View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Esoteric What is a soul?

Chris Timothy

Bluelighter
I know there's a subforum for discussing such subjects. But I want the PD family's views on it in particular.

So let's perhaps leave this here and move the thread over when it has petered out? Or not, whatever, you know, we do we..

for a while i had a lot of faith that the body and brain are charged with electricity, so i always thought that everyone had like an inner light and a soul. i felt like i could see this through meditation after taking lsd. when i was on lsd i'd see flashing lights and think my spirit was like projecting and stuff. for a short period of time i thought lsd was THE DRUG that gave the true connection to our inner electricity or soul. i never knew for sure if the soul could retain information to be passed onto a next life, but i believed the energy lives on and different people's bodies might have different types of energy. for a while i thought i was white light.

after some time i lost my faith in the white energy light that i thought was a soul and then just started hallucinating all random color images that looked about as real as the illusions at Disney's Haunted mansion, i'd see flashing lights in the air sometimes, but not really as often and the light just didn't really seem to be there the same. it was like i started getting totally different trips. not sure if i was taking real LSD for my first few trips and then went on to ordering the analogues, but i'm gonna guess it was all in my head.

i still tend to believe different people have different energies. like possibly some gay people's energies have been in bodies of animals that practice homosexuality more so they have some instinct to be that way, or they just have magnetic type spirits that attract... i always feel like some women all have natural themes to their voice and that kind of comes back as an energy or spirit and maybe it's not just a conditioning thing

I believe in a soul, however, I'm not exactly sure how much of "me" is my soul. When I die, my soul goes back to God and becomes part of...

Does my ego survive? I think not (pun intended).

Going further, though. Does "me" survive? Do my experiences? Lessons? How much will live on and how much will blow to tatters in the white light?
I'd like to think that my essence lives on and continues to learn and grow, coming back or not. However, now I'm not sure that's even the case. Something continues IMO, though.

Every living thing has a soul. It can be passed on as energy and love. Even a piece of living grass has a soul. It is passed on as soul, and how we learn to help each other and about love for each other and allows us to evolve. The energy that creates something that can be remembered and will always be there.

I have the definitive answer on this question, for you however it won't be definitive because you havent received the definitive proof i got to make me so damn sure of what I was taught in the Spirit Realm.

*takes an alarmingly deep breath*

There is one soul, the soul inhabiting you and me and the fishes in the sea. We are all that One, smeared out through different lifetimes. All that lives are guises of you, you and everybody are guises of everyone. Because the cause and effect of karma connect us, everyone and all would be lost if even the least of us, a grain of sand on mars, would truly not be there.

The universe, -you-, hinges on every little thng.bit it is infalliable as its a closed system that can't go wrong.

There is a lowest form of Being, the tiniest smidgeon of something, and the highest form of Being, the totality of everything, God, Universe, You.

hold on.

the universe was one and fragmented into the many, the big bang, decaying into the One agaiunthrough entropy anbd quantum tunnelling.

every possible big bang recurs infinitely, therefore, everything that can be will be in every way forever.

the information you assimilate tacks onto the code that is our soul in your current guise and evolves nany of us into fewer greater forms.

yes you will be a planet, star, galaxy, universe, and ultimately -the- multiverse that emerged from one big bang because they all superimpose.

We expand and contract, eternally, throwing out universes to resorb them.

Want fries with that?

if so, click my noncommercial signature link.

I like that there is that universal continuity which we are all part of.
And I often feel like my body is full of light, which is surprising because rays are not shining out of it, maybe it is a private glow, naturally only I can see it.
Sometimes, I am more dark, I get distracted, stop paying attention to my breath and to the moment, and the light subsides.
It seems to be a side effect of awareness.
awakeness.
something of value that goes up and down in value with the situation, but I do treasure it and would never sell it for fiendish trinkets.

Your consiousness is layered and the more fundamental part of you, is the One who is and therefore connects all minds into its field on consiousness.
God/Universe is the default setting in all of us.

Stepping out of the Ego?
Slap yourself on the back of your hand.
Feel the burn.
Now take a step back in your mind, observe you being a person feeling the burn.
Presto, you stepped out of the Ego into the Observer.
No 12 doses of dissociative or 12 years a monk needed.
I'm doing it right now with my chronic foot pain, retreat from the ego experiencing it.
It takes the edge off
No biggie.

Your fundamental level of consiousness can be reasoned with, as an inner dialogue that is mentally healthier than you are.
Chat it up, purify it from other dialogue, be good to it and it will be good to you even when you're in a coma.

For the longest time, I believed in that my soul makes me, well me. It is a collection of what I like, what I hate, and overall, who I'm as a person, my personality. I was never really big on religion, and the idea of a god/god-like thing was never that close to me personally, but concept of soul, wondering souls and reincarnation just always made sense to me - or at least, more sense then Christianity. The idea that I have the chance to meeting everyone I loved/knew in my life again just in a different one calms me down, and comforts me.

A piece of the divine which separates (but not really) from the divine in order to temporarily experience individuation as it travels on its own.

The ocean becomes the drop and the drop becomes the ocean.

It seems a bit too religious and difficult to conceive of - what exactly is a soul made up of? So we die and this thing somehow retains all of our personality or feelings? It would have to be outside the bounds of any physics that we know. I tend to think once your brain is dead that's the end of you.

Psychedelic wise - what I thought was my "soul" is actually a deep part of my brain that communicates with me during heavy DMT trips - I don't think that's God or a soul - it's just a part of my brain.

A piece of the divine which separates (but not really) from the divine in order to temporarily experience individuation as it travels on its own.

The ocean becomes the drop and the drop becomes the ocean.
images

It seems to me that concordance defines one's personality. All else falls away, leaving only the essential self or kernal of the soul - that which enables and sustains the Life of Service, and survives death.

well I survived the death of sleep last night fine. and went for a nappy poo as well - all good.
I won't be slapping the back of my hand which I learned is self destructive.
In grade ten some friends at lunch started pounding on each other's hands, to see who could stand it the longest
I won but this was a stupid way to demonstrate mind over matter.

The bones in that hand have been weird ever since. do not slap yourself.

Humans have some really aggressive wiring in us somewhere that makes it really hard for us to accept that our individual construction of a self will cease to be after death. For lots of us, no amount of reason or argument can shake that core, even though we can see the body die. I suspect that cultures that have an idea of the soul produce one at least in part because we need a cognitive scaffold to hang that certainty on, and it's as good as the alternatives. As to why we have that wiring, I would just be speculating.

believe in a soul, however, I'm not exactly sure how much of "me" is my soul. When I die, my soul goes back to God and becomes part of...
According to Catholicism we are both our bodies AND our souls, so how much of you is your soul is , as @Cheshire_Kat explained
My soul is the part of me that is not physically part of my body.
so stuff like your consciousness , that cannot be reduced to the brain (even super atheists a la Chalmers agree that mind and brain are not the same) . Then on the day of the Resurrection we will be reunited to our bodies
oing further, though. Does "me" survive? Do my experiences? Lessons? How much will live on and how much will blow to tatters in the white light?
I'd like to think that my essence lives on and continues to learn and grow, coming back or not. However, now I'm not sure that's even the case. Something continues IMO, though.
so your soul will survive ( and probably will have the chance to purify herself if needed, I do buy the Purgatory thing) but you ll be you at 100% only on the day of the Resurrection. Lots of interesting theological problems but I like the fact that despite the common misconceptions, bodies are important in Catholicism, they are part of what we are as much as our souls are

Humans have some really aggressive wiring in us somewhere that makes it really hard for us to accept that our individual construction of a self will cease to be after death. For lots of us, no amount of reason or argument can shake that core, even though we can see the body die. I suspect that cultures that have an idea of the soul produce one at least in part because we need a cognitive scaffold to hang that certainty on, and it's as good as the alternatives. As to why we have that wiring, I would just be speculating.
What a great point,
and if I read it and feel it, the structure of my self or my feelings or my seemingly endless stream of perceptions at ~10 per second, which is all of me altogether, as it includes body feeling etc, all of that.
actually, all of that is not much different person to person if they are open to that aspect of the stream of consciousness.
it is how we are built. whether red head or blonde, thick or thin.
so
even if we die / when we die.
that keeps happening, in someone else.
and even if all people are gone, that keeps on happening in spiders, birds, elephants etc. etc. etc.
so does it cease?
except for this body, this particular bundle of memories.
it continues in other bundles, in other fur, feathers, scales, chitin etc.

This is a fascinating thread. I enjoyed reading the thoughts. When it comes to this stuff I have to keep it simple. My Soul could be the part of me that exists outside time and space.

Of course when you get to spiritual details some people would say the Spirit is what exists outside of time and space but the Soul is the real you. Not sure what that means but some definitions get detailed.

The fact that we can even conceive of a dimension outside of time and space almost implies a Soul.

I like the use of the word that points to something deeper in me

Like sure i like candy, but my soul loves. in some ways the distinction is unhelpful, but helpful in some ways too