• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

What is the best sleeping pill I can get from my doctor

Interesting. Funny that you mention clonazepam because when i was in the psych ward there was a guy in there who had drank 2 bottles of scotch and swallowed a bottle of clonazepam in a suicide attempt. Thankfully they managed to pump him out and save him. Hwe was lucky the scotch alone didnt kill him. I can drink alot but no way could i drink 2 bottles of scotch.

As I said, if you search that LONG thread on benzos from a few months back, fast&bulbous actually provides the mechanism behind the toxicity. If memory serves the -NO2 (one of the Os becomes an -OH) is reduced to a hydroxy(oxo)ammonium radical which is hepatotoxic. Then, when it's fully reduced to an amine it exerts toxicity via another mechanism.

We back and forthed quite a while - him having some data, me having some other data.

But you cannot argue when you have thousands of examples. as I said before, I had presumed that since flunitrazepam is more potent (so less is used per dose and thus per month) the death rate would at least have been lower but that didn't turn out to be the case.

I THINK RC vendors knew something of this because until recently their were almost no RC itrobenzodiazepines

Their is a firm in China that offers ALL of the ring-substituted benzophenones and those baring a nitro weren't notably more costly. I mean, if you buy (2-amino-5-chlorophenyl)(2-fluorophenyl)methanone you are 2 steps from fludiazepam but for only a little more you buy (2-amino-5-nitrophenyl)(2-fluorophenyl)methanone then you are 2 steps from flunitrazepam which is twice as potent.

OK it's 2 more steps to make flualprazolam or flunitrazolam but we all know that the former turned up years before the latter.

OR maybe it was just that they didn't know BUT did notice that notrobenzodiazepines were conspicuous by their absence and had just enough sense of self-preservation to wonder if their was some kind of problem? Who knows. Only those shady vendors.

At the other end of the scale, people have survived multi-gram intentional overdose of diazepam. In those cases it was suicide attempts (or parasuicide) by people with access to the pure material... they just slept for a long time. I would NOT play that game with a nitrobenzodiazepine. Liver failure looks like a grim way to go.

BTW I read DEA reports and now both the nitazines and flunitrazolam are being produced in Mexico. I mean, I'm hearing of 5mg flunitrazolam tablets which sound pretty dangerous. Like all 1,4-benzodiazepines they only work for 2-4 weeks. After that the body adjusts and you have to keep taking them to stop withdrawal and unlike opioid withdrawal, benzo withdrawal can kill. So I can see them spotting a whole new market. I mean, downers haven't been big for 50 years.

As I said, if you search that LONG thread on benzos from a few months back, fast&bulbous actually provides the mechanism behind the toxicity. If memory serves the -NO2 (one of the Os becomes an -OH) is reduced to a hydroxy(oxo)ammonium radical which is hepatotoxic. Then, when it's fully reduced to an amine it exerts toxicity via another mechanism.
Just wanted to jump in and say that I've been linking that thread to benzo discussions wherever I can - I really appreciate your thoughtfulness about the unintended or uncaredfor consequences that is endemic in RC benzo design, development, and distribution. Your analysis in particular of the subtle and significant risks present with the this lineage of benzo drug development has been really informative for me. I see benzos as a tool that can be use incredibly useful under specific circumstances, and, as something I am cautious about using due to the risks inherent with their use. In particular, I have some nitrazolam that I've been very cautious about using. It is helpful for sleep, and also, I notice that there seems to be second day activity that almost makes you... less present? I'm guessing this is related to active metabolites. Combine that with the physical health risks and it's one to be cautious with for sure.

What frightens me about benzo related decline is the myopia that concurrently manifests - the loss of context over time, almost imperceptible as it is happening - not a path I'd like to walk down. Hopefully you can add this to the list of ways you know you've contributed, and are appreciated. I really appreciate getting to learn from you.

So use my knowledge while I'm still able to give it - that way at least I've done SOMETHING good in this world.

WRONG.

It's the nitrobenzodiazepines (nitrazepam, clonazepam, flunitrazepam and so on) that are toxic. They cause liver damage. fast&bulbous provided a really detailed set of information. Worse still, the more potent ones seem to be more toxic to the liver. I don't think the reason is known. The liver toxicity is from a 2017 study. The Swedish study is from 2012 because THEY couldn't understand it and why they don't use nitrobenzodiazepines any more.

It IS all on here, I promise.

I was also particularly moved by Keif's descriptor of how it happens. I have a version of this that I tell to people when describing the descent into opioid addiction when it relates to medical progression to addiction - how someone starts with a valid injury, and a script of hydrocodone. They take the pills when it hurts. One day , they get home after having a really shitty day at work, their boss was just laying into them about something, and they were also in a lot of pain. Taking that 5/325 hydro made all of it better, including the shitty day with the boss.

The arm heals, time passes, but at some point, that person has a day where they don't have any physical pain, but the shitty day pain is real, and there's a couple of vicodin left in the bottle. That's the moment it starts.

Sometimes, people work in jobs where they are in pain constantly, not enough to prevent them from working entirely, but enough to make them miserable. that miisery fucks with you until you finally act out and get what you need to take the edge off.

Sometimes you have chronic pain and at the same time you have emotional pain, and the two are so intertwined that the opioids become part of of just feeling safe.

It's subtle, but the shift does occur. You suddenly change from living a life in which you are thriving,to a life based on surviving. It is a a distinct line that you pass, I know it was for me. I remember waking up one day after doing dope over the weekend. I was sick. I was feeling it hit for the first time. We laughed about it. *whaddyagonnadooo?* - Dope. That's what you're gonna do. Dope before work this time. because you need to be right when you punch in for shift. And that's how it starts. It's goes from something you do outside of work to relax, and becomes something you do before work to function.

I have often wondered what people noticed in me during that shift. Did I seem the same, was there an abrupt shift? Did I have any tells that I had started down a bad path?

For a while, it isn't even so bad, your tolerance is low enough that you can afford it, pretty easily.... but the creep begins. You let those credit card payments drop to the minimum, before you start missing payments... partially because fuck it, partially because that means I have more money to buy dope.

I imagined that there are versions of this story in the benzo world, but they're shrouded in the memories lost along the descent. That's what frightens me the most about them. Opioids took people and things, but benzos take minds.

I think it's infinitely important here to talk about the definition of "perfect" for a sleeping pill.

I'm highly against anyone taking Benzodiazepines for longer than the 2-6 weeks maximum for which they're indicated or if they're otherwise used on a PRN basis. Benzodiazepines are great medicine, like Opioids, when used properly. Using them properly is a science. If you take too much from the well, it dries up.

They are "perfect" for acute indications. They're safe and effective. If you take them chronically, more often than not, they bite you. This doesn't start as a full-blown dependence. It begins in subtle ways, which is why people who should know better find themselves in the same situation.

It starts when it's a little harder to get to sleep or when you start feeling the pangs of anxiety after you wake up in the morning. Sleep gets a little harder, so you take an extra half a tablet because "you have a demanding day" or what have you. This makes it harder to get to sleep the next night. The anxiety in the mornings gets steadily worse.

This is the moment when a person realizes they're in the maw of something potentially dangerous. How do they get off? It's not like I'm gonna take a week off from work to get off these just for some little addiction. You keep going. The problem gets worse. It's like an event horizon in that once you're over the line, you might feel like you could go back easily, when in fact, you're hurdling toward the black hole the entire time.

By the time you're done, you can't sleep, your anxiety is fucked, you can't get more Benzodiazepines and you end up existing in a half-life of Benzodiazepines making you feel like shit but you're mind and body telling you that you need them to survive.

I know, this probably seems melodramatic. This is for folks who might not know any better. Benzodiazepines are fairly mild in their effects. It's not like when you do a shot of Heroin and you know full well you're dealing with something incredible.

There are people who use Benzodiazepines their entire life without issue. These would be far statistical outliers.

Last edited:
tryptakid - I always try to get that information into the publics space. For over a decade I did a lot of work for Lifeline Publications working with people like Dr. Nuke (Dr. Russell Newcolme) and Michael Linnell of course,

Since it isn't a problem in the UK yet, we would file it under 'possible future threat' but I'm old enough to remember that barbiturate addicts were by far the most difficult people to help - the people in the worst state physically, mentally and emotionally.

I didn't go into the treatment options BUT barbiturates are STILL listed in the BNF and I have a suspicion that the treatment was just to get the client onto a stable dose and then let them 'keep taking the pills'. The UK has recently given up trying to detox people dependant on benzodiazepines which means doctors are WAY less likely to ever prescribe them in the first place and when they do, it will only be in extremis and then only for a brief duration.

You are perfectly correct about opioids. I take oxycodone 3 times a day BUT to a strict schedule. HOWEVER much pain I'm in, if the next pill should only be taken in 2 hours time... I wait for those two hours. Opioids are not a good thing but they tried everything else. You should have seen me on pregabalin - I kept falling over :)

I have boxes and boxes of them and it's REALLY not a good idea but for my mental health, I need a 'stash' as for a good 6 months the doctor would be 2,3,4 or even 5 days late writing the prescription and I got mightily sick.

I guess in the UK, at least codeine is a [P] medicine so any pharmacy will sell you 400mg for £9-£12 which is nice.. IF you have £9-£12 a day spare. I don't.

I NEVER got 'the creep' because it was and is entirely for pain. I'm told that people in real pain do not develop this pattern of use because the associations are different. For me opioids don't stop the pain, the kind of slow it down from a split second of absolute agony into a longer period of less severe pain.

For me, it was throwing up JUST from the pain that made the doctors realize something had to be done. I mean, I'm 52 so I guess their logic is that even if they have to increase the dose after a few year... I will be LONG dead before they run into the thereputic window.

Did you know the US prescribes x10 the amount of opioids (per capita) than the UK does? Here, I'm on 80mg OC (divided into 3 doses) and the pain clinic consultant said that few people get more analgesia from larger doses...

But it's the dose-dumping that gets me. Take a pill... 35 minutes later it begins. At 1hour I can walk.... upto the 3 hour mark. Then 6 hours of NOT being able to walk. SO I guess I would like more frequent doses to solve that (or simply a switch to methadone) because I do not want to get high - I JUST want to be mobile.

But back to the benzos. I noted the Swedish study, fast&bulbous found the specific radicals and a nice diagram with all of the data in it.

But watch out US people - I bet 5mg flunitrazolam starts out cheap and ends up at $10/pill because you HAVE to have that pill and it's SO potent that their isn't much a doctor COULD prescribe. DIclazepam would actually be best if it were on the market and it was developed as 'the methadone of benzos'.

BTW the Ugi reaction now makes carfentanil synthesis marginally more complex than the synthesis of plain fentanyl. I'm told carfentanil is now turning up in parts of Canada.

If their is a 'fentanyl crisis' I don't even know what the appropriate term for carfentanil availability reaching the same level.

Just when will it be decided that prohibition has failed? The stuff is SO potent that dealers could sell $2 hits (I believe $2 fentanyl was/is a thing in some areas).

THAT level of dependence only seems to have 1 outcome - death.

I talked to Robojunkie and YEARS after he stopped using fentanyl, he's still in the acute phase of withdrawal. Doctors simply lack the tools for the job... like the acetyl ester of R-4066 which is x212 M and has a duration of 2-3 days....

Liver damage doesn't kill one in the peaceful positive way that respiratory depression secondary to an acute sedative O/D does. So obviously these people who took lethal doses must have suffered tremendously.

That is quite scary information, especially being scripted a nitro-benz for over 20 years and ehem researching the hell out of a couple others. Shite....

now I am a bit unclear are we talking about a one time lethal dose or accumulated problems over years of use? Or both?

I definitely know a couple people that have tried and failed to OD on benzos. Clonazepam 90mg (i think) Xanax? and ClonazoLam 300 mg. They usually wake up in a ward and out of a script they probably needed. I know one more that was x mg phenazepam mixed with as much as they could chug....they got there stomach pumped within the hour as it was done openly....

The last one I am sure got the closest.... I have heard pharmacists joke the LD50 is however much it would take to choke on it. Granted I live in a very uninformed part of the globe.

Anti-psychotics stop you getting high on opioids? Is that something specific to *you*? That's never happened to me. Thorazine actually INcreases how opioids affect me (and can be used by doctors to lower the required dosage of an opioid or make an opioids effects last longer)

No it is not specific to him! Welcome to the brave new world where they are throwing naltrexone and samidorphan in antideppresants, antipsychotics, and weight loss drugs. If you dont watch your ass you could end up scripted one of these compounds real easily.

they DEFINITELY DO. Shit I am feeling a little disrespected.... Am I the only asshole that has television, google, and the basic drug forum? Id expect more from you chemically enhanced.

"Libvaldi" is a compound of Olanzapine and Samidorphan, a naltrexone analog. There is also a medication called "concave" for weight loss which is Buprion and NALTREXONE.

Please line up single file for apologies. Really I expect someone to admit they were wrong about this or I keep pressin the isue.