• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

What is the gunk on the inside of nitrous chargers and how bad is it for you?

Mycophile

Bluelighter
So, I've been doing a fair amount of nitrous chargers lately, even though I had never done a balloon up until a couple months ago.

I guess we can't discuss brands, but the brand I bought before didn't leave a black residue inside the cracker.

However, the new chargers I bought (and I bought a SHITLOAD so I really don't want to waste them and throw them out unless inhaling this shit is REALLY bad)....these ones leave a black somewhat fowl smelling kind of tar on the inside of the cracker.

I heard one poster say that this is "metallic dust which can be bad for you to inhale" and if that's true then obviously I'm a bit worried about having used about 100 of them already.

So what exactly is this is stuff and exactly HOW bad is it that I'm almost definitely inhaling it along with the nitrous???

Is this shit going to give me cancer or something?

I mean, maybe nobody really knows exactly what the effects of inhaling this shit is at all.

And with that question comes the other question for any nitrous users on here: have you ever seen this black tar shit on the inside of your crackers and if you have, did you just keep on using nitrous as usual and just say "fuck it" or did you stop?

If you haven't ever seen this black shit in your crackers, would you stop using nitrous if you ever did?

Like I said...I have a whole shit load of these and I don't just want to throw them out, but I guess if someone came on here and was like "oh yeah that black tar shit could give you cancer or some really bad disease or some shit" then I'd have no choice but to throw them out.

I mean, a lot of drug users have by one means or another eaten, sniffed, smoked or what have you almost any number of "undesirables" along with their drugs accidentally.

Everything from carpet fibers to screens that aren't meant to be used to whatever chemicals can be released from smoking out of a broken bowl to god knows what else....and for some users the risks are worth it and for others they aren't.

Also, one other question I had is: if you use a lot of nitrous in one night, will it actually deplete your oxygen IN THE COMING DAYS FOLLOWING YOUR NITROUS BINGE??

I know it can deplete B-12 and so I take that, and I know that WHILE inhaling you are not getting oxygen and are killing braincells which is of course bad (most drugs do though) but will I actually have Less oxygen in my blood in the coming days after using nitrous???

Could it be dangerous to go to the gym one or two days after doing a box of chargers and getting on a treadmill and running hard??

Like, would you have access to less oxygen than usual 24-48 or more hours later because you overdid the nitrous the night before or a couple days before??

This would be a concern for me if true because I have asthma and I don't want to be walking around like I have altitude sickness or something, with access to less oxygen from my environment than I'd normally have.

I've never heard of this being true, but if it IS...how long would it take the oxygen deprivation to go away?

Thanks

It's machine oil. You can inhale through a tee shirt, coffee filter, etc to avoid getting it in your lungs but it's kind of a pain in the ass. I've tried it a few times but I can't figure out how to do it without losing nitrous. So I basically say fuck it and inhale that machine oil. Unless you're abusing it you're only getting a tiny amount. In the interest of harm reduction I'd say try the filter out, but personally I just gave up.

its a bitch, but if you put a fine cloth (muslin) on the nozel first and put a balloon over it it will capture most of the oil,but be prepared to practice this

The good(ish) news is that its not as bad a smoking (or is that bad news), plus this will help capture a lot of microscopic metallic filing dust that might have been left over from the manufacturing process... as long as you make some sort of filter and change it regularly. As to what the metallic filings would do, a lot depends on what metal the whippets are made from.

The bad news is that these would appear not to be food grade whippets/chargers as certified food grade whippets should be sterilized and should have neither of these.

The mix of the two will also wreck any threads/seals on you charger. I put a coating of vaseline on any threads/seals before I use so I can clean it off and replace regularly... but I now mostly use a hand cracker and use the vaseline to protect the threads from the cold.

