Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carts of Darkness

Murray Siple's feature-length documentary follows a group of homeless men who have combined bottle picking with the extreme sport of racing shopping carts down the steep hills of North Vancouver. This subculture depicts street life as much more than the stereotypes portrayed in mainstream media. The film takes a deep look into the lives of the men who race carts, the adversity they face and the appeal of cart racing despite the risk. Shot in high-definition and featuring tracks from Black Mountain, Ladyhawk, Vetiver, Bison, and Alan Boyd of Little Sparta.

A Clockwork Orange

It's the movie. The complete film. I've seen it a dozen times at least, but on Friday when I watched it peaking on 750ug AL-LAD I realized it's the best damn film of all time. Absolutely every scene is packed full of symbolism, irony, commentary... Dear God man, if you haven't seen it, go do it. It's quite vulgar and full of violence and nudity, and well, that's the idea. Those afraid of watching rape should shy away. But you'll be missing out...

It's a complete commentary on humanity and society. So many freakin' layers. Amazing soundtrack. No film has ever left such an impression on me. Blade Runner is a close second, being the Penultimate film in my opinion.

10/10

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003, Peter Weir)

A film that had 10 Oscar nominations and now almost nobody remembers.
I love adventure and ship movies and this one does not disappoint me. Excellent photography and soundtrack. The level of details and special effects are impressive.
In principle, this movie was going to be part of a trilogy but it ended up being a box office flop so we were left wanting to watch it.

"Annihilation".
I know the movie wasn't particularly well reviewed, but its easily my favorite movie. I can watch it over and over and notice new things every time I do. The visual effects are amazing, especially the more subtle effects, like how the light is altered in the shimmer. If you like trippy sci-fi, you owe it to yourself to see it!!!

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003, Peter Weir)

A film that had 10 Oscar nominations and now almost nobody remembers.
I love adventure and ship movies and this one does not disappoint me. Excellent photography and soundtrack. The level of details and special effects are impressive.
In principle, this movie was going to be part of a trilogy but it ended up being a box office flop so we were left wanting to watch it.
I have it on Blu-ray mate, gone but not forgotten :) but of course, I’m a film dweeb... and my best friend is a navy officer so he’s really into naval history so it stands to reason that I’ve seen a lot of period pieces haha

I remember seeing that movie in theaters even. It’s a cut above your average period piece. The amount of attention to detail is simply stunning.

I watched "Guns Akimbo" with Daniel Radcliffe. It was.... alright. Not bad if you just want a brain dead shoot 'em up to watch. I also watched "Jo Jo Rabbit" which I think was actually brilliantly done and definitely worth seeing - comedy, tragedy, satire - has it all :)

The Sea Wolf starring Edward G. Robinson. Based on the novel by Jack London. Directed by Michael Curtiz. Brutality reigns on the Pacific Ocean in this 1941 drama about a group of thugs and drunks who are forced to fight for their lives after their captain lies to them about their job and their course aboard The Ghost, a damned vessel. John Garfield and Ida Lupino find themselves in ill-fated roles while those around them conspire against the man who jeopardized their lives. Barry Fitzgerald steals several scenes with an ominous laugh.

Creep 3/5

It was advertised as a horror which it wasnt. Though the end end was maybe horror-y it was exactly what I excepted.
I still think that the handheld pov could hold some treasures even though this film wasnt it.

I watched the new Sonic film yesterday. I was drunk and so I enjoyed it, I mean, how much can you really do with a fucking Sonic movie? 3/5. Watch it as background shit or just be really really stoned.

Vivre Sa Vie is a fun watch. In the first scene, I liked the way Coutard put the focus on the back of the actress' head while an out of focus mirror reflects Nana's face from behind the counter where she sits. A philosophical discussion comes in rather late and is confined to one scene that reveals how naive Nana is, giving a stark, foreseeable outcome to her career in the near future. Nana cries when she sees Joan of Arc's confrontation with death at the cinema but she does not tell anyone about her emotional life. The things she keeps private work against her in the end. But there are other factors working against her. The abruptness of the storytelling does not permit the viewer to get very wound up in Nana's emotional woe. Her job does not appear to satisfy her but it is the reason why many critical actions in the film occur. Not only is the viewer distant from Nana, but Nana is also disconnected from her life. Her youthful charm is what causes the viewer to care for her, which says something about modern human attraction.

I must be getting soft cause hostiles was too tragic for my friday evening and I changed it off. Legit brutal and maybe the most depressing 1/3 of a film Ive seen.

MV5BOWRhYWFkMDEtNTFjZC00OWJkLWJmMWQtNzI2OWRjZjVjOGYyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzQwMTY2Nzk@._V1_.jpg

I just saw it last night, beautiful old-school movie.

Release date : 6 March 2020

Current note on iMDB : 6/5. The last note will probably be a 7,2 - 7,5.

My note is : 8.

Hugo

This film was chock full of great actors who put out decent performances; yet overall as a film it felt longer than 2 hours and seemed to drag. Somehow it won 5 frickin Oscars so I have to wonder how shit was film the year it came out? Obviously the Academy is bullshit anyways but I still like viewing Oscar vote faves to try and see why shitty movies win out at the Academy Awards *cough English Patient cough*.

I failed to see why Hugo won 5 Oscars though. Sasha Baron Cohen was the best part of the film and somehow it was the most serious role I've ever seen him in. Jude Law and Christopher Lee got like 5 minutes of screen time.

Overall, as a kids film, it was good. Definitely not your average childrens' film, and most definitely deviates from everything else I've seen by Martin Scorsese. But... It was so, so boooooorrrrring past the first half hour. At first I was drawn in by the mystery of the plot, but it quickly turned into cliches and boredom.

6/10

My sig in this forum should be 'I watch crap'.

Go Karts (2020) <Netflix>

Desperate for something recent, picked this on Netflix last night. It's an Aussie made film, so if that offends you, or you don't like subtitles, consider yourself warned. Film begins with mom and son moving to a new town, kid is invited to a local's birthday party where his mom encourages him to make new friends. He goes to the go kart track, has a run in with a tall blond bully who is the area's top racer and his two sidekicks that don't get any lines, but one has been practicing his evil laugh so he gets to do that throughout the film. Also, he meets a love interest, as best it can be for kids in the 13-15 age group. Of course, his crush is the sister of the bully, and the neglected child of the rich family as dad runs a pro racing team, outfits his son with the best gear and vehicle, and the daughter pushes brooms lamenting how she could make the go kart faster and is summarily dismissed. Our hero returns to the beat down track where the owner, a retired ex-racer, gets talked into letting him work in trade for driving time as the kid has no money. First job, water the track with a back-pack pump tank. Second job, paint the shed with a brush on top of your head. Third job, wash all the karts but use your feet. Do you see where this is going? If not, he even makes mention of Mr. Miyagi as he'd doing the painting. Why am I giving all this spoiler detail? Because if you've seen Karate Kid, you've seen this without the accent. The writers have to be just out of high school with how blatantly this is copied. Swap go karts for karate, accents, and add in a side comedy-romance storyline for the single mom and you're there!

Teen kids film, plot you already know. No skin, a little comedy, and absolutely not worth your time. I can't say it's a bad movie, it's actually done fairly well with the acting, directing, etc. It's not bad, it just has nothing to offer to make it 'good'. 4/10.

• Haha
Reactions: CFC
The Wicker Man (1973)

The original, staring Christopher Lee who is almost so young I didn't recognize him, as the leader of a cult in essence. Weird periods of musical-ness, yet those moments were some of the more intriguing in the film. Weird sexual imagery and references throughout. Overall just strange, it reminded me a lot of Midsommer, only, I'd be saying Midsommer reminded me of this film had I seen it prior.

Worth a watch imo. Classic 70s horror.

7.5/10

Status
Not open for further replies.