• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What exactly is Opana in relation to other Narcs like Dilaudid, Fent, Oxy??

painenduser

Bluelighter
Where exactly does Opnana fit into the mix of pain meds? I ask because I have been on a few different pain meds, currently I am in Fent patch 50mcg/hr and dilaudid 2-4mg PRN and it seems that a lot of people seem to say that Opana is like some great pain med and I thought it was basically the same as MS Contin which is just pure morphine. So I am just trying to get an idea where Opana fits in the other pain meds. I would also like to know what the difference is between the morphine type meds like, MS Contin, Oxymorphone, Fent, Dilaudid as I know or atleast I think I know that they are all forms of synthetic morphine, but what family is Oxycondone in? Is it more of a codine related drug? I hope my question makes sense to you guys because I kind of get confused here. Its almost as is, the MS Contin, Fent, Dilaudid, Opana, Oxymorphone are all morphine based and the Oxycodone, Hydrocodone, are all in the codine family? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I could really use the clarification. If this questions make absolutely no sense what so ever feel free to let me know that too lol.

Thanks

Last edited:
Oxymorphone (Opana) is actually more potent than morphine and nearly all other opioids (fentanyl is more powerful dosage-wise).

You are correct in your association with oxymorphone and hydromorphone with morphine - and oxycodone and hydrocodone with codeine.

In my experience, oxymorphone is one of the most powerfully sedating opiates out there (even moreso than morphine or hydromorphone). YMMV.

So then I guess thats why I hear people always regard Opana as being a "better high" then the morphine based meds, I don't here people saying much about the others as much as the Opana, while it's nice to know it can give you a better high, I am more interested in which would give me better pain relief with out making me high to the point that I would be non-functional because the sedating factors are higher. I personally like the Fent, Dilaudid mix as they tend to perk me up while doing a great job at alleviating my pain. I would much more prefer the pain relieving factor vs the sedating factor.

PS Thanks for that link you provided. That was very helpful and since they are treating my pain as though it is cancer at this point since they can not find any other cause so they aere sending me for a full liver cancer work up (Scares the SHIT OUT OF ME). Thanks!!!

I can't really comment on oxymorphone's pain killing abilities because my only use of it has been in a recreational setting...

I'm sure somebody will come along sooner or later who's had pain management experience with Opana - assuming you've read the Opana megathreads and all that. If you like Dilaudid (hydromorphone) - you'll love oxymorphone...although it is more sedating than hydromorphone. My experiences with both hydromorphone and oxymorphone nearly all involved nodding out unless I combined them with stimulants...

Oxymorphone is generally regarded as one of the most effective painkillers, although people respond differently so YMMV as NT said..

Here is a paper I know of comparing oxymorphone analgesia to oxycodone :)

If you're concerned about sedation it may not be ideal for you.. something to discuss with your doctor if your current meds aren't working though.. good luck with your investigations!

Thanks Effie! I sent you a quick PM, please read before you yell at me lol :) Missed you! I will definitely read the link. It's not that I am unhappy with my current meds, it's just that I think I need a change as I have become very tolerant to Hydromorphone since I have been on it for 2 years now, and I need to high of a dose that Dr's are not willing to put me on to get the relief most people would get with 2 or 4 mgs. So I was thinking of discussing with my Dr a change up in the meds due to the tolerance issues.

Opana taken orally doesnt have much bang since its BA is low when taken orally & if you have a tolerance, it may not work as the desired effect you are looking for...........since you're looking for something not too sedating, wouldnt oxycodone be a better avenue?

Opana taken orally doesnt have much bang since its BA is low when taken orally & if you have a tolerance, it may not work as the desired effect you are looking for...........since you're looking for something not too sedating, wouldnt oxycodone be a better avenue?

Sadly thats the problem with Dilaudid too, its oral BA is completely horrible, which I know what some of you are going to say, ooohh sure you say you don't take it to get high but you do that??! Well it's true the Dilaudid because its has such horrible BA orally, I actually tend to insufflate it as it has a much higher BA that way and it stays in my system for the full 4 hours. Orally, I am lucky if it does anything, if fact at 2mg oral it doesn't even have any effect on me. This is one of the reasons why I really think I need to take a different medication. I would like to just swallow the damn pill like I am supposed to and still get relief. I know that sounds ridiculous and I know that absolutely no one is going to believe me, but I am not here to win a popularity contest, and I really don't care who believes me but it is what it is. But anyway, yes lostboys, I am not looking for something that is going to be too sedating because while it would help with the pain I am sure, I don't like the idea of nodding off and being completely useless, although with my liver disease and the pain that I am in, I am pretty much useless as it is anyway lol. Basically I would like something that works just as well as the Fent and the Dilaudid, but I just don't want to have to take so much so my thinking is that if I switch to something else that I haven't taken before, my tolerance would not be so high since I have never taken the other meds before, or is that a pipe dream, if I have the tolerance to the Dilaudid, I am assuming I will quickly become tolerant to anything pretty quickly? Part of the problem is that when I am in serious pain and I can't control it at home, I go to the ER and they are hesitant to give me 4mg's because they say it too much. The last time I was admitted to the hospital I had mastoiditis and as my ear drum was perforating the pain was so bad they had me on a 75mcg Fent patch and 4mg IV Dilaudid every 3 hours and 2mg PO every 3 hours but then they sent me home they sent me with 50mcg Fent and 2mg Dilaudid PO PRN and I was in major WD's!!! I was back in the ER to get a taper dose to put me back down to that I was on. It's very frustrating. So I dunno what to do. I was asking about the Opana because everyone I was talking too said it was much stronger and would probably be the best for me to go on with the Fent 50mcg patch. And I just could not figure out where or how the Opana fit in to the mix ie, what family of narcs it was in as well as it's strength compared to what I am on now.

However, I was having some other issues so I haven't read the links to the documents the others had sent and I plan to read through those now. Good news is thus far most of the questions I had have been answered so now I have something to talk to my new pain mgt Dr with next month. Before I see him though I have to go for a liver biopsy and some additional tests to R/I or R/O liver cancer (Which has me scared shitless if I haven't said that already!). So if you know anyone who have liver cancer they will tell you that the pain can really be outrageous!!

In the meantime I do have to say "GO BLUE!!!!" as you guys have always been very helpful. My current pain mgt Dr love dealing with me because he usually doesn't have to think much for me as he appreciates how much I know about my meds, though I refuse to tell him anything regarding way I have to take the Dilaudid to get the relief from it. Thanks again everyone!

I just pray (in the best way an agnostic can pray) that cancer turns out to be a non issue!

Last edited:
According to the "American Medical Association Guide to Prescription and Over-the-Counter Drugs" book I have here from 1988 published by Random House and written by a bunch of doctors - this is what it says about oxymorphone in relation to morphine.

Developed in Germany in 1914, it has a lower incidence of side effects compared to morphine. Clinical studies have shown that therapeutic and supratherapeutic doses produce lower incidences of respiratory depression, constipation, sedation, pruritus, euphoria, and nausea.

It says the same thing for hydromorphone.

Last edited:
Sadly thats the problem with Dilaudid too, its oral BA is completely horrible, which I know what some of you are going to say, ooohh sure you say you don't take it to get high but you do that??! Well it's true the Dilaudid because its has such horrible BA orally, I actually tend to insufflate it as it has a much higher BA that way and it stays in my system for the full 4 hours. Orally, I am lucky if it does anything, if fact at 2mg oral it doesn't even have any effect on me. This is one of the reasons why I really think I need to take a different medication. I would like to just swallow the damn pill like I am supposed to and still get relief. I know that sounds ridiculous and I know that absolutely no one is going to believe me, but I am not here to win a popularity contest, and I really don't care who believes me but it is what it is. But anyway, yes lostboys, I am not looking for something that is going to be too sedating because while it would help with the pain I am sure, I don't like the idea of nodding off and being completely useless, although with my liver disease and the pain that I am in, I am pretty much useless as it is anyway lol. Basically I would like something that works just as well as the Fent and the Dilaudid, but I just don't want to have to take so much so my thinking is that if I switch to something else that I haven't taken before, my tolerance would not be so high since I have never taken the other meds before, or is that a pipe dream, if I have the tolerance to the Dilaudid, I am assuming I will quickly become tolerant to anything pretty quickly? Part of the problem is that when I am in serious pain and I can't control it at home, I go to the ER and they are hesitant to give me 4mg's because they say it too much. The last time I was admitted to the hospital I had mastoiditis and as my ear drum was perforating the pain was so bad they had me on a 75mcg Fent patch and 4mg IV Dilaudid every 3 hours and 2mg PO every 3 hours but then they sent me home they sent me with 50mcg Fent and 2mg Dilaudid PO PRN and I was in major WD's!!! I was back in the ER to get a taper dose to put me back down to that I was on. It's very frustrating. So I dunno what to do. I was asking about the Opana because everyone I was talking too said it was much stronger and would probably be the best for me to go on with the Fent 50mcg patch. And I just could not figure out where or how the Opana fit in to the mix ie, what family of narcs it was in as well as it's strength compared to what I am on now.

