• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

What time of the day to trip for maximal benefit?

Memantine

Bluelighter
What is the best time? In the morning, midday or evening?

I want to get the most out of the experience in terms of 5-HT2A/2C downregulation and synaptogenesis.

No idea why, but I get more visual activity at night. I like to dose right before the sub sets or not long after so I am not up forever.

I have enjoyed spiritual and emotional benefits from both day or night trips. I personally prefer nighttime trips as i seem to enjoy the vibe of the night better, but it will vary from person to person. I wouldnt say that i lose or miss out on benefits depending on what time of day i take it though, just different vibes

There is good biochemical evidence demonstrating the importance of the time of the day administration to maximize CNS active drugs efficiency. But for psychedelics the laboratory research and clinical trials are yet to be done. You’ll have to be your own lab rat. I don’t have the time and money to go through scientific literature but here’s an abstract that may be a good starting point for you:

Prig Neurobiology. 1987;29(3):219-59.
Circadian rhythms in mammalian neurotransmitter receptors.
Wirz-Justice A.
Abstract
At the present time, the following summary statements can be made as to 24-hour changes in receptor binding. In all receptors studied in homogenates from whole rat forebrain (alpha 1, alpha 2, beta-adrenergic, muscarinic cholinergic, dopaminergic, 5HT-1, 5HT-2, adenosine, opiate, benzodiazepine, GABA, imipramine), significant variations over 24 hours have been documented. The receptor rhythms measured change in wave form, amplitude, and phase throughout the year, even though the animals have been kept on a defined and constant LD cycle. Whether these rhythms are truly seasonal requires further investigation. The rhythms are circadian: i.e. they persist in the absence of time cues, and the unimodal rhythms do not persist after lesion of the putative circadian pacemaker in the suprachiasmatic nuclei. The rhythms can be uni- or bimodal, and each brain region shows a particular pattern. The pattern can be different for the same ligand in different nuclei of a given brain region (e.g. hypothalamus). Nearly all studies of receptor rhythms have been carried out in rats; the results vary according to strain and even within the same strain from different breeding lines. Receptor rhythm characteristics are modified by age: e.g. the amplitude, phase, as well as the 24-hour mean of binding to a given ligand in a defined brain region. The changes in number of binding sites over 24 hours can be correlated with amine turnover, second messenger, or function of that brain region; however these relationships, although consistent within a region, do not hold for all regions. If gradual changes in CNS neurotransmitter receptor function are considered important in the pathogenesis of schizophrenia and affective disorders and the mode of action of psychopharmacological agents, then consideration of the short term rapid change over 24 hours is equally necessary. Chronic treatment with a number of psychoactive drugs known to induce up- or down-regulation of receptor number, also induces marked changes in circadian rhythm parameters of wave form, amplitude, phase and 24-hour mean. This is of methodological importance for single time-point studies, since the interpretation of the results will depend on time of day. Preliminary evidence supports the assumption that the significant variation in receptor binding throughout the day may underlie the well-known circadian rhythms of susceptibility to many CNS drugs. New findings of circadian rhythms in receptors on blood cells indicate the relevance of these changes also in human physiology.
PMID:
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Regarding synaptogenesis do you mean to maximize the potential to establish new connections between neurons, to facilitate neuroplasticity?

No one time is best for everybody, try all three and choose the one you like best.

The important part is to be rested. I mostly trip at night because it's so much quieter and the outside world is less terrifyingly busy.

Normally I enjoy night time tripping becUse the visuals are better

But last summer when I was taking 1P-LSD I much preferred the visuals in sunlight....maybe just this compound....but the visuals were just really awesome in the sunlight.

Peaking just before sunset proved to be my favorite for that substance

But last summer when I was taking 1P-LSD I much preferred the visuals in sunlight....maybe just this compound....but the visuals were just really awesome in the sunlight.

This, pretty much. It really depends on the chemical for me. As a general rule of thumb, but with many exceptions, Tryptamines in the dark and Phenethylamines with light.

I love the mystery that comes along with tripping in the darkness. I just feel at home tripping at night. I often will take a dose at 6 or 7 pm, then not sleep until the next day. I'll often let it play out, and just come down, watch the sun come up, take some Xanax when ready to sleep, and do so. I love when I have the time and place to do it.

Yes, exactly.

Again I can’t answer that question and I doubt anybody can. There is evidence that psychedelics promote neuroplasticity but I couldn’t find anything about specific time of the day ingestion, or dosage, or frequency to maximize benefits. Here’s the abstract of a classic article on the subject, it is available for free online:

A Single Dose of Lysergic Acid Diethylamide
Influences Gene Expression Patterns within the
Mammalian Brain

Charles D. Nichols, Ph.D., and Elaine Sanders-Bush, Ph.D.

Hallucinogenic drugs such as lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) have profound effects on humans including hallucinations and detachment from reality. These remarkable behavioral effects have many similarities to the debilitating symptoms of neuropsychiatric disorders such as schizophrenia. The effects of hallucinogens are thought to be mediated by serotonin receptor activation; however, how these drugs elicit the unusual behavioral effects remains largely a mystery, despite much research. We have undertaken the first comprehensive analysis of gene expression influenced by acute LSD administration in the mammalian brain. These studies represent a novel approach to elucidate the mechanism of action of this class of drugs. We have identified a number of genes that are predicted to be involved in the processes of synaptic plasticity, glutamatergic signaling and cytoskeletal architecture. Understanding these molecular events will lead to new insights into the etiology of disorders whose behavioral symptoms resemble the temporary effects of hallucinogenic drugs, and also may ultimately result in new therapies.

[Neuropsychopharmacology 26:634–642, 2002]

© 2002 American College of Neuropsychopharmacology.
Published by Elsevier Science Inc.

To answer those questions would require years of lab and clinical research. I suggest you to check out the subreddit threads about nootropics, you are left with anecdotal cases to figure out.

I get really tired if I trip late at night, my preference is to start tripping right around supper time or mid-afternoon if possible.
If I have some benzos to help me sleep at the end of a trip though I don't mind tripping at night

My opinion is choose the time of day that maximizes your ability to sleep soundly (morning trip).

I recommend getting some sleep then waking up and dropping at 3 AM ...One of the most memorable
trips was sitting on the beach watching the sunrise ..Then spending the day playing frisbee ..waling through the woods and swimming ....just a suggestion ......

Midnight.