• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

What is wrong with the MDMA available today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@psy- I agree, I feel instead of coming to anyone one definitive answer we'll instead slowly gain a general understanding.

@Hilo- Really sad they won't take it further, but I know there is government pressure (at least in the states and probably other countries by proxy) to not release too much information. I forget their exact reasoning but it has to do with branding and competition between chemists. Essentially they don't want people knowing which product is better or worse, beyond knowing there is no dangerous adulterants...

I still think that analysis was a good success on our parts though. That was the first side by side done of two samples; one good and one bad, not only giving us % but also the major impurity of the bad sample. It wasn't as much as we wanted but still better than most.

-GC

Sorry to get off topic.
Does the Safrole based MDMA smell the same as pmk cly ?

Obviously the old smell of root bear being the Safrole most would say but is the other way a smellless synth ?

^^Good question that I'd say is still on topic.

Based on what I'm seeing and hearing, much of the modern MDMA that is presumably from PMK glycidate does not have that safrole smell. (Often the smell today is simply described as "chemically.") It's possible it could smell similar if it was converted to PMK then synthed to MDMA, but even that is slightly different. On top of that it's likely many chemists have discovered a way to avoid that step.

It seems that sassy smell is indicative of good product but not always. Back in the early 2000's many pills and product had that sassy smell.

-GC

I'm in the UK and I (because I am very caring of my pet newt) started doing pills in the.late 90's early 2000's. I remember I did 4 maybe 6 of pills that were around at the time and was spacing out so hard I would hallucinate so hard I would talk nonsense and see dragons in the bushes. What could have been in those pills back then to cause this? Mda? I remember having full on conversations with people which ended up being plant pits

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^Definitely sounds like MDA. Or super high dose of MDMA. But more likely MDA. That shit can have you in another world with crazy hallucinations.

-GC

We don't allow the use of SWIM here. It provides no legal protection and makes posts harder to read.

I used to think the same in regards to the smell being a tell tale sign that it was high quality product. However the first stuff I ever tried was white powder/crushed , no smell whatsoever and it was the most intense euphoric experience I've had to date.

I think it might be like this.
PMK Gyl > MDMA = No Smell
Safrole > MDMA = Strong Smell
Safrole > MDMA > Purified = Little to No Smell

I always found that the dirtier the looking MDMA seemed to get me more smashed...possible impurities causing this. But I guess this all leads back into the discussion around impurities causing stray effects or little effects and whether the isomers have changed due to precursor or method change.

^^Good question that I'd say is still on topic.

Based on what I'm seeing and hearing, much of the modern MDMA that is presumably from PMK glycidate does not have that safrole smell. (Often the smell today is simply described as "chemically.") It's possible it could smell similar if it was converted to PMK then synthed to MDMA, but even that is slightly different. On top of that it's likely many chemists have discovered a way to avoid that step.

It seems that sassy smell is indicative of good product but not always. Back in the early 2000's many pills and product had that sassy smell.

-GC

C'mon that's ridiculous though, we have zero actual evidence to support that chemists have "discovered a way to avoid that step" thus creating MDMA without the smell. That hinges on like half a dozen assumptions. We can only logically stick with what we know, this is kinda of like the fentanyl rabbit hole we almost went down a page or two back.

As far as we know, PMK Gly has to be made into MDP2P, just like any other synth, hence giving it the "safrole smell". The crappy stuff I had definitely had the safrole smell, and the vast majority of MDMA I've had has had the safrole smell. In fact, I can't really think of a time I've had MDMA that didn't have the safrole smell (except with the MagicDMA I've got). Considering that I've heard that its likely not much at all is made from safrole anymore, this wouldn't make sense that PMK Gly would create scentless MDMA since pretty much ever sample of MDMA I've come across in the last 5 years has smelled of anise.

I think its more important info, and was certainly news to me, that the "safrole smell" confirms nothing about what it was made from, yet I had always thought the general consensus was that the "safrole smell" was indicative of MDMA made from safrole, since thats what safrole smells like. What is maybe useful, is that I've never seen or had MDA that had a safrole smell to it, its always a scentless white powder (which is why my initial suspicion about the MagicDMA was that it was simply MDA, but lab and reagent tests says its MDMA). What is different about the creation of MDA that leaves no smell?

