• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

What i want to be when i grow up...

When I was a kid, I wanted to be Fighter Pilot. However as I grew up I realised that was just a school boy fantasy. I went to uni, and studied Chemical Engineering / Microbiology. Worked in that field for 3 years, and became bored of it. Then went back to uni, and did a Bachelor of IT degree. Now I'm working as a Network design engineer for a multi-national company. I'm very happy with what I'm doing atm, and if I get bored of doing this, I can always go back to my former profession. Actually I would love to go back to university, and study Marine Biology. I may get to do that still. I feel like some kind of 'eternal student'. :)

It's all good.:)

Being in the airfoce has always appealed to me, some form of developer...

I don't really know.. and I can't really remember either.

When I grow up I'll be famous...

When I grow up I want to be a writer/journo. You know the kind that travels the world making doco's and writing freelance stories and shit like that, publishing novels on the side. That's about as perfect as life could get for me. :) :D :)

I'm fairly happy to say that I'm well on the way to that goal, I think I will end up going to university next year, which is about time, after two years of deferring.

I think the biggest single factor in this whole equation is that before it comes true I'm going to have to fucking grow up. ;)

-plaz out-

I just completed my Bachelor of Science with a double major in Genetics and Biochemistry... My ambition is to one day be a fantastic research scientist. Someone who gets to travel allover the world to tell others about my research..

I want to win a Nobel Prize.

Right now I work as a front-end controller at Coles. I make sure all the checkout chicks are doing the right thing, know when to go on their breaks and apologise profusely for their mistakes. I may not be doing what I intend to be doing for the rest of my life, but I really enjoy my job.

I always wanted to be an Astronomer when I was younger, up until I was in yr9. Infact I always swore that I would NEVER work in the medical field.. my mum is a nurse so I always got the "are you going to be a nurse like your mum when you grow up?", to which I admantly refused. I'm not gonna go into details but suddenly doing research science seemed like a damn good idea and I tried it out for work experience and loved it. Since then I never looked back. I gave up my dream of being an Astronomer when I came to terms with the fact that I seriously SUCK at physics, as much as I love it.

I know I have to put in a lot more years worth of study/work to get to where I want to.. even to get an actual job as a Research Scientist. I'm having a break right now coz I hate forced study and Uni was extremely draining. But I will go back next year to keep working at it.

stace.

BeatBreaker said:
since theres no money in philosophy, unless i start writing books that probably no one will buy

that sucks, but it's true. i did philosophy for my first two years at uni, and even though it was *easily* the most difficult (group of) subject(s) that i've ever done, i did pretty well, and it was a lot of fun. unfortunately though, as you say, there's zero career in it, which is really sad. so this year, i pretty much had to dump my philosophy and keep cinema and media instead. it's unfortunate, but it's always the case. i remember reading somewhere that philosophy is one of the most popular first year arts subjects, but also has one of the highest drop-out rates for second and third year students. i guess this means that someday philosophy will just dissappear off the curricullum, which is quite sad.

anyway, back on topic. i'm not sure; i've had about a million changes of heart. originally, i wanted to play afl football, but a foot injury fucked that idea off, and it has really taken me up until this year to actually get back on track and consider that uni isn't just a back up plan anymore, but honestly my only career option. that was really quite depressing for a while, as i'd invested all my hopes in football, but *at least* i was doing uni, so it's not all bad.

i started off wanting to be a journalist (doing a media major), then realised that i was really enjoying cinema so switched to that as a major. had a year off from media all up, (did just cinema and philosophy) but started writing bits and pieces again over these holidays and realised how much i enjoyed it. thus, i'm now studying cinema and media double major, and hoping to do honours in media next year, my marks should be fine i think.

in regards to a career though, i don't know - it's all so fucking scary (lol, that's one of the main reasons i wanna do honours!). i love writing, and i want to write, right :) but i don't know exactly what to do, and i seem to have little time to actually gain any experience because now that i'm doing my homework (i've never done this before :\) i seem to be doing that *all the time*. so yeah, i want to write...but :)

Re: Interesting...