However, I was having some other issues so I haven't read the links to the documents the others had sent and I plan to read through those now. Good news is thus far most of the questions I had have been answered so now I have something to talk to my new pain mgt Dr with next month. Before I see him though I have to go for a liver biopsy and some additional tests to R/I or R/O liver cancer (Which has me scared shitless if I haven't said that already!). So if you know anyone who have liver cancer they will tell you that the pain can really be outrageous!!

In the meantime I do have to say "GO BLUE!!!!" as you guys have always been very helpful. My current pain mgt Dr love dealing with me because he usually doesn't have to think much for me as he appreciates how much I know about my meds, though I refuse to tell him anything regarding way I have to take the Dilaudid to get the relief from it. Thanks again everyone!

I just pray (in the best way an agnostic can pray) that cancer turns out to be a non issue!

You do know Opana was switched over to a new formulation where you cant snort it like you could 1 month ago or previously to that?

It has so many fillers & binders in there now like the new OP's.........thats why I wrote saying Opana wouldnt do much for your pain. A lot of people are complaining about the new Opana's just like they were with the new OP's unless you can get the IR Opanas, then you are talking about a good pill from what I heard.

Opana and OxyMorph is waaay weaker the those F Patches!! (FUCK that PATCH!!!!

Where exactly does Opnana fit into the mix of pain meds? I ask because I have been on a few different pain meds, currently I am in Fent patch 50mcg/hr and dilaudid 2-4mg PRN and it seems that a lot of people seem to say that Opana is like some great pain med and I thought it was basically the same as MS Contin which is just pure morphine. So I am just trying to get an idea where Opana fits in the other pain meds. I would also like to know what the difference is between the morphine type meds like, MS Contin, Oxymorphone, Fent, Dilaudid as I know or atleast I think I know that they are all forms of synthetic morphine, but what family is Oxycondone in? Is it more of a codine related drug? I hope my question makes sense to you guys because I kind of get confused here. Its almost as is, the MS Contin, Fent, Dilaudid, Opana, Oxymorphone are all morphine based and the Oxycodone, Hydrocodone, are all in the codine family? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I could really use the clarification. If this questions make absolutely no sense what so ever feel free to let me know that too lol.

Thanks

BE CAREFULL Fellow Guybro! My friend got hit by a car going 45+ and gave emm small amount of patches. Cpl months later he wore 4-6 patches. He withdrew so hard he started doing Black (H) One night he was tired of withdraws and OD....
="( I wish I could have dragged his ass to our nearest Methadone clinic. Fuken sucks, and i feel guilty to this day. Be carefull man. I just turned 30. Summer right before my Señior year i was riding a fullbpipe close to my house from the city. I carved hard and cought air. Mybhand slipped in the air. Landed on my hamdlebars and broke ribs. I was very anti social and hatefull. I wanted to ride but ribs where hurting like a motherfuck. Popped 3 and that shit changed ny life. Now im all crazy social and a gentleman from the hood!!! I just recentlly tried (H) before that i took oxycodone/hydrochloride and 80mg OC/OP AND Opanz! As well as Norx and Prcs. Loves railing a full blue and a ladder of 4+1 then stirring it. Now im on Methadone. If you do it right its Famtastic. I was shy to up my dose from 90-160. I have a very kick ass Motabolism so 90 didnt hold its half life. I disnt want to go up but after he dropped some facts I did. Im 150mg and I dont no out like those baby's that cant take 90...hahah