I vaguely remember someone mentioning safrole had a different smell than MDP2P or something like, but that they were quite similar. I think we'd all be hard pressed to somehow be able to sniff a batch of MDMA and definitively determine which batch was truly made from safrole.

I used to think the same in regards to the smell being a tell tale sign that it was high quality product. However the first stuff I ever tried was white powder/crushed , no smell whatsoever and it was the most intense euphoric experience I've had to date.

I think it might be like this.
PMK Gyl > MDMA = No Smell
Safrole > MDMA = Strong Smell
Safrole > MDMA > Purified = Little to No Smell

I always found that the dirtier the looking MDMA seemed to get me more smashed...possible impurities causing this. But I guess this all leads back into the discussion around impurities causing stray effects or little effects and whether the isomers have changed due to precursor or method change.

That seems to be the running theme to me, Le Junk's good stuff, the MagicDMA I got ahold of, and now as you say your experience, were scentless white/clear crystals.

There is no actual evidence that PMK Gyl > MDMA = No Smell, 99% of the thousands of vendor listings claim that smell for their product, yet PMK gly has been established as the main precursor by a massive majority.

That seems to be the running theme to me, Le Junk's good stuff, the MagicDMA I got ahold of, and now as you say your experience, were scentless white/clear crystals.

There is no actual evidence that PMK Gyl > MDMA = No Smell, 99% of the thousands of vendor listings claim that smell for their product, yet PMK gly has been established as the main precursor by a massive majority.

Well that's understandable then.
What causes the MDP2P to smell in that way or is that just a natural smell it gives off ?

The MDMA I have at the moment has no scent what so ever but I believe it's PMK-GYL based since it's from Europe, odds are definately in that favour.

Otherwise if it's not the smell it could be the impurities caused by the reaction converting Safrole to MDP2P , since PMK-GYL is completely synthetic and possibly leaving these impurities caused a different effect.. but the most pure MDMA was scentless like you stated and I've experienced so that would mean washing the impurities out.

So... i'm leaning on isomers, I mean honestly what do we have other then this.
We've had two MDMA tested and one was stronger then the other for no reason really since both were high purity, other then that it could have contained some left over synth stuff which caused the effect to diminish but I just can't see that happening, unless it blocked a certain receptor or caused a chemical that stopped the MDMA from being more potent much like some chemicals or vitamins before taking MDMA.

Also few posts back Ashley pointed out this.

This paper is really relevant to the topic at hand, not sure if it's been mentioned previously:

"Methyl 3-[3',4'-(methylenedioxy)phenyl]-2-methyl glycidate: An Ecstasy Precursor Seized in Sydney, Australia"
Michael Collins Ph.D. Aaron Heagney B.Sc. Frank Cordaro Ph.D. David Odgers Gregory Tarrant Ph.D. Samantha Stewart B.Sc.
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf

It discusses the cis and trans isomer of the glycidate ester of MDP2P. If these labs are getting the MDP2P glycidate in varying isomeric ratios from the suppliers (which is perfectly possible as they come across as seperate fractions when distilling) this would surely also have an effect on the yields and purity of the MDP2P and in turn the MDMA? Not to mention whatever creative ways they're utilising for possible one-pot reactions as mentioned.

Which is pretty interesting considering the different isomers, I think looking at research from governments we can learn alot such as what is being used to cook as a precursor and also methods. If there was a new method found, that shit would be everywhere by now surely.

@Hilo- I beg you to actually read what I wrote in that post and elsewhere..

I never said PMK gly to MDMA was scentless and in fact I described (in that post) based on other people's anecdotes what it could smell like, that is "chemically" compared to the anise smell of days past. Obviously not the best description but I'm not the one smelling shitty MDMA.

Remember I've only recently tried MDMA with a safrole smell (to good effect..) almost everything I've had before was highly purified MDMA that was often clear with zero smell. I agree that scentless MDMA is often a good sign of more pure product.

And in fact there is evidence that chemists have found a way to skip straight from PMK glycidate to MDMA. We'll start with the report Biscuit linked that showed a sudden change of reductive methods to Platinum Hydrogenation and "Unclassified Methods." Of course we don't know these new methods but I can say that theoretically one could convert the PMK glycidate to Mdp2p then instantly MDMA via one method shown on Erowid for Platinum hydrogenation.

