• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids whats better for a toothache

Billard

Bluelighter
So i gotta get a wisdom tooth removed n it's been like 6-7 years since i had a tooth taken out but there gonna have to cut my gums open cause it's impacted and i know im gonna be in a hell of a lot of pain when i leave there. I was wondering whats a better pain reliever for your teeth? Some percocet (oxycodone) or some norcos (hydrocodone)? i dabble with hydro and oxycodone sometime's for my knee but never used it for my teeth. I know how they both feel i just dont know wich would be better for this. And I know there bogus ass's prob wont give me but 10, 5mg norcos IF IM LUCKY but i already went out and got 6, 10mg percocets and 6, 10 mg norcos. Anybody ever have there teeth out and what worked better?

Actually, your best bet is gonna be the percocet combined with 600 mg of ibuprofen and icing the area fifteen minutes on and half an hour off.

Don't smoke ANYTHING for 3 days after surgery. Don't drink through a straw and follow post-extraction instructions to the letter. Take the IB every 6 hours and take it with food or at least milk. If you can't open your mouth enough to eat, get some Ensure or Boost, and drink a bottle or two of that with the IB so you don't trash your stomach.

The VERY best thing for dental pain is a NSAID called ketoprofen and if you ask nicely, your dentist may be willing to RX a few days of that for you. It has zero recreational value and is hard on the stomach, but will knock out mouth pain and swelling like nothing else.

Take 600 mg of ibuprofen about an hour before your appointment and tell your dentist you did so. If s/he RXes ketoprofen for you, wait 8 hours after the IB before taking the ketoprofen to avoid excessive bleeding. Avoid street drugs if at all possible during healing and avoid any drugs that cut saliva production as that increases the likelihood of infection and "dry socket" (you haven't known pain until you've had a dry socket)

Best wishes. The first 3 days are the worst.

I did the ibuprofen thing. It worked well. Since I have an opiate addiction in my past, I chose not to take opiates. The pain subsides and becomes manageable quickly as you become used to it. UpInFlames said it best, dont drink through a straw...it pulls the scabs out of the wounds....and definitely dont use tobacco. I cant stress it enough, dry socket is no joke!

the straw thing is no joke. Any sucking such as smoking is not ok. Trust me it is not worth it.

Sorry forgot to mention im highly allergic to ibuprofen. Thats why i stick to strictly tylenol. Well i guess im just gonna take the percs and hope for the best. Thanks and btw i wont be smoking trust me i prob wont even eat for 2 days.

Generally opioids are not very good for toothaches, NSAIDS like Ibuprofen/Keto- & Dexketoprofen would be the best option but since you are allergic maybe try some Diclofenac (if you got a sensitive stomach, take Omeprazol before).

For tooth pain Tylenol and naproxen work best for the pain for me anyways. The opiates don't do much ime, they'll take ur mind off it a little but they don't really help as much as good ol Tylenol...

It's not as bad as you think - I had all 4 out at once and a couple were impacted, wasn't that painful. I got by on dihydrocodeine and I had a little bit of tramadol too.

If allergic to ibuprofen, maybe ask for diflunisal. Seems fairly effective for tooth pain and may not cause cross sensitivity with ibuprofen.

Depends how bad your toothache is, if its mild then APAP or any nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug should be ok.

If allergic to ibuprofen, ANY of the NSAIDs should be taken with great caution due to the risk of cross-reactivity.

That's what I was thinking. OP said he was allergic to Ibuprofen, so my next thought was Naproxen, but I'm not sure how that would play out. If you're allergic to one NSAID, does that possibly apply to all, or is it a specific thing? Either way, definitely better to proceed with caution.

That's what I was thinking. OP said he was allergic to Ibuprofen, so my next thought was Naproxen, but I'm not sure how that would play out. If you're allergic to one NSAID, does that possibly apply to all, or is it a specific thing? Either way, definitely better to proceed with caution.

It depends. Anaphylactic response or acute urticaria or angioedema from a single NSAID usually does not show cross reactivity with chemically distinct NSAIDs. But chronic urticaria or exacerbations of things like asthma very often do. This is why I said trying diflusinal as it is more like a salicylate than a propionic acid derivative (ibuprofen and naproxen) and quite effective at treating tooth pain.