• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What replacement opioids are available in your country for treating addiction via ORT/OMT approach?

Pain_in_vain

Bluelighter
The title tells it all. I think that it would be useful to have this list. If one is addicted to oral morphine putting the person on a buprenorphine or methadone is simply lousy approach cause the incentive is just not there. I think that being stiff ond offering just methadone and buprenorphine will not bring people into treatment until they are already really deep in their addiction with bigger obstacles to overcome. Differences from country to country are huge - in USA and many other places methadone and buprenorphine are all that is available. I know that Austria has morphine and Germany is offering full range of opioids, from codeine to buprenorphine, methadone, levomethadone, morphine and even diamorphine as is Switzerland. Country that offers most medications to choose from is Canada that is offering everything Switzerland is offering but in Canada there is also IV hydromorphone. Having said all that I did not research what is the criteria when prescribing IV opioids and are there any hurdles for the patients/users.

If you would be so kind I would like to create country by country comparison. If you are willing please input following:

1) Country you are giving data about.

2) Medications that are available in that country for ORT/OMT.

3) Explain protocols for recieving medications other than methadone or buprenorphine - are there any problems when asking for morphine or IV medications. Is it more or less easy to get IV diamorphne if you are already IV heroin dependent person in country you are giving data about?

I plan to create an "database" and update it with new information as they arrive.

I believe that this would help people that are starting to see how unprescribed opioids are destroying their lives. Getting help and being prescribed pharmaceutical grade opioids, especially if we are speaking of morphine, diamorphine and hydromorphone, could be the difference between meaningful employment or going to prison, and even between life or death. So if you think that this is a good idea please help with your knowledge. Thank you.

P.S. if this post is in the wrong place I apologise and mods/admins plese relocate this tread.

Last edited: