• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

What works for you? (chronic back pain)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shain77

Bluelighter
So it was back to the doc last week to try to get some better relief from back pain.

I'm currently taking;

Flexeril 10mg 3xday
Naproxen 500mg 2xday
Tylenol #4 up to 3xday PRN
Percoset 5/325 2x day PRN
Zytram XR 300mg at bedtime (testing this for a week - hasn't been helping)

During the day I can usually grin and bear it with the T4s, but trying to get a proper nights sleep is very hard. Having to get up every 3 hrs to walk around or stretch is brutal, and it is definitely hurting my quality of life. I know there is others out there with the same issue, so please help me out.

What has worked for you?

I take 8 mg subutex daily and it take my 8/10 down to a 4/10. On top of that 4 mg of zanaflex and 50 mg hydroxyzine. I can't use oxy because I would abuse the shit out of it.

oxycodone ER 1 dose in the morning with 0.5 at lunch and dinner with oxymorphone IR for breakthrough pain. This combo for opiate pain management is a godsend and I believe the best answer for daily all day pain management

Oxymorphone ER, 10, 2x day
oxycodone, IR, 15mg, 4x day
valium, 5mg, 1x day

I also have trouble sleeping, so I take 100mg of Trazadone and melatonin, but when I go through bad times, sleep is terrible. I'm thinking of going back on Ambien CR (long lasting) for sleep.

You'll find people on various amounts of meds; for some, tolerance is an issue right away. For others, they find the right combo and amount and stay on it for a while. Keeping a pain/med journal is helpful for you and your doctor to find the right treatment. Also, I've switched meds from time to time to keep tolerance from growing as well.

FYI, my last 3 discs are in the process of fusing on their own after tears, DDD and time.

I am not in the same league as most of you guys, but methocarbamol (Robaxin) has been very helpful to me. Much better than Flexeril IME and more clear headed. When it gets bad, some Valium and Naproxen. I could probably get a script for at least some Percocets or Norcos but I try to avoid heavy narcotics on a daily basis, been there, done that, maybe I lack all self control but for me it's always been diminishing returns, inevitable crosstapering to heroin, bad news, besides, I like to save my tolerance for the very occasional recreational expedition to the land of Nod.

Dihydrocodeine
Codeine
Tramadol
Tapantadol
Not all together though! That would be a lethal cocktail, I mix and match every day to keep the tolerance down. Xxx

methylprednisolone packs can work a miracle if you get into a bad spot. They never worked that well for minor pain but when I was at a level ten it got me out of it instantly. opiates weren't doing anything at that point it was so bad. 30 mg of oxy and a full bottle of wine and still had horrible pain.

icing alot. going in the pool and just "free floating" are other tips i use

So reviewed some new test results and discussed some options with the doc. Pretty much out of nowhere he asks if i used marijuana. I haven't, not for a very long time. Long story short, i have a 2 week trial of oxyneo er 10mg and began the application process for medical marijuana.

for me, i currently use 3x 10mg oxymorphone ER per day, and i get 75x 30mg oxycodone IR pills for as needed use. the ER's aren't working that well, next month the doc is going to up the dosage. the 30mg IR pills work great, although it doesn't last that long, thats why im hoping the higher dose opana ER pills will work better so i get better round-the-clock pain relief.

back pain is the reason i gravitated twords lots of opiates for my mid-teens on. i have scoliosis, degenerating/slipped discs and a coccyx problem. opiates work.

if you want a non-pharmaceutical advice, i started sleeping in the sitting position - sounds uncomfortable but really is the best for my back. this allows me 4hrs continuous sleep. then the back wakes me up and i roll over but am good another 2hrs.... last 2hrs of the night is typically unbarable so morning dose comes early 5 out of 7 nights. but for those that suffer getting sleep due to back problems - that 4hr block is a miracle!

So reviewed some new test results and discussed some options with the doc. Pretty much out of nowhere he asks if i used marijuana. I haven't, not for a very long time. Long story short, i have a 2 week trial of oxyneo er 10mg and began the application process for medical marijuana.

That's wonderful! Cannabis was going to be my suggestion, it's incredibly for inflammatory-related chronic pain. My friend has degenerative disc disease (had a microdiscectomy too) and gets by on just cannabis! No narcotics at all.

I'd recommend trying to find products you can ingest, like an oil or extract, as opposed to just smoking. You'll get less peaks and valleys in your treatment. It's also more effective for long term inflammation.

What state are you in?

what do i use daily?

poppy seed tea made from 1.25-3lbs
oxycodone - as low as 20mgs or i high as 150mgs, depending on how much i have or whatever else i have
oxymorphone, 20-40mgs depending on whatever else i have
tizanidine, 8-16mgs at night
alcohol, 8-12 beers
3 days a month i go through a bottle of 90 300mg gabapentin
3-5 days a month a go through a bottle of 90 100mg lyrica
2 nights a week i take benzos, either 1mg klonopin or 2mgs alprozolam - i would take more often but i dont need a benzo addiction on top of opiates

i smoke weed a couple times a day if i have it, which i prefer to, but sometimes just cant afford it when i need opiates more

The Butrans patch has been helpful...Sucks trying to wear it for a week though.
Butrans 40mcg~hr
percocet 10/325
Gabapentin 600mg
IBU 800mg
1mg clanazapam

Bought a isolated square wave stimulator, cranked up to 60volts+ usually at 15htz or 30khz. This thing's a miricle, breaks up cramps and stuburn knots, makes it so I can function on the tapering doses of opiods...

Cannabis, exercise, physical therapy and when I can't take the pain - Advil and Valium. Valium for me is new, but it's helped my back a lot, but my issues are primarily muscular in nature. Cannabis I find quite effective, but the indica I find helps most I can only use at night, it knocks me flat out. But different people may react very differently to cannabis, you may find it just the ticket for day and night pain.

It beats opioids imo - not for euphoria but for genuine relief of straight up pain and tolerance is hardly an issue.

Oh, excuse my manners. I forgot where I was for minute.
I burn more weed than the DEA. 3-5 cocktails in the evening, Tizanidine 4-16mg, Baclofen 10-40mg, and a muddafukin bubble bath w/ epson salts and my rubber chicken.
If it gets bad, I go to the ER (not recomended for beginners) and get large morphine or hydryomorphone injection. They often offer Toridol injections too...I never turn down a pain relief shot.

honestly Kratom helps my chronic back pain more than anything else has..ive taken heroin, oxycontin, nubain, tramadol, muscle relaxers etc etc but for some reason kratom wipes my back pain away..

I'm in Canada which is going through a change in the med MJ rules right now.

Benzos don't seem to help at all for me, although they are supposed to have muscle relaxing effects. I have extreme chronic pain in my spine. I have found relief in muscle relaxers, like cyclobenzaprine and baclofen. Also, to state the obvious, opiates eliminate my pain completely but the tolerance skyrockets so fast. I wish there was another solution but I haven't found one and I really don't think that one is out there in my case. I have to accept them as part of my life if I want to be able to take care of myself and function like a normal human. The key for me is not overusing them.

What doesn't work: anti-inflammatories are garbage for me, just feels like I'm polluting my body. I'll still take them sometimes for the hell of it. But I mainly stick to turmeric because it's a natural one. Weed is just not a medicine in any way, shape, or form for me - for anything at all, let alone chronic pain. Not saying it doesn't benefit others, but I've never understood marijuana myself. Not even recreational use. But if I had free access I'd be really interested in trying some unique strains, like high CBD, or even just juicing cannabis leaves. It's just not like that here unfortunately so I really don't know what strain I'm getting and commercial weed is obviously not organic, therefore I never use it anymore. Kratom was really appealing to me but I couldn't stomach it, even after straining it as well as I could.

Not only will the individual have a unique source of chronic pain, but they will also react different to the treatments. I have gained nothing from chiro, acupuncture, physio... they just seem like pseudo-treatments to me. And tricyclic antidepressants... lol.

Yoga helps me a little bit, but I mainly use it for other reasons.

To answer the question though, for me it all comes down to baclofen, valium, and percocet, as well as watching my every move.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.