• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos What the come on of benzo withdrawal feels like?

LucidSDreamr

Bluelighter
My pain levels have been bad lately that I’ve been using more diazepam than I used to.

I’m also opioid dependent so it really complicates what I’m feeling. I’ll feel this new feeling even if I’m not in opioid withdrawal. I feel like I have a very good sense of what opioid withdrawal come on feels like.

I suspect I’ve developed the beginning of a benzo dependency.

What I feel is less of a physical feeling like the caffeine overdose/lead weighed feeling of an opioid withdrawal come on. Here’s what I feel:

Emotions and panic about things in life kick into overdrive. Sadness and crying might happen. i feel the feeling of anxiety that is similar to the come up of an acid or mdma trip when you know you’re about to get slammed and you get nervous and butterflies.

Anyways they are locked away from me by my partner now because i was so scared of getting dependent. Of course i can talk them into giving me them back if i need to though.

Last edited:
You may notice that you cant fall asleep, your body will feel like its shaking. This is just a prelude of the sheer terror to come, i am going through paws now, things just escalate from what i mentioned, i did'nt sleep for 10 days and went psycotic for a few days, tremors, auditory hallucinations, strobing vision = on the brink of a fit so i drank a beer and that calmed me for a bit, went to bed and was visited by my late parents into my bedroom, i could'nt move, i have a little gym in my bedroom and 3-4 cartel members talking to my folks how they were going to murder me the next day, i knew it was'nt real so told everyone to fuck off, which they did'nt, just wrnt quiet and stared at me for hours.

I live near a little church and when tje bells started they left my room, i thought it was god helping but those church bells lasted four dsys really loud.

Thats how it started for me.

Good luck.

I was actually surprised that I experienced physical withdrawals so overwhelming that I sort of didn't realize that I should be fucking anxious. I was, sort of, it is difficult to describe. Maybe it was just so chaotic torment that I couldn't name it. I really describe deep end benzo withdrawals like; Everything was wrong. Any way my body and mind could cause pain, it did. Sort of shit happened, I really don't haveexplanation and no one else does either.

When I wasn't even trying to quit, simply hadn't had clonazepam for 48-60 hours or something, I felt "uneasy in threatening way". Then I had some friend gave, with great relief. Half a year later or something, I quit. Best decisions of my life.

At the very beginning onset you'll notice sounds seem louder than normal, a normal TV show that you're used to suddenly takes on an upsetting or distrubing quality. Then comes the dissociation, tightness in the chest, anxiety, which can then proceed to panic, and finally delirium and seizures at more extreme stages

At the very beginning onset you'll notice sounds seem louder than normal, a normal TV show that you're used to suddenly takes on an upsetting or distrubing quality. Then comes the dissociation, tightness in the chest, anxiety, which can then proceed to panic, and finally delirium and seizures at more extreme stages
None of that here.

Just the stuff in my OP and sleeping issues which opioids can override.

A lot of you guys are heavy hitters I’m using maybe 50 to 150 mg of diazepam per WEEK., spread out in 10 to 30 mg doses per day.

Hard to know if it’s in my head. Currently quitting weed too so that complicates it more.

oh yeah that I had forgotten. Sort of a poisoned trip. Birds tweeting and screaming sounded like fireworks coming up, again and again.

That’s not what I feel. It’s way more mental than tactile or physical.

Maybe I just haven’t let it get to the physical feelings coming yet.
For me the psychological effects were far more profound. Derealization/depersonalization. It was like being on a drug itself. Things didn't seem real or things felt like a dream. Lots of paranoia and of course anxiety. But yeah, the feeling of being in a kind of dream like state was what really stood out. I couldn't sleep and had a seizure by day 3 I think. Doctors didn't believe me/thought I was after benzos (I wasn't - I wanted them to keep me in the hospital). They gave me a week's supply of zopiclone which helped me get 6 or so hours of sleep a night and I cannot stress enough how important sleep is. Vitamins. Try and eat but seriously, sleep feels impossible but once I was able to sleep, I felt improvements. Plus eating and all that.

You can get through it. Weirdly it didn't seem as bad as people say it is but I was alone and had no responsibilities for a couple of weeks so I was able to just baby sit myself. Unfortunately I am back on them but I had a steady habit for a long time so I know it can be done. I was clean for a good half a year or so with the benzos.

Baby steps. Crawl and be ready for seizures. Be ready to call the emergency services as they can be fatal. If you feel an "aura" then go and lay down. That's what I did and I had the seizure in bed. You can fall and hurt yourself of course.

Take care of yourself and good luck.