Would I use them? to be honest I wouldn't binge on them, maybe a few of them occasionally, but I'm a smoker and my lungs are wrecked anyhow

I used to use between 30 and up to 50 whippets most weekends last summer and I consider that an excessive amount. I had mild symptoms of oxygen deprivation for about 3 months after I completely stopped, but then again I was living and working between 1000m and 2000m altitude for the second and third months so that didn't help my lungs recover either

My main symtoms were shortness of breath, "metallic" type taste in my mouth - I get similar when I'm dehydrated, and jabs, or shock sensations in my muscles (similar to exhaustion). For the last 2 months of symptoms my job was very physical (on skis 8 hours a day, 6 days a week) and I didnt collapse, nor was my doctor worried about it, telling me to drink 4 litres of water a day. I now do up to 8 whippets over a weekend, every 6 to 8 weeks, normally while tripping and find the effects are far better than last year.

With your asthma and everything else you should seriously consider whether doing NOS is for you and if you do, do it in moderation. If you get any of the above symptoms (especially the metallic taste) then stop

A strange fact my doctor told me was that people who smoke actually have a higher tolerance to low oxygen due to the fact that we live with low oxygen every day from smoking.... dont know if that relates to asthma

Last edited:
food grade whippets still have oil in them. it is due to the compressors using oil. nothing you can do but filter it out.

the amount of oil and shit you ingest in a typical serving of cream is negligible so thats why the fda allows it

food grade whippets still have oil in them. it is due to the compressors using oil. nothing you can do but filter it out.

the amount of oil and shit you ingest in a typical serving of cream is negligible so thats why the fda allows it

I stand corrected, however normally 1 whippet is used for approx 10 large servings of cream and EU approval is based on this and the 2011 Austrian food manufacturing regulations allows lower contaminants than this again and why there should be little or no residue from theirs... so if you're doing 10 whippets do the maths.

As long as its done in moderation its fine.

Last edited:
Does this gunk appear in medical grade nitrous? Just curious as I've never seen this gunk before when using pharm grade tanks, but then again It's not like I was re-using balloons enough to form a resin, nor was I ever going overboard as far as dosing. Also, how about recreational consumption of flavored nitrous, is that in any way harmful? I would think not, but that's usually what I have access to and consume.

My brothers a chemical engineer in process manufacturing, so I get to subtly pop in a question or 2 every so often...

Pharma grade has negligible amounts which do not adhere to surfaces while pressurised. The EU is trying to make all food grades the same but are allowing higher levels of contaminants for countries who have only recently joined the EU, or factories who have refurbished their production within the last few years something like a 10 year moratorium. Austria has implemented this. Production from "the likes of china", well they can counterfeit anything, even eggs.

And yes, the apple strudle and whipped cream that brought about the conversation was delicious :p

Last edited:
its a bitch, but if you put a fine cloth (muslin) on the nozel first and put a balloon over it it will capture most of the oil,but be prepared to practice this

The good(ish) news is that its not as bad a smoking (or is that bad news), plus this will help capture a lot of microscopic metallic filing dust that might have been left over from the manufacturing process... as long as you make some sort of filter and change it regularly. As to what the metallic filings would do, a lot depends on what metal the whippets are made from.

The bad news is that these would appear not to be food grade whippets/chargers as certified food grade whippets should be sterilized and should have neither of these.

The mix of the two will also wreck any threads/seals on you charger. I put a coating of vaseline on any threads/seals before I use so I can clean it off and replace regularly... but I now mostly use a hand cracker and use the vaseline to protect the threads from the cold.

Would I use them? to be honest I wouldn't binge on them, maybe a few of them occasionally, but I'm a smoker and my lungs are wrecked anyhow

I used to use between 30 and up to 50 whippets most weekends last summer and I consider that an excessive amount. I had mild symptoms of oxygen deprivation for about 3 months after I completely stopped, but then again I was living and working between 1000m and 2000m altitude for the second and third months so that didn't help my lungs recover either

My main symtoms were shortness of breath, "metallic" type taste in my mouth - I get similar when I'm dehydrated, and jabs, or shock sensations in my muscles (similar to exhaustion). For the last 2 months of symptoms my job was very physical (on skis 8 hours a day, 6 days a week) and I didnt collapse, nor was my doctor worried about it, telling me to drink 4 litres of water a day. I now do up to 8 whippets over a weekend, every 6 to 8 weeks, normally while tripping and find the effects are far better than last year.

