Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

What happened to me? Mimosa Hostilis + Syrian Rue

Pisuanakin

Greenlighter
Hello,

Some background: 22y old male, smoked weed for 1 year almost daily (0.2-1g / day) with some breaks till 29 December 2015. No mental illness history in my family, never had any mental problems, didn't even have a bad trip from weed. Played sports for 15 years, good family, good friends, good environment, stability, finished my first university last year, now I'm at the second one. Overall, I was always motivated and happy like a normal person.

My problems started almost 2 months ago when I did for the 4th time Syrian Rue (4g) + Mimosa Hostilis (9g). First 2 times, I had no trip, although I entered into a nice meditative state after 45 mins each time, went to sleep, woke up fine. Third time, I had a full trip, everything was awesome (the "purge" part, even though it was terrifying, I learnt a great deal from it). After the purge, the comedown was awesome, I felt reborn, everything great, so I went to sleep and the afterglow was still with me. Everything was awesome the next two weeks till I decided to do it again. My reasons? I got greedy and wanted one more single answer to the question "How should I help a friend that was depressed since one bad weed trip?".

Now the dreaded 4th trip (almost trip though): I spent the day mediating, 5 hours before the tea, I went for a drive and for 2 hours I felt amazing and connected with my music and the nature around me. I remember when I was getting back to my appartment, I was full of love and peace, pure joy and happyness (Will smith style :D ). I arrived home at 18:00 and proceeded to my apparently first mistake: At 19:00 I ate smoked pork soy bean soup (I don't know exactly how it's called, but the name I gave you should be enough I guess), which I later found out contains tyramine (i think). It was the first time I didn't respect the MAOI diet (that I strictly respected the first 3 times). At 21:00 I took 3g of Syrian Rue, grinded them with my teeth and then swallowed them with water. At 21:15 I took the Mimosa Hostilis brew. At 21:30, some great panick came upon me, I wasn't feeling right, I felt some nasty fear and something felt wrong, so I decided to interrupt everything and force myself to puke. For the next 10 minutes I puked several times, I even drank some water, ate an orange and then proceeded to puke again, just to be sure. I've spent the next 3-4 hours with a nice portion of anxiety (I was afraid to trip in that moment, I felt like i wasn't ready). I played some computer games in this time, some of the fear went away, so at ~24:00 I ordered a pizza (Ham, Mushrooms, Cheese and Olives). This might've been the second mistake... I fell asleep 30 minutes later.

Next morning I woke up fucked up. For the first time in my life, I had suicide thoughts, I felt nothing for anything, I felt like there is nothing in this world for me, pure depression and some "what the hell is happening" anxiety that came with the package. I felt empty inside, even though I just woke up I was yawning every 20 seconds. I decided to eat something (Mixed Vegetable Soup) and then I hopped into the wank-a-train to see if I feel something from masturbation, it went ok (for who's curious :D ), although after I finished, I felt like shit. I didn't smoke weed for 1 month prior to this, I wasn't even a cigarette smoker, although the next step for me was to go buy a pack of cigarettes to see if I feel something from them. I smoked one and I didn't feel anything, so I started to panic more. I called a family friend whom I trust and I know that she is pretty spiritual and has some reiki control which calmed me a big deal.

The feelings I had that next morning were: horrible depression, some depersonalisation (everything felt dream-like), constant yawning, suicidal thoughts, inability to focus, bad memory, tinnitus, some anxiety, hopeless, severe fatigue, low energy levels, I couldn't even cry, I was shaking and every minute felt like hell). Over the first week I managed to cry for the first time. The next weeks I felt a great anhedonia, the suicidal thoughts were no longer there, I knew i was feeling shit and I was still hopeless, but suicide thoughts (that I will never listen to) disappeared. After one week I decided to smoke weed every night (small amounts: 0.2 joints) for 4 nights, first night anxiety decided to come and visit me, which ate 3/4 of my trip, and the other 3 nights I felt really good, like that "dreaded almost 4th trip" never happened. I stopped smoking for one week, then from 25 december till 29 december I was on wake-n-bake mode. After NYE, the shaking was gone, most of the anxiety was gone, most depression was gone, although I was left with some nasty anhedonia. My libido was really low for two weeks after that night, now it's back to normal. On 6th January, after almost one month since the incident, I felt joy for the first time, I was driving and I was entering in awesome meditative states, I think I cried of happiness and joy for 2-3 straight hours while driving and listening to music.

Each day gets better, but only little by little, which is a bit annoying, some days I feel good for few hours, then for no reason I feel empty again. Tinnitus is still there but with lower volume (although it spikes for some reason every few days for like 2-3 mins), anxiety is 95% gone, I have 50% of my energy back, I yawn less now (even when a random "black cloud" comes over me, I seem to yawn constantly again), I have only 5% of my normal motivation, I can focus on things that bring me a bit of something (sports, computer games, conversations), insomnia (weed related I think) is over, although there was one night where I couldn't fall asleep. Irritability is still here (although way lower than the first days), now I have mood swings, I'm on an emotional roller-coaster, some days I feel at ~80% for like 4-5 hours, then a wave of anhedonia hits me for no reason. Those waves are getting smaller and smaller in intensity each day, there aren't any triggers to them. In the last 3 weeks I ate healthy 4-5 small meals / day, in a balanced diet, I went to bed and woke up at the same hours every day (22:30 - 08:00). I also had some random aches those weeks, one day my head hurts for no reason, then my back decides to ache for no apparent reason

Another strange thing is that on 3 weeks ago I went to an acupuncturist and did only 2 sessions, combined with some detoxing for liver and kidneys for 3 days (in the morning, on an empty stomach, half of a lemon squeezed into a glass of water and drank + mostly vegetable and fruit diet + lots of beets + a daily glove of garlic + sauna + swimming; 4 meals / day + L-Phenylalanine + LODONAL + Ignatia Amara). After 3 days on this regime I felt so shit that the idea of suicide came back in my head, I had severe anxiety, severe depression, I didn't manage to sleep for 2 nights. After this "detox", I moved back with my parents and my sleep improved from "inability to fall asleep" -> "fall asleep pretty hard and wake up every 2 hours thirsty and hungry at 4:00 mostly" to -> "fall alseep way better and wake up only two times per night, no longer with stomach aches in the morning" .

So everything is getting better and better everyday. I'm on a normal diet, I only take Calcium+Magnesium+Zinc supplement, I drink plenty of water, I sauna 5 times / week, I keep myself active and busy although almost all of the symptoms that appeared after the "dreaded 4th" seem to come back randomly at lower intensity with no apparent trigger.

My questions are: What happened to me that night? Why did a natural detox + acupuncture for only 3 days made me feel so bad? Could it be PAWS from weed? and like any normal person would ask: Will I ever get back to normal? Thank you for reading! Have a great day!

My first guess would be MAOI interactions, but who knows. Wait for someone else to chime in.

You will be fine. Just give your brain a rest from all drugs for a while. I think all of this is just you being shaken up from a bad trip. Sometimes when your ego falls hard enough it can have a difficult time recovering. The best thing to do is continue exercising daily and eating well. Get as much sleep as you can find the time for, try to eat a diet rich in serotonin (bananas, chocolate, flax seeds, ect) and do your best not to dwell on those feelings. Honestly, maybe your question was answered. After dealing with such consequences, do you have any insight into your original question of how to help your friend? Sometimes the only way to help someone is to go through it yourself.

You will be fine. Just give your brain a rest from all drugs for a while. I think all of this is just you being shaken up from a bad trip. Sometimes when your ego falls hard enough it can have a difficult time recovering. The best thing to do is continue exercising daily and eating well. Get as much sleep as you can find the time for, try to eat a diet rich in serotonin (bananas, chocolate, flax seeds, ect) and do your best not to dwell on those feelings. Honestly, maybe your question was answered. After dealing with such consequences, do you have any insight into your original question of how to help your friend? Sometimes the only way to help someone is to go through it yourself.

After few days into this state, I discovered the sweet irony, I had / have the same symptoms as my friend. I do not have a definitive answer, although I have a strong intuitive opinion on this matter. Solution for both of us is pretty simple in words: a normal life. A balanced diet, lots of veggies and some fruits, respect the circadian rhythm, respect meal hours, exercise, sauna, have fun (even though it's hard), watch comedies, don't do drugs / don't smoke / don't drink alcohol / avoid sugar, limit time in front of computer, try to avoid television, read books, I would even avoid supplements (i think I should trust my own body and brain with dealing with their own chemicals), avoid isolation, be friendly, and what my Aya trip thought me, just love, even if you don't feel most of it, it will somehow come back (I had few days these 2 months where I felt genuine love). Look forward with whatever lemons life gives you. That would be the advice for my friend now, and that's what I'll do. Although, it would be nice for my soul to know what happened, I have a bit of curiosity there + a will of divide and conquer whatever it is.

My theory is that because of the profound peace, serenity and happiness overall in the meditation before the brew (that boosted my serotonin levels) + a great portion of soy bean soup (a lot of tyramine that eventually gets converted into serotonin) + MAOI (that inhibits breakdown of serotonin) while still having tyramine in stomach + Pizza (lots of tyramine from Ham + cheese -> serotonin), my brain was overloaded with serotonin which caused many receptors to defensively shut down (the same way they shut down in opiate addictions / weed cannabinoids / MDMA serotonin depletion) which left me with fewer receptors + a dopamine / serotonin tolerance from weed abuse in the last year. This is just my personal opinion and it should be treated like one.

What do you think?

LE: Also, sadly, I think I should stop masturbating for a while. Seems logical somehow.

Last edited:
I think you have a perfect attitude, and that this experience could be a blessing in disguise. I'm sure that once you recover, you will be able to appreciate things on a whole new level. Some ayahuasca shamans advise people not to have sex or masturbate leading up to the ceremony. If you think it'll help, I say go with it.

Thanks for the reminder! I always try to remind myself that there is a silver lining in all this. Although it would be nice to learn what the hell happened :D

Rest assured you will recover fully - only a matter of time .

FWIW . I have found bark to be very nauseating ; much more so than acacia leaves . for example . IME mimosa bark is dreadfully nauseating when made into brews - but , it is one of the best materials for preparing crystalline extracts .

Should you live in suitable climate and wish to pursue this most fascinating field of study , you may consider cultivating Psychotria or Acacia . Seed is readily available from ethnobotanical suppliers .

Psychedrlics are all fun and games until you get your ass handed to you on a silver platter.

It's right there in erowid in the effects profile for DMT. Scroll down to negative, and you will see "overly intense experiences", and "difficulty integrating the trip".

I've been exactly where you are now because of psychedelic drugs.

You're on the right path to recovery. As a matter of fact, I bet one day you will look back on this experience as a very valuable and memorable on, even it was jarring and brutal.

This can happen with all psychedelic drugs. Even when one is familiar with a drug, you can always get a "surprise" ass whooping.

These drugs are awesome and valuable, but also unweildly and unpredictable. YMMV. Take care, stay safe, and all the best!

Pisuanakin, please can you provide some more details on your method, specifically how you prepared the mimosa and what you consider to be the MAOI diet.

I can't answer this for sure but have some ideas

There is a lot going on under the surface for most of us. Lots of different parts, many often hidden from ourselves. Psychedelics can pierce through and give glimpses of some of these parts. Then we can react in different ways to those glimpses, including shutting down.

Sometimes there are obvious stories that go along with the different energetic, somatic or emotional dynamics, sometimes not.

It can take a lot of faith/trust/confidence and courage to start peeling back the layers, as there are often many difficulties along the way.