For me the psychological effects were far more profound. Derealization/depersonalization. It was like being on a drug itself. Things didn't seem real or things felt like a dream. Lots of paranoia and of course anxiety. But yeah, the feeling of being in a kind of dream like state was what really stood out. I couldn't sleep and had a seizure by day 3 I think. Doctors didn't believe me/thought I was after benzos (I wasn't - I wanted them to keep me in the hospital). They gave me a week's supply of zopiclone which helped me get 6 or so hours of sleep a night and I cannot stress enough how important sleep is. Vitamins. Try and eat but seriously, sleep feels impossible but once I was able to sleep, I felt improvements. Plus eating and all that.

You can get through it. Weirdly it didn't seem as bad as people say it is but I was alone and had no responsibilities for a couple of weeks so I was able to just baby sit myself. Unfortunately I am back on them but I had a steady habit for a long time so I know it can be done. I was clean for a good half a year or so with the benzos.

Baby steps. Crawl and be ready for seizures. Be ready to call the emergency services as they can be fatal. If you feel an "aura" then go and lay down. That's what I did and I had the seizure in bed. You can fall and hurt yourself of course.

Take care of yourself and good luck.
How heavy was you usage? Like what did you take and how much?

A lot of you guys are describing severe things.

With me, my dependency is so low (I’ve been taking them for like 4 years but would only use once a week and even take a month off here or there)….but the past two months it’s ramped up to almost daily or every other day usage

None of that here.

Just the stuff in my OP and sleeping issues which opioids can override.

A lot of you guys are heavy hitters I’m using maybe 50 to 150 mg of diazepam per WEEK., spread out in 10 to 30 mg doses per day.

Hard to know if it’s in my head. Currently quitting weed too so that complicates it more.

If youve been through benzo withdrawal as many times as I have, in a few cases full blown withdrawal from massive doses of benzos, you begin to notice the slightest things.

Benzo withdrawal/rebound can be subtle as fuck. That's why it's so sneaky as far as dependency goes.

My GABA-A receptors are so shot from past abuse that a single 2mg dose of etizolam will give me a nasty weekend rebound.

Problem is, I'm so permanently anxious now that I find myself having to take benzos a few times a year to deal with stressful situations. This current year has been worse in terms of benzo use than ive had since over a decade. I have hell to pay very soon.

How heavy was you usage? Like what did you take and how much?

A lot of you guys are describing severe things.

With me, my dependency is so low (I’ve been taking them for like 4 years but would only use once a week and even take a month off here or there)….but the past two months it’s ramped up to almost daily or every other day usage
30-50mg of diazepam per day, sometimes. More sometimes less. Occasional drink binge in there plus occasional use of H

30-50mg of diazepam per day, sometimes. More sometimes less. Occasional drink binge in there plus occasional use of H

Wow you weren’t that much worse than what I’m doing then.

Now I’m scared.

When you were dependent, how long without the dose would it take for your withdrawal to start coming in?

The most I did was 3 mg Clonazepam per day for four days. That was after taking my "normal" dose of 1mg for three days in a row. It took me about two weeks to go back to my normal 1mg and another week to not needing any. I don't know if I experienced any withdrawal symptoms. It was a shitty time and I was in a shitty place and much of the bad stuff I experienced was because of the underlying situation I think.
Even if I don't take high doses, but I've been taking benzos for over 12 years now. There are days, sometimes even weeks where I don't need/want any. But the thought of not having them alone makes me anxious. So I'm definitely dependent, even if I can go without taking any for some time.
I have a prescription because of a condition, so maybe it's not being without the drug what makes me anxious, but what could happen if I don't take it.

Now to answer your question on how long it takes me to notice something that could be withdrawal: With 1 mg per day for 3 days, it's about 12 or so hours after I took the last dose. And it usually starts with thinking about taking a bit more. And that's when I know I have to stop the train.

Last edited:
ya, 30mg Diazepam isn’t nothing too extreme daily ….actually is a therapeutic dose for an adult

10mg Alprazolam is the Max recommend dose lol…..WTF, 5 freaking Xanax bars ? to me, that’s ALOT five freaking bars a day

I love a Benzo combo…

Diazepam 20mg
Alprazolam 1mg
Lorazepam 1mg
Clonazepam 0.5mg
Pregabalin 150-300mg
Indica Cannabis 5mg oil under tongue
and a moderate Opioid dose lol

The most I did was 3 mg Clonazepam per day for four days. That was after taking my "normal" dose of 1mg for three days in a row. It took me about two weeks to go back to my normal 1mg and another week to not needing any. I don't know if I experienced any withdrawal symptoms. It was a shitty time and I was in a shitty place and much of the bad stuff I experienced was because of the underlying situation I think.
Even if I don't take high doses, but I've been taking benzos for over 12 years now. There are days, sometimes even weeks where I don't need/want any. But the thought of not having them alone makes me anxious. So I'm definitely dependent, even if I can go without taking any for some time.
I have a prescription because of a condition, so maybe it's not being without the drug what makes me anxious, but what could happen if I don't take it.

