View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

What psychedelics work while taking trazodone, without dulling the trip pls

3dmusic

Bluelighter
On trazosone I tried acid, which I enjoyed but it was nothing like acid with no traz, the giggles were absent, I was super chilled but the experience was a lot emptier than the acid trips from before trazodone. I was on 300mg daily, back then. I did make sure I never took any traz for 36hrs before dropping the trip, yet, still, paaahhh, not worth the money i paid for the acid.
I;m only on 150mg now. Mebbe I'll leave a longer gap of no traz and experiment again.

I'd love to know if there is any other psychedelics that work with trazodone. The only reason i am on trazodone was back in 2009, due to hyperinflated panic from benzodiazepine withdrawals, trazodone was my desperate bid to help the pain from the benzo withdrawal. I also did the same with quetiapine but no drug can touch bzd wdrwls.
So once I got off the diazepam, I slowly started coming off the others.

I'm moving away from pharm drugs.
Before pharm drugs, psychedelics taught me some amazing lessons and insights.
Psychedelics plugged me back in to where I had come from, something, I and most others have become unplugged, disconnected from our source.
They taught me, via my own 'behind eyelid' geometric visuals that maths underpins all life.
They made me feel as if trees were aware and capable of making exchanges with you.
They taught me , using my own body awareness, mental sense of touch, about how emotions are in the body and must be fully felt to let go.
They showed me how to breathe slowly and fully and so gradually you hardly knew you were breathing.
They showed me how to compare thoughts as trains passing by in a station, and letting them go by and treating thoughts like those passing trains. Once you might lose your way, and get hung up on a thought and follow it, like getting on one of the trains that pass through the station.
Watching all the trains go by is how we treat our thoughts, let them appear and float over and off.

tldr i want a psychelelic experience soon and preferably with a substance that works with trazodone.

It's a serotonin antagonist and reuptake inhibitor - forget about psychedelics (which are serotonin agonists), none will work.

It's a serotonin antagonist and reuptake inhibitor - forget about psychedelics (which are serotonin agonists), none will work.

How about if I stop taking the trazodone for a couple of days before tripping?
Traz has 6hr half life, any chance of catching a trip that way?

How about if I stop taking the trazodone for a couple of days before tripping?

If SARIs have similar withdrawal symptoms as SSRIs (which is likely the case), you really shouldn't quit Trazodone cold turkey just to trip.

Hello again

So,, while on trazodone nothing will work.
If I temporarily stopped trazodone for two days, I wouldnt be cold turkeying trazodone to trip, as I would be resuming the trazodone after I come back from the trip.
I've not had a proper trip since 2006 and I feel I need one to plug me back in to where I have come from, as I feel disconnected, living in a world full of money and power, and ego, losing sight of what really matters.
would a 48hr trazodone break facilitate a trip?

Last edited:
Looking at the half-life, 48 hours should be significant.... but mCPP is an active metabolite of trazodone which could linger extra and interact with your trip giving unpleasant side-effects.

You should not discontinue your medication to trip and certainly not follow that advice about switching to something else unless it's prescription and for good reason. I have been in the same boat as you with protracted benzo withdrawals that took all in all about 1 1/2 years to dissipate. I took mirtazapine for a while around that time, for a bunch of reasons though not depression.

If you feel you are out of the woods with the benzo anxiety / panic / insomnia / whathaveyou, then discuss it with your shrink and taper your trazodone to nil. If not, then you should not be tripping, period. (I followed the advice I am giving you now, and have had multiple periods of years where I did not trip, and I am not a labile tripper.)
If you think you are only 'practically' out of the woods with your benzo withdrawals (how long has it been, what did you take for how long / how much?) and can skip ahead with a temporary trazodone break and having anxiolytics or even an anti-psychotic (ideally a better one than trazodone one might say) on hand in case of emergency, the consequences are still certainly for you.

just a reminder about the rules: this thread is not an invitation to suggest drugs. :)

Last edited:
You should not discontinue prescribed medication to use recreational drugs, especially psychedelics, which have the potential to greatly worsen psychiatric conditions. Speak to your doctor if you feel like you want to lower or stop your antipsychotic.

Looking at the half-life, 48 hours should be significant.... but mCPP is an active metabolite of trazodone which could linger extra and interact with your trip giving unpleasant side-effects.

You should not discontinue your medication to trip and certainly not follow that advice about switching to something else unless it's prescription and for good reason. I have been in the same boat as you with protracted benzo withdrawals that took all in all about 1 1/2 years to dissipate. I took mirtazapine for a while around that time, for a bunch of reasons though not depression.

If you feel you are out of the woods with the benzo anxiety / panic / insomnia / whathaveyou, then discuss it with your shrink and taper your trazodone to nil. If not, then you should not be tripping, period. (I followed the advice I am giving you now, and have had multiple periods of years where I did not trip, and I am not a labile tripper.)
If you think you are only 'practically' out of the woods with your benzo withdrawals (how long has it been, what did you take for how long / how much?) and can skip ahead with a temporary trazodone break and having anxiolytics or even an anti-psychotic (ideally a better one than trazodone one might say) on hand in case of emergency, the consequences are still certainly for you.

just a reminder about the rules: this thread is not an invitation to suggest drugs. :)

Hi

I'm well off my diazepam, I micro tapered, and I got well long before I hit omg.
The only reason I am still on the traz is because I have been slowly tapering that.
I only went on the valium for mild anxiety relief.

if I skip a whole dose of Trazodone, then I will feel really bad at the following evening. I wouldn't risk it, but then again, I don't know how you would react to it. still, serotonin reuptake inhibition produces serotonin receptor downregulation, which doesn't go away just with skipping one dose.

if I skip a whole dose of Trazodone, then I will feel really bad at the following evening. I wouldn't risk it, but then again, I don't know how you would react to it. still, serotonin reuptake inhibition produces serotonin receptor downregulation, which doesn't go away just with skipping one dose.
Hi

I reallly regret going on trazodone, all those tripping years missed and all those valiuable insights.

For me tripping is often therapeutic / medicinal as it helps align my thoughts and feelings and bottled up responses I cannot easily express due to my condition, still - and I cannot speak for other people here - I personally don't regret going on psychiatric meds even if I missed a lot of tripping. Sometimes I really missed it, but let's face it - people don't take psych meds because it's nice, we do it because we would, if all is right with the medication, be worse off without it. Don't get in a hurry to trip, just patiently taper your trazodone in agreement with your therapist and carefully try psychoactives / psychedelics if you want to.
If you only had benzos for a short time I don't know why you would have withdrawals, apparently it was unacceptable - bad enough to get a prescription to combat the withdrawals. Realize that necessity, or if it really was a mistake, discuss that with your therapist asap.
There is no use in unfairly idealizing what your situation could be like, get your affairs in order and you should be good to trip in no time.

All psychedelics operate mainly on your serotonergic system so all will be dulled significantly while on trazadone.
Please do not discontinue your psychiatric medication solely to trip, especially if you have noticed a positive effect from use of your meds

yeah I've been on Trazodone for about two years now. I don't regret taking it, but I don't want to keep on like this, and actually started to taper three weeks ago. I'm in the best state of mind since forever now, and I feel good about my decision, but still, tripping will only be an option, if the months after getting off the medication go well....

I recently started to use Cannabis again, which would've been impossible only 6 months ago, and it works well for now, so now that I have my drug of choice back, I'm in no hurry to use psychedelics again...

:)