With your asthma and everything else you should seriously consider whether doing NOS is for you and if you do, do it in moderation. If you get any of the above symptoms (especially the metallic taste) then stop

A strange fact my doctor told me was that people who smoke actually have a higher tolerance to low oxygen due to the fact that we live with low oxygen every day from smoking.... dont know if that relates to asthma

So basically, no one can really be sure how bad this shit is for you??

I don't think I have access to Muslin cloth...I could try a coffee filter but not sure that would work.

But no one really answered my question as to whether or not nitrous use actually makes you have worse oxygen intake for days or weeks after using a lot??

You said you've gotten "shortness of breath" and I thought I had that yesterday...but I think it was also a nervous tension from being hungover cause as soon as I put a breath right strip on my nose to open it up and drank some chamomile it immediately went away.

I'm not someone who's likely to continue using large amounts of nitrous regularly either, but I'm on a slight "substance binge" so over the next week or so I might use more than I should.

I really only get too out of control when drunk...but I'm going to try to keep it more moderate.

I guess I'll probably inhale some of that black shit...but I guess it's probably not going to kill me....PROBABLY....LOL...

So basically, no one can really be sure how bad this shit is for you??

Correct. In very small quantities it is approved for Consumption by mouth in food products. It may be carbon, it may be oil.
Dentists have been using it as an anesthetic for years, but this is Pharma/Medical grade, in large canisters in a controlled environment.

I don't think I have access to Muslin cloth...I could try a coffee filter but not sure that would work.

Worth trying a few fine filters... you said you had lots of whippets and they were cheap, so experiment. Anything that reduces contaminants is good.

But no one really answered my question as to whether or not nitrous use actually makes you have worse oxygen intake for days or weeks after using a lot??

This depends completely on how many and how often you take it. Give your body time to recover after sessions. remember, your lungs can even clean themselves from smoking tar if you give it time and a break from smoking (okay so this can take years if your a heavy smoker)

You said you've gotten "shortness of breath" and I thought I had that yesterday...but I think it was also a nervous tension from being hungover cause as soon as I put a breath right strip on my nose to open it up and drank some chamomile it immediately went away.

the shortness of breath will not suddenly come on. It takes time for it to build up, gradually getting worse, and will gradually get better when you stop. Look for the other symtoms too coming on after a session on NOS, as they can all be attributed to other causes ("metallic taste" can come from dehydration, muscle spasms/jolts/electric shocks from exhaustion, etc)

I'm not someone who's likely to continue using large amounts of nitrous regularly either, but I'm on a slight "substance binge" so over the next week or so I might use more than I should.

I used to do up to 50 every weekend and got symtoms after 5 months.... I now do about 8 whippets, every 6 or so weeks (at festivals with similarly minded mates) and have no symtoms now. I have friends who can do 30 or 40, but again only when they're at a festival ( 2 to 3 days - 3 or 4 times a year) and they have no long lasting effects, but I wouldnt do this amount now.

I really only get too out of control when drunk...but I'm going to try to keep it more moderate.

I only do it when I'm with friends, someone who can say maybe I've had enough, or take a break after 2 or 3 in quick succession. I also make sure I'm being watched while I hold my breath, because of past experiences. I now only do it when I trip and get much more out of NOS this year than last.

The other problem with NOS is that you chase the Rush so if you have a box by your side, after 2 or 3 you'll just keep using more and more and your comprehension of time gets lower and lower. I make sure I limit the amount beside me. I've notices that if you distract yourself, or have someone says maybe you've had enough that you think about it and normally ask "just one more?", but most people will take a break.

I also keep the empties at my feet so I can look down and see just how many I've taken... again this can make you realise that you need a break. Even the hastle of getting more can make you take a break (but I have pulled a carton of boxes down from a wardrobe, spilling all onto the floor, and taken me hours to repack it afterwards!!!)

It's called "Hippy Crack" over here for a reason :D

I guess I'll probably inhale some of that black shit...but I guess it's probably not going to kill me....PROBABLY....LOL...

I guess its not.

Like everything else, if its isnt used in excessive quantities, on a regular basis and it is used in a safe environment then you should have no problems.

If I look at how little I've used NOS this year, I can honestly say that I've gotten much more out of the 2 or 3 weekends using a small amount, in the right environment, than I did by constantly using it last year

Last edited: