• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

whats the deal with phenobarbital

manofsubstance

Greenlighter
A friend of mine recently acquired a load phenobarbitone and doesnt really know what to do with it or if there is even a recreational use for it. I know it used to be popular many years ago but havnt heard anything of it for a long time. does anyone out there know what the attraction is?

your friend just happened to acquire the only barbiturate which is still commonly used and probably the only one with very low recreational value.

stay away. i have tons of it laying around and i haven't touched it in years. it's not fun, it stays working for far too long, and it interferes with the way many other drugs are metabolized.

If you like the feeling of being tranq'd out (similar to benzos with more of an alcohol feeling.. but without the negative consequences of alcohol) than barbiturates are right for you!

Ps: easy to OD on.

I've been put on non-recreational doses of pheno during a couple in-patient detoxes. Pentobarbital, on the other hand, had me completely gone/blacked-out... way more so than with alcohol, benzos, etc. I crashed my car and had amnesia for almost 2 days. It should be noted I took a couple dozen pills from a prescription my grandmother got in 1993 (she died in 1994). Pento is basically just a short acting version of pheno. So proceed with caution.

Yeah there was a pharmacy that I used to go to in Viet Nam that would give me Phenobarbital. Red pills - 100mg IIRC.... I had a fair Benzo tolerance so I'd need a few and they worked ok but they would make me look "out of it".

No I didn't find them a lot of fun either, and they do stay in your system for a long time. I gave a few to my mate and he was space cadet for a couple of Days. =D

They work well for kicking opiates. I was able to sleep for over 72 hours. Straight through the worst part of the wd

For the sake of harm reduction I'd advise you not to take them.
As it's been mentioned, it's so easy to overdose on barbiturates. They're just the old, unsafe (thus maybe more recreational) version of benzos.
For me, it's benzos for days... %)
Dr. Opium

Stay away from it.

Too much CNS with that drug, and risky for OD.

Barbituates are used with the DWD act, so that should tell you something there.

Sleeping for 72 hours! :eek:

You must have felt awful when you woke up?

Well it wasn't completely straight, the nurse would wake me up to redose

But no I woke up very fuzzy headed, like my brain was wrapped in cotton. Dizzy and disoriented. But not dopesick. And the disorientation wore off in about 24-36 hours

OT: it wasn't very fun. Or recreational. I was very out of it. But not in a fun way

thanks guys. I gave the barbs a test run and just ended up dosile and with a splitting headache.in the bin:\

Well it wasn't completely straight, the nurse would wake me up to redose

But no I woke up very fuzzy headed, like my brain was wrapped in cotton. Dizzy and disoriented. But not dopesick. And the disorientation wore off in about 24-36 hours

OT: it wasn't very fun. Or recreational. I was very out of it. But not in a fun way
I'm sorry. I didn't realise you were in a medical setting. I thought you took them at home unsupervised.

For the sake of harm reduction I'd advise you not to take them.
As it's been mentioned, it's so easy to overdose on barbiturates. They're just the old, unsafe (thus maybe more recreational) version of benzos.

Not really. Similar to almost any other substances, the probability of experiencing an overdose whilst using barbiturates can be reduced to an essentially insignificant level if one uses the drug intelligently. An overdose is not something caused by a drug, per se, but rather the irresponsible, profligate, uncircumspect, impetuous, nescient, or generally reckless use of a drug.

Personally, I have used multifarious species of drug within the barbiturates family. My experience with them spans 5+ years. I have never overdosed even once from their use. I don't believe this is coincidental, and I attribute it to several preliminary procedures and preventive measures I punctiliously and customarily follow (to wit: educating myself on the specific drug's dose and other pharmacological features; using the drug in isolation or without any other CNS depressants in my system; having quick access to a sufficient quantity of an antidote for a barbiturate OD (in the improbable event that an OD still occurs) such as bemegride/methetharimide; minimizing drug redoses; etc).

