What great band have you just discovered?

Originally posted by TiberCross
ten years ago i would never have thought i'd see someone talking about a band on Kill Rock Stars' label. the first act they signed were UNWOUND. everyone should check them out. when they first came out in about 93 or 94 i thought they were the heir apparent to Nirvana. alas, pop culture failed to continue on the correct route opting instead to sell a bunch of eddie vedder wannabes. unwound probably wouldn't have signed with a major label anyway

albums include: New Plastic Ideas, Fake Train, Leaves Turn Inside You

songs to download: envelope, summer freeze, all souls day, valentine

You must have missed it when Elliott Smith was on the label.

bloc party, i heard they are coming out for a festival im going to, and i thought i would buy their cd to see what it was like... FUCK

what a great CD it is... going from strength to strength, i cant wait to see these guys live...

i think i only got the album because it has a song on it called... "Blue Light" YEA

Finder said:
Originally posted by TiberCross
ten years ago i would never have thought i'd see someone talking about a band on Kill Rock Stars' label. the first act they signed were UNWOUND. everyone should check them out. when they first came out in about 93 or 94 i thought they were the heir apparent to Nirvana. alas, pop culture failed to continue on the correct route opting instead to sell a bunch of eddie vedder wannabes. unwound probably wouldn't have signed with a major label anyway

albums include: New Plastic Ideas, Fake Train, Leaves Turn Inside You

songs to download: envelope, summer freeze, all souls day, valentine

You must have missed it when Elliott Smith was on the label.

no, i said ten years ago i would have never thought i would hear anyone speak about a band from that label.

They've already been mentioned a few times, but the go! team are awesome. They're playing at intonation this weekend as well, it should be a wonderful show.

As for reccomendations, i'm going to favor stuff that most bluelighers probably haven't heard before.

The skeletons and the girl faced boys put out an amazing record entitled git, earlier this year. It's sadly been looked over by popular music mags, but it's a wonderful combination of depeche mode style pop, with more experemental twists and turns. My favorate track is the album ending "do you feel any better?", which combines a dizzying array of beeps and an overlaying melody providing direction to it's chaos.

Also, drinking songs by matt elliott has been a recent fasicination. It's the musical equivilant of a bar full of old men, crying in their beers as the sun slowly begins to rise in the backround, as they slave over their instruments for one last time. It's an atmosphere unlike anything i've heard in awhile.

Also, if one is unfamliar with classic elephant 6 bands like neutral milk hotel, olivia tremor control and apples in stereo, they should definately check them out. They're the zeinth of 90's indie musicans being inspiried by 60's legends.

Not really just discovered. Having been a happy mondays fan I have only just got into Black grape stuff aswell as Shaun Ryders solo stuff. Despite its terrible reviews I love it!

After having listened to them several years back, I rediscovered The Living End and again realized why I used to consider Roll On to be one of the greatest rock records of our time.

i've rediscovered Scorpions. omg, i love Klaus Meine's voice!!!

Originally posted by Ghettotastic_bong

Also, drinking songs by matt elliott has been a recent fasicination. It's the musical equivilant of a bar full of old men, crying in their beers as the sun slowly begins to rise in the backround, as they slave over their instruments for one last time. It's an atmosphere unlike anything i've heard in awhile.

Damn, thanks for the heads up on Elliott.... some of the best stuff i've heard in a while.. As for me , i would say wolf parade this newest ep is some really good stuff..

cxsx said:
i've rediscovered Scorpions. omg, i love Klaus Meine's voice!!!

"there's no one like youu. i imaaagine the things we'd doo."

OMG that song is so hilarious!

I didn't quite realize how fucking gorgeous Sigur Ros can be. It reminds me of playing classical music growing up.

^ ^ ^

Dude they're playing in Chicago. I know you know this, but there's no reason you, we, whatever, can't go. It's sure to be an amazing show.

On topic, Muse. What a great sound they have!!

I think it's a Wednesday night. Which means I can't go. I think they're playing Madison on a Friday or Saturday, so I may try for that.