Dihydromorpone (= hydromorphone = Dilaudid) and oxymorphone = (14-HO-dihydromorphone) both have similar modifications to the molecule of morphine, the end effect of which is to make the pharmacologically much similar to heroin (= dramatically more potent by injection, high degree of lipophilicity = stronger rush and quicker onset, etc.) which is why they are among the most desired pharmaceuticals among recreational users; oxymorphone is pretty much the "holy grail" of recreational pharmaceuticals as it provides the best facsimile, with a much longer half-life (unlike Dilaudid, which has most people reaching for the needle within a few hours after taking a single shot); it is in fact possibly a better opiate than heroin, which has more complex (well, simpler in a way, but it's a larger, "bulkier" molecule, but the bulk (diacetyl/dihydro go in the same place) is responsible for the propeties in question, at oxymorphone adds an oxygen in a different place altogether, to put it in simple layman's terms it makes it even more so, so to speak), but not dissimilar, fundamental modifications to the barebones morphine structure, to hydromorphone, with favorabile pharmacokinetics to it including a longer half-life. Fentanyl is not, recreationally, a very interesting drug, although it is super-potent. Oxycodone is of course very popular as well and has a higher oral bioavailability, but for the intravenous drug user, Opana and Dilaudid are the best substitutes you will find legally for heroin in the U.S. Both of them are extremely dangerous if you do no account for the very large difference between the amount you need to take orally vs. the amount needed for injection (the difference in the case of Opana is an order of magnitude, i.e. the oral BA is just 10%, a wider margin even than heroin.) All of these meds including morphine have a terrible oral bioavailability (thus being much, much stronger by injection) but oxymorphone is by far the most so. Morphine and heroin have similar margins with heroin being a little wider, both being effected to a minor degree by stomach contents, but not a huge amount. But the relative difference between oral and intravenous injection between Opana and the others is 3-4x or even more depending on formulation, etc.

Last edited:
OK, so I have been a pain patient for the past 30+ years and I am now on Opana ER 40mg twice a day. My insurance will only pay for the generic without going the route of preauths and all that crap. So, I now get these orange pills in my bottle. I have learned to make due since my body has adjusted to the same amount of meds for the past 6 years. Hence I now snort them. Much better result and I know this is a never ending chase but so far, so good. Yes, the generic can be crushed into fine powder and yes, they are fucking strong! Like I wrote in another thread, if I've had to taper down to get my meds to last till the next script fill date, when I line up the first line, my stomach starts doing flips knowing what's coming, it's really UFB! And on occasion, a few seconds to minutes after the first hit, I have to step out of my car and barf. It's just such a shock to the system but it doesn't take long and all is well and I'm doing my half a pill every 6 hours or so. Please be careful with this drug. My experience is that it's kind of like alcohol, at first it hypes me up and I'm all wound up and after a little while, it's sleepy time. Again, please be careful driving or whatever, this stuff is no joke when taken up the nose!

Yeah, I should definitely add that what I say about the bioavailability difference applies to snorting too, I couldn't say off hand what the actual numbers are, obviously it's less than intravenous, but ballpark I'd suspect a 4-5x the effects at the very least; whatever the numbers actually are, this is a drug that will kill you if you take your accustomed oral dose by other routes. This is not necessarily the case with oxycodone (although for people without substantial tolerances, it's possible), and in all cases the user should expect a dramatic increase in potency, and "start low, go slow," but Opana is the king of these. Even fentanyl has a better oral bioavailability (and as an obiter dictum fake opiates, e.g. oxies, made from fentanyl, often kill people in this exact way, because with oxycodone, the difference much less than with fentanyl.)

The nausea you're experiencing suggests that you might be able to cut down the dose a bit (but on the other hand you will probably become tolerant to it anyway) but junkies know well the sensation of throwing up after a good hit (we used to call that "copping a puker" which meant that it was good shit but it had just that effect in the beginning.) Although with heroin for me, it goes like this, hit → nod → pleasant active buzz; oxycodone is a little less noddy; Dilaudid is too short for this to mean anything, really; I've never actually taken Opana. But if I could get it (although I'm on Suboxone now and don't intend to go back to regular opioid use, plus I hear it's crazy expensive on the secondary illicit market; expensive on the legitimate market too, as the poster above me has seen, and not a favorite of insurance companies for obvious reasons), I'd definitely be very, very careful, and I'm an individual who used to think quite little of shooting a bundle or two+ of good dope or quite a few OC80's.

although I'm on Suboxone now and don't intend to go back to regular opioid use, plus I hear it's crazy expensive on the secondary illicit market;

You heard right.

Painenduser, I think you might get more out of an instant release oxycodone like Roxi than you would from Dilly for breakthrough pain because of the aforementioned longer half life. A fent patch will keep a continuous supply of painkiller in your system but when the pain rises to unmanageable levels, adding a longer-lasting oral instant release may work better to "get you over the hump".

I think the only question that wasn't answered is that fent is a fully-synthetic opioid, the others are all derived from codeine and are known as "semi-synthetic".

Last edited:
I think if opana ever showed up around here, or was somehow injured and asked to take it, instead of my subutex.. Oxymorphone was such an incredible drug IV and sniffed! It is probably the only opioid/opiate that would cause me to possibly relapse if I somehow acquired it, and was given access to it, as I haven't even touched a full agonist opioid in well over a year now.. still on subutex though, and love it too.. been taking my subs everyday for a long time. Don't plan on relapsing again, or even touching opis, unless opana is somehow given to me, as it is literally like finding gold in my area these days.. lot less pills, excluding diladids and oxy IRs which are both way over priced.. and not worth it, I would rather take subs, because they last much longer, and keep me from blowing my entire paycheck in 1-2 days.. which is what I did when I was an opioid addict, I banged any and every possibly bangable opioid there was, and loved it.. but hated how it lasted so little compared to subs. Even when I started doing larger, less safe amounts of like oxy, dilaudid.. or H, with the occasional, very occasional opana! Opana IR and ERs were both around a lot actually like 6-7 years ago when I really got into opioids. I cant ever forget the feeling they gave me, even when sniffing, instead of IVing, for whatever reason, I got almost just as an incredible, perfect imo, opiate feeling, and was just in another place for like 2 hours, off like 10-20mg or something, a relatively larger dose than should have been done intranasal at the time.. I nodded like never before, having only really tried oxycodone opioid wise before trying opana, not too much later than the oxy.. any and all pharm opiates/opioids were EVERYWHERE here back then, and like 1/4 of the price too.. that is one reason I got so addicted to oxy, after I tried it just once.. an oxy IR..

Anyways, opana WHEN IV'ed(which isn't recommended by me, for obvious HR reasons, and only can be done with the IRs totally perfect.. all opana/oxymorphone ERs gel up when water touches them.. it sucks.. It hasn't ever been a problem for me up the nose though, and works great that way.. so easy and convenient too.. Oral opana, is useless.. unless you took ridiculous, dangerous amounts or are just one of the lucky people who opana works well for when taken oral.. But ime and opinion, its useless and a total waste when taken that way.. when sniffed its literally like 5x or more, even.. stronger than oral is.. IV is 100% BA, so it takes the cake as best ROA, but worst one from an HR standpoint, although it might be the best feeling I have ever felt, slamming like 20mg of opana IR once.. pure bliss! For hours too... it was incredible, if your already an IV user, than if you get opana IRs your prob going to want to bang em.. but to those who don't know much or haven't ever taken opana, start out small, work your way up, and just sniff it.. and maybe plugging is a good ROA too? I would think so, but idk.. I haven't ever tried it that way before.. but I have had much success with plugged oxy once or twice.. which was awesome when done that way, just hate the feeling of when the oral syringe goes in there.. ughh.. very awkward! and it is a very time consuming, prep wise, ROA that way.. takes longer than IV prep and use.. but is sooo much safer than any other ROA, like oral, but I'm sure it has a much better BA this way, than with oral.. oral is the biggest fucking waste of opana ever! worst pill oral, best pill IV or sniffed. much like dilaudid!

ime oxymorphone was (IV-wise) less intense but more "warm and comfortable" than hydromorphone. I stand by dilaudid being the crack of opiates.. intense rush, wears off fast. can't redose too soon. prolly better than true H rush but not nearly as lasting. WONDERFUL if say you're having a kidney stone or bad migraine and the ER doc is kind enough to give you 2-4mg IV, allowing you to discuss the issue with the doc.

*note, triage nurses don't take your word on how bad you're hurting, genuine pain will cause a big rise in pulse and BP; I've been screwed by taking my BP meds before going to the ER :( even given tramadol alongside my 60mg Prozac daily; which resulted in a seizure in a couple days...