Now to answer your question on how long it takes me to notice something that could be withdrawal: With 1 mg per day for 3 days, it's about 12 or so hours after I took the last dose. And it usually starts with thinking about taking a bit more. And that's when I know I have to stop the train.

So it sounds like you’ve being dosing daily for over a year and can stop without withdrawal?

I was like that with pregabalin which is a gaba agonist not a gaba modulator like benzos that I’ve heard ppl get really hooked on with nasty withdrawals. They both open ion channels so it’s pretty similar mechanism of action if I’m remembering correctly.

But i took and abused pregabalin heavily for 5 years daily and had no withdrawal at all when I stopped.

I don’t wamt to be naive to think that i have as good a resistance to benzos though because I’ve never abused them or taken them constantly until recently.

Theres a guy on here that swears up and down he does 60 mg morphine every other day and can stop and get zero withdrawal. If i took that even 2 twice a week (Monday and Thursday let’s say) I would be hooked. I get very easily hooked on opiates. 4 days on them and i have a withdrawal.

We are all human but some of us seem to have more resistance to dependency than others it seems

Last edited:
yep, those sound to me like my benzo wd symptoms. and if you HAVENT gotten them yet, if you use them regularly you will. even 10mg a day is enough to cause awful wd, and if i could go back i would never use them more than once every few months.
If you are starting to get benzo wd, RUN from them. The wds seriously make opioid wd look like a fun time. so very bad.

My pain levels have been bad lately that I’ve been using more diazepam than I used to.

I’m also opioid dependent so it really complicates what I’m feeling. I’ll feel this new feeling even if I’m not in opioid withdrawal. I feel like I have a very good sense of what opioid withdrawal come on feels like.

I suspect I’ve developed the beginning of a benzo dependency.

What I feel is less of a physical feeling like the caffeine overdose/lead weighed feeling of an opioid withdrawal come on. Here’s what I feel:

Emotions and panic about things in life kick into overdrive. Sadness and crying might happen. i feel the feeling of anxiety that is similar to the come up of an acid or mdma trip when you know you’re about to get slammed and you get nervous and butterflies.

Anyways they are locked away from me by my partner now because i was so scared of getting dependent. Of course i can talk them into giving me them back if i need to though.
I'm pretty sure it's the opposite of what they do, so symptoms of anxiety like increased heart rate, racing thoughts, anxiety, panic, tingling, hands and feet, pretty much like the beginnings of alcohol withdrawal.

If youve been through benzo withdrawal as many times as I have, in a few cases full blown withdrawal from massive doses of benzos, you begin to notice the slightest things.

Benzo withdrawal/rebound can be subtle as fuck. That's why it's so sneaky as far as dependency goes.

My GABA-A receptors are so shot from past abuse that a single 2mg dose of etizolam will give me a nasty weekend rebound.

Problem is, I'm so permanently anxious now that I find myself having to take benzos a few times a year to deal with stressful situations. This current year has been worse in terms of benzo use than ive had since over a decade. I have hell to pay very soon.
Bacopa extract and (liposomal)fisetin+quercetin modulate normalize the receptor expression and binding affinities of GABA-A and NMDA receptors (as well as apparently some of the other receptors as well like serotonin and dopamine).

There is ample evidence that you can search regarding bacopa. It even normalizes Gaba receptor density and function after experimental damage by pilocarpine in a mouse model of epilepsy.

The fisetin I happened upon by accident, I take large doses as a senolytic treatment, and I took an especially large dose when I was released from alcohol detox last year. For the first time on my life I had no cravings for alcohol whatsoever. I could literally go to the bar, hang around people drinking and not be interested at all. I analyzed what was different this time and the only different thing was the three-day course of 1,000 mg of liposomal fisetin and quercetin three times a day.

I found several studies identifying that both fisetin and quercetin modulate, GABA receptors and Glu receptors studies varied with respect to how they did it but obviously it seemed that things normalized.

fisetin binds to GABA and AMPA receptors

(fisetin significantly increases Gaba levels in the brain)

quercetin modulates the effect of GABA and NMDA receptors

"Notably, systemic and prefrontal-specific delivery of quercetin reduced basal locomotor activity in addition to alleviated the MK-801-induced hyperactivity."

I have used bacopa in the past which absolutely helped with Gabaergic and serotonergic dopaminergic imbalance but never kept me from wanting to drink. Perhaps this time the combination did the trick.

Anyway, hopefully that will work for you.

Last edited: