View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

what is love?

csrpj

Bluelighter
i'm afraid i don't quite understand... and do i need to understand to give and receive it?

not answering the question but still on topic

on ayahuasca i've overwhelmingly felt "love" in its most "basic" form

not love of someone
not love of something, of an activity, a place, a memory, etc.

just love
not love of everything or of life or else

still, although there was anything to refer to, i know that it was the same feeling as the love that we experience

the feeling was to love what sound is to music
the purest form, yet also encompassing all of its possibilities

overwhelming love, of nothing in particular

(i guess it helps the question in saying that love doesn't actually have to be love of something. it also exists by itself)

A word we made up to describe an emotion.

So to answer your question: Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more.

The answers will come in due time my child. Fear not.

A definitive answer to the question of "what is love"? I won't hold my breath. I think it's really pretty immature to ever believe you have a full grasp of the extent of your or anyone else's emotional capacity.

Hence why I answered the way I did. To try any harder would be psychobabble.

A definitive answer to the question of "what is love"? I won't hold my breath. I think it's really pretty immature to ever believe you have a full grasp of the extent of your or anyone else's emotional capacity.

Hence why I answered the way I did. To try any harder would be psychobabble.
An answer to something isn't always the full understanding of it. I didn't mean in ten years you'll 100% know what love is. Its only a concept meaning there will never be a definitive answer to it. Only what you perceive it to be.

how long is a piece of string?
According to metric standards the length of a piece of string is 1/4 the length of rope.

bbaby dont hurt me
dont hurt me
no more

Hahaha I was thinking the exact same thing, groovy song.

Love is what love is, not a conscious thought. It's a feeling of absolute connection between yourself and someone else. Atleast that's one form. I like to describe love as "madness" because it truly is crazy. :D

I think I'll take a shot at this, since I'm in the mood to ramble. :)

In my opinion, love, like every other emotion, drives a wedge between objective and subjective views of existence.

If you try to view the universe objectively, you come to the conclusion that emotions are at best survival mechanisms, and at worst some kind of confusing side effect of being the gross biological beings that we are. A holistic view of the universe in the objective sense emphasizes passiveness, and awareness (and consequently intent) is merely a transient and meaningless phenomena.

If you instead view the universe subjectively, emotions become the sublime motivating force. We trust personal experience over the usual observation and pattern recognition, and the more inchoate and unconscious the experience, the more we tend to trust it. I think this is what people mean by "going with a gut feeling" -- the less able one is to examine the source of an impulse, the more it becomes a part of that mystical personal identity that we can appeal to for truth.

I think it's the tension between these two perspectives, each of which seem equally likely, that makes emotion so confusing. Throw psychedelics into the mix, which in my opinion make one far more aware of the internal workings of our bodies/minds, and you're practically forced into confronting this puzzling dichotomy.

<<Insert standard disclaimer about having drank too much coffee, having had too little sleep, not having learned grammar correctly as a child, etc.>>

I realized the first time I ever smoked DMT that I had no knowledge of what pure love was until that moment and all forms of love I felt until then was some how fake and dirty.

and do i need to understand to give and receive it?

You can't understand it until you've given and received it. That's just how it works. It's like addiction, you'll realize only when you've become so deep into it...

Ever think they're already tripping? 8)

No because if they were tripping they would know that such a concept is way too large to fit into the confines of a lingual definition. And I don't think they'd venture to try. (I believe this is a question for which acid provides an excellent subjective explanation, hence the suggestion...) That's why it's just called "LOVE". You can't simplify it any more. Love just is. And love is just felt. It's magnetic, natural, powerful and beautiful. Love is the ultimate all-encompassing currency of the universe, always in full bloom. It is a concept that knows no bounds or restrictions. Look for it. It's everywhere, right NOW! Peace...

I would just like to point out that I was the first person to post baby don't hurt me no more, for all those quoting pharcyde ;)

And to Help!?!?!, I have a pretty good understanding of what love is for myself. I just don't even want to hazard a guess at an answer to a question like that for someone else. Words just don't do any justice to the feelings we have, unless you've got damn good words. And I don't. Not that good. Best to tell the man not to think about it and just live life. Most people run into the discovering of what love is to themselves pretty quickly whether they like it or not. And from there we can refine and learn and realise how stupid we've been and how carried away we've gotten and redefine what love is to ourselves. And the process continues on.