• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What would happen

ugly

Bluelighter
I would like some of the wonderful people on BL to discuss with me this question:
"What do you think would happen if I bought a one way ticket out of the state, and rode until I felt like I'd found a place I liked.

Suppose I walked around the new area and started looking for a job. Would I be able to find one? Where could I sleep and shower and use the toilet? Would I starve?

Has anyone here walked away from a 34 year marriage, four kids, four grandkids and started over alone in a totally unfamiliar place?

You can never really run away from your problems. You will be able to find a moderately pleasant neighborhood and perhaps a 9-5 but the guilt and shame will overwhelm your conscience.

You don't know me.

Are you guys quarrelling or not getting along? I know what you mean about getting on a bus and not looking back. Even the best plans never worked well for me so I fly by the seat of my pants usually. But it's winter in most parts of the U.S. Motel money would be needed once you get there. Plus even if you got a job right away, you need cash to live on until you get paid. I'm not brave enough to try this but I've been tempted and it's usually lack of funds that keeps me here. I've never made it past the pysch ward.

I always thought family was my safety net but that's not always the case. Back in the 80's my mom was going through a mid-life crisis or something and took off. Left my sister and me with my stepfather. She needed to work shit out. Yeah we were upset mom filed for divorce and moved in with this real creepy man. But she wasn't happy with the way her life was going. Finding peace wasn't easy for her either.

i would suggest having a location in mind. or taking time to just travel and explore several areas if you have the funds to do so. as far as i know, you usually need a destination before you can buy a ticket on a train, bus or plane.

homeless ---> SO

I hitchhiked from Denver to Portland this past summer with a plan to go to New Zealand. I ended up loving Portland so much that I cancelled my plane ticket, CouchSurfed for a week while I found an apartment, and then spent the next two months living like a king.

Anyone can do the same.

I would like some of the wonderful people on BL to discuss with me this question:
"What do you think would happen if I bought a one way ticket out of the state, and rode until I felt like I'd found a place I liked.

Suppose I walked around the new area and started looking for a job. Would I be able to find one? Where could I sleep and shower and use the toilet? Would I starve?

Has anyone here walked away from a 34 year marriage, four kids, four grandkids and started over alone in a totally unfamiliar place?

cant relate to the marrige and kids/grandkids situation, but while it seems like an adventure, there are a lot of pitfalls along the way...the sleeping and personal hygeine things arent too tought to work out, but is your life so bad you could actually pick up and leave everything like that? If you were a single dude id say more power to you, but from the sound of it, ppl depend on you. set up a few hours a week of you time, go out and do the things you like to do, unhindered, free of anyone else. problems will follow you and haunt you. No one can give you can answer, but take a look around, youve created a family, if there is no one else to go to, family should be the ones that will understand. good luck to you.

I hitchhiked from Denver to Portland this past summer with a plan to go to New Zealand. I ended up loving Portland so much that I cancelled my plane ticket, CouchSurfed for a week while I found an apartment, and then spent the next two months living like a king.

Anyone can do the same.

Wouldn't you call your situation unique? Should your post have the same tiny-print disclaimer weight loss commercials have --- Results Not Typical?

I would hope it really is as easy as it sounds. Being able to hitchhike safely across several states, relying on the hospitality of complete strangers for a couple weeks until you find an apartment where you live comfortably for months I assume by being able to somehow secure a good job quickly.

Is it really that carefree and routine? I'm not trying to argue; in fact, I hope it really is that simple because that can only mean we're doing really well as a society.

or at least Portland is.

Is it really that carefree and routine? I'm not trying to argue; in fact, I hope it really is that simple because that can only mean we're doing really well as a society.

or at least Portland is.

I think Portland is unique in that regard. Sign up for CouchSurfing, join the PDX group and look at all the stuff going on. We had events where 50+ people showed up at a random persons house just to eat gumbo and then go to a bar together afterwards... total strangers, then friends. I stayed with one person that became a good friends instantly-- he said I could stay at his house for as long as I wanted, and we pretty much explored Oregon and California together for those two months. Hitchhiking is more possible in the West, obviously, but it can be done anywhere in the world.

When you open yourself up to these types of atypical experiences, the Universe tends to smile upon you. :)

Realistically, I think you should save up some money and find a job before you even buy the plane ticket. If you do decide to do this, good luck to you! If you decide to stay put, I hope your problems at home get worked out.

I have learned from my travels that a good night of sleep is a good thing.

And don't see Portland as a solution. I won't rant for Portland, I would fully recommend that it's a place for no one. I am presently in Portland, and I would like to be home. Portland was not even close to a solution for me.

I have learned from my travels that a good night of sleep is a good thing.

And don't see Portland as a solution. I won't rant for Portland, I would fully recommend that it's a place for no one. I am presently in Portland, and I would like to be home. Portland was not even close to a solution for me.

^ interesting

Nonetheless, I'm hoping the one and only ugly comes back to this thread to give us some responses. :)

What do you not like about Portland? I've never gone to the pacific northwest before.

Lol, if you think you're gonna get a one way ticket to the middle of nowhere with little money and think it's going to work, <snip>

You have a family, they love you.

Last edited by a moderator: