not waste your time. Not horror, not blood, not much of anything really but a lost 90min. 3/10.

The Belko Experiment (2016)

Movie begins with a bunch of Americans working in an office building in Bogata, Colombia. Film opens with workers arriving in the morning, and some new security or police force checking IDs and turning away the locals. We start our work day, and quickly discover the building has been sealed from the outside and a voice is dictating terms to those trapped inside. First demand is that they kill 30 of their peers within a certain time limit. The voice then leaves it to the trapped personnel to sort out who and how, otherwise the voice will randomly kill 60 of them. There is promise of release for the survivor at the end...but in the meantime we have many recognizable faces, but no real star power, as what could be a psychological horror film unfolds. Not to spoil it, but it sums up as a decent blood splatter, a little ok on the execution of the premise, and an ok wrap up at the end to explain the exercise (and hint at a sequel). That said, still pretty meh. 6.5/10.

Building on that, we transition to

Mayhem (2017)

Cover art is of an Asian man caught in what appears to be a similar situation. Our lead actor Derek Cho is in fact American as is everyone in the film, so I can't say there's any language or regional flavor to the film, it is straight up second rate horror. The premise is a virus is spreading around the globe (sound familiar? Prescient, at least). It seems someone last year had caught the virus which turns one eye red and unleashes all inhibitions leading to acting out on all violent, sexual, and otherwise socially frowned upon activities. The lawyer in a mega-corp of lawyers who used this virus as an insanity plea to get the guy off is none other than our lead, Derek. For this film, he goes to work at his mid-level job for the day and begins by squaring off with some semi-hot blond who the corp is foreclosing on. He wraps that up, heads to his office to find one of the higher, but not top tier, lawyers is setting him up to take the fall for some botched big client account they have (he had nothing to do with it). As blond is leaving, the building is sealed and riot forces arrive outside to quarntine the building as virus detectors have identified it is in there, medical teams are pumping in a fix, but it will be many hours. During the many hours, we get another round of great blood splatter office craziness, but this time we get to follow Derek and the Blonde as they team up to find keys and work their way to the head honcho. The goal is for Derek to clear his name, and the exec to sign off on the eviction allowing Blonde to keep her home. Along the way, we actually get several good humor moments, decent narrative from Derek, and some cool revenge scenes overall. While the virus thing rings too close to home for 2020, the film overall reflects B-level actors and execution, but more in the B+ to A- range, well worth the time on this one if you are into this kinda stuff. 7.5/10

The Belko Experiment sounds a bit like Battle Royale relocated to an office building and with adults?

Status
Not open for further replies.