Next we have, I believe your own statement from an online vendor that "someone has found a new ultra easy way to synthesize MDMA." This would correlate with the change in reduction used shown by Biscuit.

Glubra's analysis of two samples both of which contained 2,3-MDP2P glycidate.. Now I can't imagine why anyone would put straight precursor into a pill or bag for sale and often when this happens it's the result of a failed synthesis. If that were the case then it could be presumed someone or some people tried synthesizing straight from the glycidate. My theory is that possibly the new method for whatever reason did not work for 2,3 like it does for 3,4.

And finally, I remember another quote some pages back where someone talks about the fact they've found a way to do a one pot reaction from PMK glycidate to MDMA.

Regarding the differing of smells between safrole and MDP2P, that was me who said that. I should apologize I suppose because unless the person in question is familiar with these slight variations in smell they likely won't know the difference. I can smell a bag and tell if it's safrole or MDP2P, granted I've never taken MDMA with residual ketone but I know the smell from many years ago.

And if we want to talk about assumptions let's again remember that not ALL mdma is made from PMK glycidate, there is still lots of safrole MDMA about, especially in your neck of the woods..

One final thing, lots of MDA I've had even the ultra pure crystal clear shards has had the slightest safrole scent/taste. In fact I just bought some super Stanky dark brown "sass" over in the PNW earlier this summer, probably won't eat it but might in the name of science.

The better question regarding MDA is why it's so rare and expensive over in Europe but plentiful and cheap in certain areas of the US. Higher amounts of MDA correlate well with areas that still see safrole MDMA.. (Canada and all along the northern US border.)

-GC

Last edited:
@Hilo- I beg you to actually read what I wrote in that post and elsewhere..

I never said PMK gly to MDMA was scentless and in fact I described (in that post) based on other people's anecdotes what it could smell like, that is "chemically" compared to the anise smell of days past. Obviously not the best description but I'm not the one smelling shitty MDMA.

Remember I've only recently tried MDMA with a safrole smell (to good effect..) almost everything I've had before was highly purified MDMA that was often clear with zero smell. I agree that scentless MDMA is often a good sign of more pure product.

And in fact there is evidence that chemists have found a way to skip straight from PMK glycidate to MDMA. We'll start with the report Biscuit linked that showed a sudden change of reductive methods to Platinum Hydrogenation and "Unclassified Methods." Of course we don't know these new methods but I can say that theoretically one could convert the PMK glycidate to Mdp2p then instantly MDMA via one method shown on Erowid for Platinum hydrogenation.

Next we have, I believe your own statement from an online vendor that "someone has found a new ultra easy way to synthesize MDMA." This would correlate with the change in reduction used shown by Biscuit.

Glubra's analysis of two samples both of which contained 2,3-MDP2P glycidate.. Now I can't imagine why anyone would put straight precursor into a pill or bag for sale and often when this happens it's the result of a failed synthesis. If that were the case then it could be presumed someone or some people tried synthesizing straight from the glycidate. My theory is that possibly the new method for whatever reason did not work for 2,3 like it does for 3,4.

And finally, I remember another quote some pages back where someone talks about the fact they've found a way to do a one pot reaction from PMK glycidate to MDMA.

Regarding the differing of smells between safrole and MDP2P, that was me who said that. I should apologize I suppose because unless the person in question is familiar with these slight variations in smell they likely won't know the difference. I can smell a bag and tell if it's safrole or MDP2P, granted I've never taken MDMA with residual ketone but I know the smell from many years ago.

And if we want to talk about assumptions let's again remember that not ALL mdma is made from PMK glycidate, there is still lots of safrole MDMA about, especially in your neck of the woods..

One final thing, lots of MDA I've had even the ultra pure crystal clear shards has had the slightest safrole scent/taste. In fact I just bought some super Stanky dark brown "sass" over in the PNW earlier this summer, probably won't eat it but might in the name of science.

The better question regarding MDA is why it's so rare and expensive over in Europe but plentiful and cheap in certain areas of the US. Higher amounts of MDA correlate well with areas that still see safrole MDMA.. (Canada and all along the northern US border.)

-GC

I apologize, I shouldn't have jumped on your case like that, my bad. I didn't want anyone new to the conversation to get any definitive ideas about what we're (trying to) figuring out here and what we know already, especially concerning the subjective smell of a street drug. As far as any of us should be concerned, any smell is an impurity, and the specific smell, anise or safrole, whatever, is an impurity. In places where adulterated "Molly" is common, the smell can be a good way to figure out if what you have is MDMA, but doesn't mean much about the quality and I think we're much past determining what we have is in fact MDMA.

I see a reasonable amount of claims from digging around other forums that stuff stuff made from PMK gly "just isn't the same", but there is no actual substantiation for this other than "well in the good ol days it came from safrole!".

How would you confirm that canadian stuff is truly made from safrole? I know there is a good bit produced in Canada, but I doubt theres a way to definitively tell if what you get has been made here since I imagine there is plenty of international product around as well (I see vendors claim canadian made, but I also see them boast that they've imported top notch dutch product). Basically, its just difficult to tell if someone is telling the truth, trying to market a product or has been given misinformation.

I feel like at this point we've hit a bit of a roadblock, we simply need more information. Maybe you're onto something with the production methods, but we need more intimate info about that, and panhandling for info from vendors wasn't the most comfortable thing I've done lol. And even then, no way to know if the vendors really know what they're talking about (considering half the fucking listings advertise the stupid 84% thing). Might go in for another dig though.

This is what I posted a little while ago in respect of the claim of a new one pot synthesis of MDMA from the PMK-glycidate, made to a Mixmag journalist during his infiltration of some PMK-glycidate chemical factory.

Whilst I don't doubt that some labs cannot properly distinguish between certain regioisomers of MDMA, there's just no way a fully fledged government laboratory tasked by the authorities to precisely analyze all illicit substances for the purposes of prosecution, would mistake 2,3-MD for 3,4-MD. If the lab cannot distinguish these two then the whole process of reliably and accurately identifying potentially illegal substances would grind to a halt. In many jurisdictions 2,3-MD wouldn't even be prohibited and the system just would not tolerate a person being prosecuted for possessing or selling 3,4-MDMA if they in actual fact had 2,3-MDMA.

I continue to come back to the glycidate as being the genesis of the problem and the solution perhaps lies in what these labs actually do with this substance when making MDMA.

Of course high purity PMK glycidate can be easily turned into PMK, that can then be vacuum distilled to provide near pure PMK; this being surely near identical to similarly purified safrole produced PMK, with any MDMA manufactured from this being entirely awesome. However, this clearly isn't what is happening when we are talking about MDMA being made from this particular pre-precursor on an industrial scale.

Have a look at this article:
http://mixmag.net/feature/we-went-undercover-in-a-chinese-mdma-factory
Now put aside what you might legitimately think about the provenance of the article and instead focus on the quite extraordinary statement in the paragraph immediately after the photo of the road with the blue Asian street sign:

He revealed the details of his synthesis to me, and I verified the feasibility of the method with an equally expert but legitimate chemist. It wasn't just feasible, he told me; it was beautiful. "It achieves complex molecular changes in a single concerted step, almost like watching a solar system of planets align". "Elegant" is a good word for it, too. "It's the sort of thing that anyone [any organic chemist] could have come up with once it's explained to you, but really, the first person to come up with this [method] had quite a stroke of inspiration," he said.

If this is true then does anyone actually know what is happening in these reactions and what sort of products might be produced?

Earlier in this thread i cited a European article that confirmed that around the time of the switch to the glycidate, the reducing agent of choice used for the reductive amination step changed markedly from a borohydride to hydrogenation over a platinum metal catalyst. Why make this change unless the reaction is now substantially different to just using pure PMK and pure methylamine like the good old days; does this catalyst allow for a one reaction hydrolysis and reductive amination step which the earlier far more commonly used reducing agents did not?

If this is correct then any number of consequences might arise:

- the product would not be racemic especially if only one enantiomer of the chiral glycidate is used.

- what on earth is produced when the glycidate is hydrolyzed and would this also undergo reductive animation to produce who knows what kind of toxic alkyl amine in the same reaction (and which would be removed by advanced purification steps that others have discussed and which seems to greatly assist)

- there are multiple different PMK glycidate type pre-precursors being used already and no doubt the products resulting from a one ?step? or ?pot? amination to MDMA would vary wildly in nature and number, depending on the specific pre-precursor being used

- what impact might using heavy metal catalysts have on the purity of the product, especially if it is reused in massive reactions over and over again, with the catalyst no doubt being sourced from an industry that is not manufacturing chemicals for human consumption.

This simply confirms that we need to know, to a high degree of scientific detail, the answer to these questions:

(1) The identity of the various impurities found in samples of MDMA these days which are materially different from the sorts of impurities which have always been found in illicitly produced MDMA;
(2) The enantiomeric (S:R) ratio of the MDMA; is it racemic as many people still believe or are many samples out there skewed in a particular direction (likely the R if anything);
(3) The precise chemical identity of all the pre-precursors currently being used to manufacture MDMA; PMK glycidate is one but there are at least several more;
(4) What manufacturing methods are used to convert the pre-precursor to MDMA, in particular is: (i) MDMA being made via some type of "one-pot" synthesis or is there some attempt to extract and purify the PMK first, and (ii) what chemicals are used in the reductive amination part of the process; and
(4) What really happens at a molecular level when these glycidates/gycidic esters etc hydrolyze into separate components and do the "other components" involve themselves in later aspects of the process (or are otherwise not removed from the product produced) - people assume it is simple and assume these pre-precursors simply produce PMK to be used at the manufacturer's leisure in a later reaction, forgetting that there is an entire half a molecule floating around the vessel which is completely absent when purified PMK on its own.

Personally, I think the reality of what we are dealing with is potentially even more complicated than the nature of the discussions to date and which may reveal a considerably worse state of affairs than what we have arrived at currently (which is already bad enough!)

Any thoughts?

Thanks Biscuit!
Really interesting read there, I guess an idea would be to look through raids and stuff throughout the Netherlands and see what's actually there for clues.
Alot of them have hydrogen gas and caustic soda.

There is also a video on youtube of one of the labs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBISUPuVjok
Which surprisingly has a nice big reaction vessel (guessing).

So having that one vessel would that mean one pot method or just a step in the production.

This is what I posted a little while ago in respect of the claim of a new one pot synthesis of MDMA from the PMK-glycidate, made to a Mixmag journalist during his infiltration of some PMK-glycidate chemical factory:

"He revealed the details of his synthesis to me, and I verified the feasibility of the method with an equally expert but legitimate chemist. It wasn't just feasible, he told me; it was beautiful. "It achieves complex molecular changes in a single concerted step, almost like watching a solar system of planets align". "Elegant" is a good word for it, too. "It's the sort of thing that anyone [any organic chemist] could have come up with once it's explained to you, but really, the first person to come up with this [method] had quite a stroke of inspiration," he said."
I heard similar stories from people who were bragging to be involved in manufacturing. Unfortunately, they all were acting very secretively and did not want to give me any technical details.

Maybe this journalist could be persuaded to divulge it, seeing that toxicity (LTC), doses and mortality went up in recent years.
Such information would help me to develop a specific test, tremendously!

...the reducing agent of choice used for the reductive amination step changed markedly from a borohydride to hydrogenation over a platinum metal catalyst.
The presence of MDP2Pol in some samples seems to support that hydrogentaion is occurring, because the addition of hydrogen to PMK yields MDP2Pol.

the product would not be racemic especially if only one enantiomer of the chiral glycidate is used.
Yes, this is very significant

what on earth is produced when the glycidate is hydrolyzed and would this also undergo reductive animation to produce who knows what kind of toxic alkyl amine in the same reaction
We explored this in this post:
Nasty stuff: Glycidol, Glycidamide, Glycidic acid and various prop-2-enoyl compounds which can be aminated to such things as Acrylamide

people assume it is simple and assume these pre-precursors simply produce PMK to be used at the manufacturer's leisure in a later reaction, forgetting that there is an entire half a molecule floating around the vessel which is completely absent when purified PMK on its own.
Yes, when that half of a molecule is not discarded and it is subjected to the same reduction and amination and methylation reactions, as naked PMK would, then all kind of crap is produced.

(3) The precise chemical identity of all the pre-precursors currently being used to manufacture MDMA; PMK glycidate is one but there are at least several more;
Lately, t-BOC MDMA seems to be the fashionable one (see the formula below):

kPZzecD.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.