• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Whats the best sleep medicine to get off suboxone with?

Bojangles2.0

Bluelighter
Is it xanax... seroquel.... ambien, etc etc?

I've officially reached .10mg of suboxone after 9 months of tapering and have begun skipping days with it. I'm happy because I feel like I've gotten through a lot of depression over the last few months and am not really expecting to be slammed with wds or paws.

Problem is I can't fucking sleep. Should I just stop tapering and try to branch to a weaker opiate like darvocet or something?

Should I get some xanax? I'm not worried about getting addicted to anything because I'm in a totally different mindset now with my addiction. My only goal is to strategically find a somewhat comfortable way off the sub.

What can I do to get some sleep? I think I've taken seroquel many years ago at a detox, and it helped, but it also sedates the shit out of you. So I'm thinking valium/xanax would work better short term for the next 1-2 months.

Anyone use xanax/valium to get off an opiate?

thanks - Bo

Last edited:
A benzo with strong muscle relaxing properties is what I'd personally recommend, especially to counteract the RLS which is what keeps me from falling asleep even when heavily sedated.

For benzos, diazepam (Valium) is great and clonazepam (Rivotril) is almost as good as diazepam for relaxing the muscles. I use clonazepam for my tramadol WD because the RLS gets very annoying and I found it to be much better to get some sleep than alprazolam (Xanax). Don't have access to diazepam anymore but I've used it in the past and it is great for RLS.

I'd use Restoril or Seroquel. I've tried Trazadone and it doesn't work so great in these kind of situations.

I've been prescribed Ambien and Seroquil. Seroquil allows me to go back to sleep, after waking up to go pee.

Mirtazapine.
This stuff will let you get sleep regardless of withdrawal and nonstop tossing and turning. It's so strong, that I think it is the only reason I was able to quit Suboxone cold turkey at .5mg
My Doctor knew I was trying to get out of the hole... And he switched my meds to mirtazapine.
I hope I can use it again for the new hole I dug myself into this past year. Took me 4 years to get hooked again, and it happened right after my back went out.

IMO kratom helped really good and some days I used some indica strains. Kratom helped immensely with the WDs (which helped me sleep) and then some days when I simply couldnt sleep (not because of the WDs), Id smoke some weed.

I went CT from Oxy and Benzos (Valium) 35 days ago so I feel you when it comes to the sleep. My sleep is still pretty bad. It was unbearable up until last weekend. I broke it with Lyrica (pregabalin). Just watch that stuff, though. I had an addiction to that for a time and that CT is unbelievably horrific. I was taking 300mg 2x daily as prescribed by my MD who sold it to me as a 'safe' alternative to opiates. Nope. The past weekend I had 225mg in the morning and 150mg at night (Saturday) and 150mg Sunday morning and evening. Then 150mg Monday evening just to put me to sleep. I'm too scared to take it any longer. Also helps with the RLS. I had some Xanax which worked in the early days but not so much with the post-withdrawal phase which seems like it will never end. I also have a bit of red wine and some weed. It's a hard road. But you will see the light at the end of the tunnel eventually. Good luck.

Any benzo will help. Lyrica is the second choice followed by gabapentin