Cosmic Mist said:
Now i am working my way towards becoming a professional translator/interpreter. I already speak french as a second language, and am learning spanish as a third. I love languages and people, so i figure that this is perfect for me.

that's *really* cool =D

after i've finished my degree, i'm going to attempt to learn french, i love it :) thinking back now, i really wish i'd paid attention in school, as i'd have a grounding in three lote. did italian in grade five, french in grade six, and mandarin chinese in years seven and eight and remember virtually nothing from any of them :(

[edit: lotes = lote. i'm *damn* anal, and it's a good excuse not to do homework :(]

Last edited:
I wish i continued doing french in yrs 11 and 12
and i wish i had continued with cello =|
ah well

Being able to speak French is good, it gets you laid. ;)

onetwothreefour: you're much too nice to have been an AFL footballer anyway. :)

Somehow I'm a web developer (IT/programming), been doing it for three years now and still finishing my Multimedia degree.

I can't stand it.

My first love is writing, I wanted to be a journalist or a writer. Also considered stand-up comedy, acting, psychology, social work and teaching.

"A heart thats full up like a landfill,
a job that slowly kills you."
- Radiohead, 'No Surprises'

Ive been thinking of getting into journalism, but I keep getting told how hard it is to break into...

but, aren't most things like that these days...

Riot Grrrl said:
doofqueen: your not a cancer sign or a water sign are you?

actually im a pisces so yup im a water sign...i actually forgot to say what i do for a living now and that is that im one of those annoying ppl that bugs u at home and tries to sll you stuff..a telemarketer lol and i hate it with a passion and im good at it so meh it will do for now

the most important job that i do however is being a mum and i cherish that more than anything

maybe my love for wanting to help ppl comes from my mothering instinct? i dunno..8(

I am doing what I wanted to be doing when I was a tennager - I'm a psychiatric nurse. However, if I had known then what I knw now I would have become a pharmacist instead. But anyhow...

The harsh reality of nursing is that you don't get a lot of time to put smiles on peoples faces or make them feel cared for. Time and budget constraints mean you have to prioritise and do all the "important" or prescribed tasks first. Plus, as you are dealing with sick people, you end up dealing with all the unexpected emergencies (from minor to seriously heinous) as they come up. So often, the caring part, where you talk with people and try to reassure them, goes out the window.

Having said that, it is not as bad as it was (in Victoria anyhow) a few years back due to gaining various entitlements. I don't know what your state is like. The thing about nuring is you have to be pretty tough -
* tough enough to deal with peoples pain every day;
* tough enough to say "I'm sorry i can't talk with you now" because someones IV bag needs changing;
* tough enough to fight management every fucking time they try * to cut essential staff and services;
* tough enough to advocate for the patients when the rest of the team wants to send some poor sick dude home alone just because they need the bed;
* tough enough to say "I have to take a tea break now or I will fall over"

And somehow whilst being tough enough to deal with all that crap, you still have to provide care and be sensitive:) and try to keep smiling. Don't get me wrong - nursing is a good job, the pay is good (only becasue of penalties), and I have great respect for my colleagues and think I do a stellar job ;) , but be aware it is often really, really hard. And as a psych nurse, we get very few thanks, and quite a lot of crap instead.

doofqueen: if you think you have the guts, be sure to come join the ranks girl!=D

Last edited:
hoptis: ah, they're not all bad, but thanks for the backhanded compliment anyways :D

babydoc: congrats on being one of the only people in this thread who's actually achieved what they want, *and,* congrats on doing a job that most of us would never do, and helping people out :)

also, it's weird how many of us here want to be writers...we should all get together and have a big...i dunno, what do writers actually do in groups? gossip? 8)

ive never had a plan on what i want to be.. even when i was little i never even went through phases of "i wanna be this.." and then a month later "i wanna be that" ive just never wanted to be anything that ive been able to voice.

now that im older, i still dont know. if i had to be something with a name id say i want to be an artist.. i dont care what kind, im good at just about anything i put my hands and mind to... but i dont really want to be an artist, i dotn wnat to be known, i dont want to be remembered. just if i had to pick something id like to create.

im at uni doing applied chemistry, not because i want to be a chemist, but simply because im good at it, and as a career it pays well. because its safe.

the truth is i dont want to have a job, no matter how well it pays, i dont want to do the one thing every day. i dont want to be stuck. if i could get a little piece of land, so far away from everything that i could walk all the way around my tiny house and not see another single sign of humanity, with a big garden to grow enough vegetables to live off, and nothing but my thoughts for company i think id be happy. a lot of people have told me that id go completely insane with no human contact, but i dont think so, and even if i did, is that so bad?? i want to see where my mind can take me with nothing to distract it.

another thing i want to do is walk all the way around the country. live in a tent in a different place every night, with absolutely nothing.. i want to see if i can make it on my own..

i want to be free.