• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What drugs are typically used to stop a drug overdose in the ER?

I too was wondering about the cross tolerance. I guess it is possible that the mechanisms for tolerance are different for benzos and barbituates but cannot find evidence supporting this. I imagine the kinetics of phenobarb, particularly its long half life that are useful in acute withdrawal.

Have no idea about temazepam, never heard of it acting like a barbiturate.

The wiki article suggests that nAChR may play a major role in Barbiturate dependency. Barbs also block AMPA directly and have a very broad effect on all ligand-gated ionotropic receptors (nAChR, AMPA, 5HT3, GlyR) it's possible (actually it's not just possible, it's plausible) this mechanism definitely contributes to why the Phenobarb taper works.

Otherwise your guess is as good as mine.

Also, I should say that there is also evidence showing that benzos block nAChR directly as well. The same study, I believe I remember reading that it interfered with the ionotropic Glutamate receptors as well. But I can't find the study. Should be in my Zolpidem thread tho. So I'll see if I can pull it from there.

When I overdosed on meth, they gave me 4 shots of ativan over the course of an hour. My heart rate was 200+, my temp was over 105, and they narcaned me twice on the ambulance ride over because I had done a goofball (heroin+meth)