Harm reduction does not begin and end at the decision to use a given drug. And just saying no to the use of a drug is never the only option to reduce or prevent one from sustaining or causing damage to oneself from the use of that drug.

your friend just happened to acquire the only barbiturate which is still commonly used and probably the only one with very low recreational value.

stay away. i have tons of it laying around and i haven't touched it in years. it's not fun, it stays working for far too long, and it interferes with the way many other drugs are metabolized.

WORD...

Between rec. dose, and OD dose, not much wiggle room... only barb still on the market here for epilepsy... i got 100mg once, got me a good night's sleep in a jail cell, on the metal floor, and when i was interrogated after i was chilled out, but fromwhat i have read, others first hand experiences, it's pretty much the least rec. barb. apart from maybe butalbital, dunno, never tried that one... The hypnotic effect tolerance shoots up quick, so not ideal as a "sleep aid". Relatively addictive psychologically though if you're a downer "fan", and physically eventually, EXTREMELY dangerous combined ith other CNS depressants especially alcohol, GHB etc.

HR... stay away...

If you want to try and are going to do it for x or y reason anyway, do your research, dosage/your weight, no other CNS depressants etc.

Stay safe brother... ;)

Not really. Similar to almost any other substances, the probability of experiencing an overdose whilst using barbiturates can be reduced to an essentially insignificant level if one uses the drug intelligently. An overdose is not something caused by a drug, per se, but rather the irresponsible, profligate, uncircumspect, impetuous, nescient, or generally reckless use of a drug.

Personally, I have used multifarious species of drug within the barbiturates family. My experience with them spans 5+ years. I have never overdosed even once from their use. I don't believe this is coincidental, and I attribute it to several preliminary procedures and preventive measures I punctiliously and customarily follow (to wit: educating myself on the specific drug's dose and other pharmacological features; using the drug in isolation or without any other CNS depressants in my system; having quick access to a sufficient quantity of an antidote for a barbiturate OD (in the improbable event that an OD still occurs) such as bemegride/methetharimide; minimizing drug redoses; etc).

Harm reduction does not begin and end at the decision to use a given drug. And just saying no to the use of a drug is never the only option to reduce or prevent one from sustaining or causing damage to oneself from the use of that drug.

I see your mind, I was just warning the OP that it's easy to overdose, not that barbiturate usage implies an overdose.
The thing is that, whilst you can overdose on almost every drug, each one has its LD50 (lethal dose 50). In some cases, the LD50 and the recreational dose have a wide margin between them (for example, caffeine). Other drugs, especially CNS depressants IME, have a lower margin between them. That means that it's easier to overdose. Especially with GABA drugs like benzos or barbiturates IME, since it's not atypical to keep redosing because "you feel nothing" when you wouldn't redose if you were sober.

I totally agree in the fact that HR is much more than "just say no"! Again, I didn't mean that you'll most likely OD on barbiturates, but it's wise to beware that you are more likely to OD on barbiturates than on, say, benzos.

Responsible and educated use implies safety, so as long as you know what you're taking and are aware of the ODing likelyhood, you should be safe :)

Dr. Opium

If you like the feeling of being tranq'd out (similar to benzos with more of an alcohol feeling.. but without the negative consequences of alcohol) than barbiturates are right for you!

Ps: easy to OD on.

This. Phenobarbitone is the long-acting version of alcohol and comes in a ready solid form. Don't mix them. 300mg is recommended for the first time; it's a high medical dose. 100mg won't do much except prevent seizures. Roughly, one tablet = one shot of whisky. FOR ME, benzodiazepines reliably induce sleep but barbiturates do not (and never did, not on the first night, not on the twentieth).

This. Phenobarbitone is the long-acting version of alcohol and comes in a ready solid form. Don't mix them. 300mg is recommended for the first time; it's a high medical dose. 100mg won't do much except prevent seizures. Roughly, one tablet = one shot of whisky. FOR ME, benzodiazepines reliably induce sleep but barbiturates do not (and never did, not on the first night, not on the twentieth).
Old thread I know... But, I'd say 300mg for your first time with no tolerance is way too much.